Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-18-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grant)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Pulling out of the driveway this AM heading to work, I noticed the Service Engine Soon and Trac Off lights illuminated. This AM is the first below freezing temp in the Chicago area.

I have a 15 minute drive to work and the lights stayed on the entire way. Nothing I did...putting trans into park, operating various accessories, manually pressing Trac button, etc. had any effect on lights.

When I got to work, I parked and turned off the car. I then turned the key to the ACC position and all the warning lights came on (like they should) I noticed HOWEVER, that there are TWO Service Engine Lights...one on the far left side and one on the far right side of the cluster. My light was the one on the LEFT side. (Any difference for the two?)

For grins, I started the car and this time, the engine and trac lights stayed off.

I did a google search for this condition and found a diagnostic software site where the guy's daughter had same problem on an alero. Scan revealed it was a IAC sensor. (site was pretty cool and might be something we should all buy for our cars!)

I know my sensor is plugged in as my CAI came ready to accept all sensors. I did my CAI 2 months ago and haven't had a problem since.

Any thoughts? I've read a few posts here about the Service Engine light coming on and staying on when folks mess with the driving light circuit (which I haven't done) and some other 3 letter circuit. [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-3.4Alero

I would bet that it was not your service ENGINE light, but it was your service VEHICLE light that came on. It's probably the electricals (speed sensor, ABS if you have it) in one of the hub assemblies that went bad. Need a new hub. If you're not under warranty, you're looking at about $400.00 to $500.00 for the dealer to do it. Or you can got to Advance Auto and buy the assembly for about $115.00 and do it yourself. I have mine sitting on my workbench in the garage and am going to change it this weekend.[/quote]
Quote:
Yep...sorry for the brain fart...it was the left side Service Vehicle Soon light. The speed sensor you're referring to...where is it on the hub? Or is it part of the hub?

It seems as though the ABS activates and then groans in the front end over the same bump every night on a corner...I can feel the ABS going on and off thru the pedal.

Wouldn't that be covered under the 6 year warranty?
Quote:
Don't know if it is covered, I don't have the 6 year. If your ABS is acting up like that, it is most definately a bad hub assembly. The speed sensor and ABS sensor are integrated into the hub assembly, along with the wheel bearing. It would be easier to change the whole thing out than to fool with a piece of it.
Quote:
mine has that too. the service vehicle soon and traction off. they only pop on ever now and then but i dont ahve time to go to delership cuz of fire acadamy. but it is warrenty so im not to worried about it right now
Quote:
Eventually the lights will just stay on all the time. Then bye bye trac control and ABS.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
check the O2 Sensor guys....thats what mine was.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
3.4Alero

O2 sensor (I believe) is when it is the Service ENGINE and trac off or ABS lights. Service VEHICLE is usually the wheel sensor (hub).