Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
@mgaw23
GX Member

@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute
clear rad hose!?!?

I came across this one day and I wana do this so bad but I don't know how and where I would get this

2003 alero 2.2 ecotec tinted windows, cold air intake, strut bar, full pacesetter exhaust, HID lights, grill mesh, brembro brakes, kicker l7, chipped and more but looking for more mods i would like to keep my car luxury, clean and a head turner.
i do auto detailing so my car is always spotless [SIGPIC]

Last edited by @mgaw23 : 03-30-2013 at 07:09 PM.
@mgaw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
that is kinda cool.. idk about functional but still cool.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
honestly, very interesting! i wouldnt mind doing that to my car actually, its kinda neat. plus helps you watch your coolant much easier on if its dirty or is contaminated with oil or something. i found a thread on a honda forum from a google search that may become helpful to you.

I saw this in the latest edition of Honda Tuning, one of the guys had a Civic with clear radiator hoses. I figured I could do the same, and very cheaply. The total came to $33.00. Time spent 1-1 1/2 hours.

Heres what you need:
1. 5/16" Interior diameter clear hose (this came from the plumbing dept. at Lowe's, part # 22273). I got 2', this was a bit much, but extra is better than too little. This is totally clear tubing.
2. 1 1/4 ID vinyl tubing (this also came from Lowe's plumbing dept., part # 35768). I got 5' of this and had very little left over. This is clear tubung with a mesh of nylon to support the tubing.
3. Hose clamps for each line. I used a total of 4 1 1/2"-3/4" clamps. Get these at any car parts store or possibly at Lowe's
4. Antifreeze. Get any type you want, but I like the new Prestone LowTox. It's better for your dog when I pour it all over the ground!
5. Tube cutter or exacto-knife.

What to do:
1. Drain all your antifreeze out. There is a small petrooster on the bottom of the radiator. Turn this and stuff will pour out, it's magic! You should put a pan under this!
2. Disconnect your radiator hoses. I did the low and high side coming from the radiator and the over-fill container hose.
3. Measure out your hoses. The big hoses (1 1/4" ID clear tube) make the high and low side from the radiator and the smaller one (5/16" ID clear hose)makes the over-fill hose. I did this by a kind of trial and error. The first hose I connected to one end, ran the hose to see how long I needed, then cut and fit the hose. Use the clamps that you bought to secure the hose in place.
4. Do this for the other big hose and the small over-fill hose.
5. Make sure all your connections are tight.
6. Fill with your antifreeze that you bought.
7. Admire at what you have made!

As for which hose to start with, I did the over-fill hose first as it was the easiest. The next easiest was the low side coming from the radiator with the upper hiose being last/hardest. The hose I used was very sturd and very hard to kink. I ran the car pretty hard to see if it would collapse and it did not. I did have a hose start to pinch, but I used the old Honda clamps to make this part more sturd/not pinch and it worked out fine. All in all, I think it looks very good for an hour/hour and a half of work and a very small amount of money!
It was getting dark as I was testing and getting all the air bubbles out, so I will post up pictures tomorrow.

of course dont go buy his tube sizing and how much needed, you will have to measure your car cause this was for a civic, not an alero.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 11-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Offhand, I don't think I would use vinyl tubing for safety reasons. On a showcar, maybe. It's notorious for hardening over time, even when used with plain water. Alcohol will attack it as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
These clear hoses won't last.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Friend had these. They functioned fine, but they cracked from temperature changes.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
There's a company called Killerglass that makes clear radiator hoses. They are a little more expensive, but I would guess they would last a lot longer. They also come with LED kits which is kinda neat.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
as your coolant gets oil and dirty, so will this isides of these hoses. and i wouldnt trust them on a daily driver anways. the factory hose has fiber woven throughout.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
There's a company called Killerglass that makes clear radiator hoses. They are a little more expensive, but I would guess they would last a lot longer. They also come with LED kits which is kinda neat.

Exactly.

I sent them a letter about ASS a few years ago, never heard back though

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote