Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #21
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I dont trust places at all. Ill either work on my car myself, or if its something major i take it to a GM dealership, cause i only trust me and the dealer to work on my car hahaha.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #22
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
anybody else notice this was from 2006?

Yes, buy Jiffy Lube still sucks just the same.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...jiffy_lube.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...be_damage.html
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #23
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I dont trust places at all. Ill either work on my car myself, or if its something major i take it to a GM dealership, cause i only trust me and the dealer to work on my car hahaha.

One thing you said is absolutely true: when you work on your personal car, typically there is a greater sense of pride, accomplishment, and attention to detail. However, you are mistaken in assuming that the dealer is always better. We see plenty of f-ups from jiffy lube and Walmart, but I see even more shoddy diagnostics and repairs from dealers. We just fixed a $1500 brake job by the Cadillac dealer (omg 1500 bucks and the receipt didn't even detail what they did! It just said "brakes"!!) And a GM dealer misdiagnosed 4 separate, basic issues on a Saturn vue as well - the customer is just happy that he finally knows what's wrong with his car. I also regularly see dealer service quotes where they DOUBLE the labor times. That is just this week, Monday and Tuesday. What's tomorrow? But not all technicians at the dealer OR at quick lube places are bad. Some love what they do and do it well; its hit or miss. If your fine with those chances then OK, but what is the chance that at any of these establishments that the same technician will maintain your car every time? If a technician doesn't know your preferences, your driving habits, your car's quirks, or its service history, it puts them at a major disadvantage. I know its hard to find a really good independent repair shop that can handle all of your needs; but it can pay off.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
even some private shops don't really take pride in their work I mean a shop in town built their own frame off restoration chevy apache and did a perfect job on it however when my dad took his 97 chevy to them to get a newer motor put in it it took them three attempts before it finally ran right. When my dad took my truck there to get the clutch put in it we had to take it back three times. The owner of this shop is supposed to be one of my dad's friends. This is just a small amount of stuff that he has screwed up.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #25
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzbear View Post
One thing you said is absolutely true: when you work on your personal car, typically there is a greater sense of pride, accomplishment, and attention to detail. However, you are mistaken in assuming that the dealer is always better. We see plenty of f-ups from jiffy lube and Walmart, but I see even more shoddy diagnostics and repairs from dealers. We just fixed a $1500 brake job by the Cadillac dealer (omg 1500 bucks and the receipt didn't even detail what they did! It just said "brakes"!!) And a GM dealer misdiagnosed 4 separate, basic issues on a Saturn vue as well - the customer is just happy that he finally knows what's wrong with his car. I also regularly see dealer service quotes where they DOUBLE the labor times. That is just this week, Monday and Tuesday. What's tomorrow? But not all technicians at the dealer OR at quick lube places are bad. Some love what they do and do it well; its hit or miss. If your fine with those chances then OK, but what is the chance that at any of these establishments that the same technician will maintain your car every time? If a technician doesn't know your preferences, your driving habits, your car's quirks, or its service history, it puts them at a major disadvantage. I know its hard to find a really good independent repair shop that can handle all of your needs; but it can pay off.

Well, everyone has there own opinions. But ive never had problems with the dealership. And sometimes when they do work to my car, they will find something else and fix it as well for free. Pretty nice of them to do that.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #26
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Well, everyone has there own opinions. But ive never had problems with the dealership. And sometimes when they do work to my car, they will find something else and fix it as well for free. Pretty nice of them to do that.

on that note i work at a chevy dealer and we have some issues when somone brings in a ford or a vw. it makes this a little more intertaining... however we are one of 3 dealers to be "elite" in new england yay us. travel an hour and a half down east you dont even want to think of the chevy dealer over there. have herd NOTHING good about them. might not help that they have chevy AND ford franchises
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
I never said every dealer was bad, just that they can make mishaps as well, and I see it quite frequently. Oh and they would never fix anything for free, trust me.. its either something that your already paying for, or some type of recall or warranty issue. Bc if you are not billed for it, the mechanic will not get paid his time! They won't work for free!