Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Super White Alero

I think it should be in this section. I saw some news about the new 2.4l ecotec coming out by GM but no word on the specs, price, or vehicle it will be in. However if the 2.4 is anything similar to the 2.0 ecotec, then Im assuming a bored up to 2.5l is possible, factoring in forged parts directly from GM running boost @ +12 psi, should give at the minimum 600+ hp, now granted I have no knowledge whatsoever on the ecotec but I understand the potential is far better than the quad4 and 60*V6
Old 07-02-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
the 2.4 will be in the saturn sky and the pontiac solstice, 170 horses
Old 07-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Final-Reality

So a 2.5L ECOTEC you figure should be making "at least" 600HP with just 12psi of boost? :stop:

Uhhh sure, if you install the same cylinder head they use in the ECOTEC drag cars (which have excellent flow but terrible velocity), and can manage to rev the long-stroke engine to ~10,000 RPMS.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
2.4L Ecotec will start to appear this fall in the base G6 Sedan and coupe, as well as the Cobalt SS (not the SS S/C) and the Canada only Pursuit GT.

It has variable valve timing and is to make 170-175HP depending on the car it is in.
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Yupp the 2.4 eco will have the toyota designed VVTI, it should be a nice toy...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
too bad it isnt VVTL-I, the saturn sky would be sweet with 240hp, NA
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Jul 5 2005, 02:18 PM
too bad it isnt VVTL-I, the saturn sky would be sweet with 240hp, NA

I'd rather have the 240 with a T/C and skip the disgusting power curve. Toyotas VVTL-I engines are poop in that respect. The T/C they are throwing on the Sky/Solstice will be a much better track motor.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Final-Reality

It has nothing to do with Toyota's VVTL-i system. It's just variable valve timing, or VVT. Most cam-phasing systems share similiar names since they all do basically the same thing.

Many modern engines have it, some systems are more advanced and do more than others. The VVT system on this engine is pretty simple cam phasing. It alters the degrees of the intake and exhaust cams relative to the crank, independently and based on engine RPMs and throttle position. The cam phasing is altered in steps at various engine RPMs and you can hear and feel when the timing is advanced each time under WOT acceleration. My mom's Bravada has a similar system on the exhaust cam only and you can tell at 3 points in the RPM range when the cam is being advanced to better suit the engine RPMs, it's pretty cool.

The Toyota VVTL-i system is more advanced (and expensive I'm sure), as it advances or retards the cams in a continuous arc; there are no "steps" or points when the cam is advanced, it's constantly changing with engine RPM and throttle load. On top of that the cams can be moved closer or further from the valves, which is where the "L" comes in; this alters the valve lift in addition to the cam phase changes