Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grant)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hey all...

If you followed my post last week, my Service Vehicle Soon (left side of cluster) light and the Trac Off lights both came on simultaneously when I first started off to work. Upon arriving, I shut off the car and on re-start, they were both off. No problems since.

Then, when I started up the car this AM, the Service Engine Soon (right side of cluster) light came on and stayed on the entire drive to work. I tried the same shut down/restart procedure hoping it was just a fluke. NOPE...the light is still on.

I don't see or feel any driveability problems...should I be concerned about this? I read somewhere that Autozone will read the code for free...true and does it provide a good synopsis of what's wrong?

Mods to date include SLP exhaust and Dr. Speed CAI. All sensors are plugged in. Mods where done months ago without any warning lights coming on.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer!

Grant [/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.4Alero+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3.4Alero)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yup, autozone will read the code for free. Did you fill your gas tank with the engine running or not tighten the cap all the way?[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthAlero
That light means your DRLs or something else related to your lights, its to early to think, isn't working correctly. Somehow my HIDs triggered something to pop mine up too, but my drls to work sometimes, i think its because of the cold. Cause it didn't happen in the summer. Not a big problem but they can't reset it by just opening up your side panels.
Quote:
Originally posted by Silentalero
/\ True it can be your headlights, because they will throw a code but it can also be alot more. do this

Start your car, then pull ur ebrake put the car in drive and check your brights to see if both work. Other athan that its mechanical
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.4Alero
Service Engine light can mean many many many things. Any of the sensors, the fuel system vapor recovery system, fuel injectors, misfiring cylinders, etc. Get it checked at autozone and let us know what they say.
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant
When my first problem occured (Sevice Vehicle), my DRL's were working. I'll check them now that the Service Engine light is on and not going off.

Hmm... the gas cap scenario is a possibility. I have a short drive to/from work, so to get the motor to operating temp, if I have to stop for gas, I generally leave the car running while I fill it. I've been doing this for nearly a year though without any trouble. BUT, I have read that leaving the cap off and then running the car can cause this light/error code to happen.

Dealer said having Autozone check code is worthless to him...vehicle is still under warranty so it's not like he's trying to get the $. I mentioned my exhaust and CAI...said he's sure they don't have anything to do with the error. That's cool 'cause I was waiting for them to say something like I screwed it up with the aftermarket parts.

Grant
<!--QuoteBegin-3.4Alero
@
Oh...if your under warranty, and the light is not blinking, just get it to the dealer and have them fix it. Didn't realize you still had warranty. Don't even piss with Autozone, then.[/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-Grant

Went to Autozone last night. They hooked up the code reader and it displayed 0141... the O2 sensor! I think the reader said something about heat circuit. They asked me if I wanted them to reset the light and I said yes. So, the light is off now...and has stayed off.

- How the heck can an O2 sensor go bad with only 13K miles on it? Could the catback and/or CAI have anything to do with this?

- Does the PCM keep a history of the Service Engine light coming on and the code being reset?

- Think I should still take it in even though the light is now off?

Thanks!

Grant
[/quote]