View Poll Results: which is better?
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2005, 05:05 AM   #21
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
one problem with the GM kit.....yeah you can up the boost with a smaller pulley, but without it being intercooled, you're just forcing more hot air in there. there's only a certain point you can up the boost to, and its not very much, before you wont gain anything more because the computer is retarding the timing so much for all that hot air, you wont be pushing any more power......and with that i still say go turbo.....
Old 06-30-2005, 08:46 AM   #22
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm......i wonder...............TURBO!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #23
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
<<<------------- turbo
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #24
urweak

Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521@Jun 30 2005, 04:05 AM
one problem with the GM kit.....yeah you can up the boost with a smaller pulley, but without it being intercooled, you're just forcing more hot air in there. there's only a certain point you can up the boost to, and its not very much, before you wont gain anything more because the computer is retarding the timing so much for all that hot air, you wont be pushing any more power......and with that i still say go turbo.....

Yea, if you want to run more then say 12psi, then the GM charger isnt for you. But i dont think you can go any higher in boost with the RSM kit anyways, after you get the stage two kit.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #25
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
stage 2 is like only 9psi
Old 07-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #26
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
so is the GM kit any good? i mean...the price is a lil more reasonable, and you get warranty on the damn thing if installed by a certified GM tech..which my buddy is...and he'd buy the kit for me at his cost

so..if i were to go with GM, am i gonna regret it or what?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #27
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
it is a good kit and if upto 8psi would be enoough for ya then get it.

the kit is a good kit, comes with everything. bolt on and go.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #28
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

well i'm about 95% sure i won't want more then 8psi for a while, thats the route i'll go then...especially if i can get the damn thing at near cost and free install...
Old 07-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #29
urweak

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@Jul 5 2005, 09:48 AM
well i'm about 95% sure i won't want more then 8psi for a while, thats the route i'll go then...especially if i can get the damn thing at near cost and free install...

I would go for it, the only think that doesnt come with the kit is the reflash, but that cant be more then say 100 bucks, and since your buddy is a GM tech its probably cheaper.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:08 AM   #30
Oldsman
Owner

it does come with it. but according to dealership you still have to pay $80-$100 for the time. so the cost of the reflash is free but not install.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #31
Final-Reality

The whole "Turbo/Supercharger" question is pretty vague and generally won't help anybody. The question should how much do you want to spend? :P

For all practicality purposes, the GM supercharger kit is a pretty damn good deal. For $2500 you get everything you need, and you get a re-flashed ECM which means it'll run as smooth as it did without the charger. Sure stock it's only putting out 190HP, but with some simple upgrades like a custom CAI, pulley, 62MM throttle body and a full header/3" exhaust, you can be in the 230+HP range like that. Do some internal engine work, like a mild bore, give your head a good port job and add some cams from JBodyPerformance.com (some of the best grinds out there) and you can be at 300HP in no time.

If you want to spend a lot of cash, then forget all that junk and start putting together a good turbo kit. You'll need a properly-sized turbo for the engine and amount of boost you want to run, a turbo manifold or preferably turbo header, and an intercooler just for starters. Having a friend who can bend and weld aluminum piping for cheap wouldn't hurt either. You'd also want to again do head work and get new cams, and also beefier pistons and rods and better bearings since you'll likely be running anything from 12-25 psi. Then you'll want a good engine management system. A piggy-back style like an Apexi S-AFC that reads info from both the engine and the ECU and tells one another whats going on and what to do can be used with pretty good success, but some people never get their car fully-tuned properly and they almost always have problems somewhere in their power band, usually either at idle, under WOT with low engine revs or under WOT with high engine revs. A full engine management system like the ElectroMotive TEC3 can allow you to properly tune your engine perfectly at all engine RPMs and under all conditions, but they're expensive and take quite a bit of know-how and work in order to get to that point. You could easily be running 400HP as long as you spend money in the right places, IE a lot of headwork (the stock head flow numbers are crap), well-chosen cams and engine management. Thats why the GM S/C kit is a good deal, the reflash represents a lot of hard work already done for you :P

Either choice is a good one, but the GM S/C kit would be the cheaper of the two and with some extra work you'll have a car that will be plenty of fun to drive.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #32
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Jul 10 2005, 12:54 PM
Either choice is a good one, but the GM S/C kit would be the cheaper of the two and with some extra work you'll have a car that will be plenty of fun to drive.

