Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #21
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott192 View Post
its in!! soundin good gonna break it in slow lol new alternator should be here tomorrow or monday! I am very excited

Sorry, I have to comment on that statement "break it in". In my line of work I get to talk to speaker techs that have been build, repairing, and designing drivers for many years, some of them in their 60's. A few times I have asked them if they have ever heard of a "break in" for drivers, all I ever get are laughs, like when you go up to the guy working the sound board at a concert and ask him how many watts he's pushing.
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #22
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
Thats very odd the vets laugh at break ins. perhaps seince they are 60+ years old they dont know the newer speakers NEED to be broken in to be able to reach maxX without cracking rubber, I have personally seen many new speakers get pushed hard and they all have got messed up in the process, but with people who let the rubbers wear in have far far less problems/longer speaker life, IMO break in 12" speakers and larger for a short period to allow the rubber to gently and WARMLY stretch to its max so it is comfortable with that much movement. also IMO don't break in subs in the winter, its a lot of stress on them just to play them cold, so a break in period in Michigan weather would be hideous, as i have seen subs warp like they got put in a oven.

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #23
Afugy
I poop alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afugy View Post
Sorry, I have to comment on that statement "break it in". In my line of work I get to talk to speaker techs that have been build, repairing, and designing drivers for many years, some of them in their 60's. A few times I have asked them if they have ever heard of a "break in" for drivers, all I ever get are laughs, like when you go up to the guy working the sound board at a concert and ask him how many watts he's pushing.

M2 Monster finds your reasoning crazy, cracking rubber, should I break in my condoms too?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #24
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
I love that pic...
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #25
Afugy
I poop alot

It's a D&B M2 monitor wedge, nicknamed the "Artist Killer" because of it 145db rating.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #26
scott192
GX Member

scott192 is on a distinguished road
well im guessing you have never seen an fi btl lol when these are new you could stand on the sub and it wouldnt move!! the spider is so stiff you can rip it off the glue joints!! its not a concert speaker lol it has nothing at all to do with the rubber
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
check out my car http://www.youtube.com/user/scott192
Quote:
Well I know my car is female because she was bleeding for 7 days and didnt die!
scott192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya i am getting a 15 inch BTL how long did u break it in for.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #28
Afugy
I poop alot

Really, because you can even go to the FI forums and they'll tell you the same thing, you don't need a break in period, it is a myth. They'll just break them selfs in through normal use, if you have glue failure it's your own fault. Plug it in and turn it up, you're not going to hurt your speakers.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
scott192
GX Member

scott192 is on a distinguished road
still id rather be nice to it
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
check out my car http://www.youtube.com/user/scott192
Quote:
Well I know my car is female because she was bleeding for 7 days and didnt die!
scott192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #30
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
ive ran my 12 inch memphis for the last two years in summer and winter. I wake up go to my car and start it up and as soon as im on the road its cranked ive been doing that for the past two years plus however old it was before I got it ( btw I own a ported box ) with 0 issues ive never once believed in this break in period and if there was one it would but already broken in before you got it from the factory like engines are
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #31
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hwM...eature=related

Because I said so.

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #32
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
If you have ever owned or ran a new "high-powered" subwoofer, then you would be able to understand the actual stiffness. That is not directed at anyone in particular. Whether it be out of the box or fresh from a recone, before it has been put on its 1500-3000 rms, the spiders are typically stiff as Hell. Odds are you will not damage the speaker, but after time, the soft parts will loosen up, and the subwoofers Fs will drop.

Fs is a speaker parameter meaning "resonant frequency." The lower the Fs, the greater the driver's ability will be to play low frequencies. Lower Fs = lower notes) The trade-off, of course, would be difficulty in playing the slightly higher frequencies it was reaching before the break-in.

A "myth?" Meh not so sure. A necessity? Absolutely not People have been playing full tilt for years as soon as the glues dry. Recommended? Well... if you are worried because you are running 3X the rated power, sure, break it in.