and a little bit more streetable...but who cares about that right?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #33
splitshift

if you need help deciding between a turbo and SC check out www.howstuffworks.com is is a free and very help full reference site it's also very helpful to pick up a automotive tech manual(although can be quite pricy) if anyone would like to further discuss performance with me I'm always willing to share and trade info. keep in mind the best way to learn is research research research... also keep in mind that not all sites are completely acurate.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #34
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero+Jul 11 2005, 09:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000_olds_alero @ Jul 11 2005, 09:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Final-Reality@Jul 10 2005, 12:54 PM

and a little bit more streetable...but who cares about that right?
[/b][/quote]

a properly done custom turbo setup can be just as cost effective and just a streetable as the GM S/C.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 AM   #35
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

i'm gonna have to see that setup of yours spilner if you come to the falls meet....it'll really help me decide what i really want out of this
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #36
Spy

if you want to go reaaaaaaaaaaaally fast go with a custom turbo kit and think about a motor build up.

if you want to just have a peppier car that's more enjoyable to drive without as much customization go w/ the gm s/c route or rsm route.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:45 AM   #37
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@Jul 12 2005, 06:41 AM
i'm gonna have to see that setup of yours spilner if you come to the falls meet....it'll really help me decide what i really want out of this

oh i'll be there...wouldnt miss it for anything

Quote:
if you want to go reaaaaaaaaaaaally fast go with a custom turbo kit and think about a motor build up.

if you want to just have a peppier car that's more enjoyable to drive without as much customization go w/ the gm s/c route or rsm route.

^^basically thats what it comes down to. with a turbo you can get more power out of it and it's much easier to upgrade but also takes a lot of customizing since there's really not a "turbo kit" for an alero. if you want a bolt on a go setup for a decently quick car, the GM S/C is perfect.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #38
02eco

Quote:
the RSM s/c well RSM has problems with there reflash and the few that have had the kit either sells it or blows their motor. RSM stuff is high priced and not the best.

I beg to differ. :rolleyes: I've beat the poop outta mine and at the track and no problems, just slipping belt. That's inherent to any Vortec/Paxton/ATI blower. Maybe I got a wicked deal but after install, my RSM kit was cheaper than the GM 2.4TC kit, plus RSM threw in some other goodies. Sorry, I can't reveal cost, that's between me & RSM.

But really, Spy summed it up. If you want big power, build the engine & go turbo. The best power & cost is the GM kit. For $2000US you have 4.5psi and you can add to it very cost effectively.

It boggles me why more 2000-2002 2.4TC n-body owners haven't done this instead of so many bolt-ons & its so cheap & easy.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #39
00redse
GX Member

00redse is an unknown quantity at this point
S/C

and there's a few more boosted 2.4's out there than a lot of people think. I'm one of them.

For me, I got my RSM blower plus larger fuel injectors, and front mount intercooler for 1000 less than the GM kit. As far as RSMs reflash, I opted not to use it because it woulda been an extra 350 bucks plus shipping, and I woulda been without a ecm for a few days or more. So I just used the 2 bar map sensor that comes with the GM kit and used the reflash from it as well. So I like to think I have the best of both worlds.

in order to really up the boost, you don't have to upgrade to the stage 2 blower, you can just get a larger drive housing. Which will put you up to about 12-15 psi. Bad part about that, is that it's like 900 bucks. but the difference between 6 and 12 psi is quite a bit and worth the money. Especially since I'm intercooled, and won't really have to do any tuning since the reflash will adjust for the extra boost. The only other thing I'll really need is larger injectors.....maybe.

check out my cardomain if you'd like to see it http://www.cardomain.com/profile/00redse
00redse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #40
Spy

so have you gone to the track yet with it?

Quote:
Originally posted by 00redse@Sep 24 2005, 06:41 PM
S/C

and there's a few more boosted 2.4's out there than a lot of people think. I'm one of them.

For me, I got my RSM blower plus larger fuel injectors, and front mount intercooler for 1000 less than the GM kit. As far as RSMs reflash, I opted not to use it because it woulda been an extra 350 bucks plus shipping, and I woulda been without a ecm for a few days or more. So I just used the 2 bar map sensor that comes with the GM kit and used the reflash from it as well. So I like to think I have the best of both worlds.

in order to really up the boost, you don't have to upgrade to the stage 2 blower, you can just get a larger drive housing. Which will put you up to about 12-15 psi. Bad part about that, is that it's like 900 bucks. but the difference between 6 and 12 psi is quite a bit and worth the money. Especially since I'm intercooled, and won't really have to do any tuning since the reflash will adjust for the extra boost. The only other thing I'll really need is larger injectors.....maybe.

check out my cardomain if you'd like to see it http://www.cardomain.com/profile/00redse