Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #41
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The question is: did you build up the motor to handle the boost? You have over 200K on the car and youre going boost?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 AM   #42
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
No, I wouldn't think of boosting the stock motor with that many miles. There's a few other things I need to do before boosting. In a perfect world, I would get the MMS 3400 race block and drop it in before boosting. Which isn't a bad idea, I just need to start saving for that as well.

I have been researching outside of the internet, too. I've found shops that could make the plumbing, fab shops who could make flanges and whatnot if I need it when I get there.
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 AM   #43
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
That's why I thought of the Cat turbo. Caterpillar is proven tough, and since they arw designed for use in industial applications, they are made to last.

But I see what you're getting at. The touble is finding a stocck turbo car at a junkyard local to me. They sometimes strip turbos and s/c's off as soon as they come in. I will check it out, though.

They have a Buick Riviera stock s/c, and I checked under the hood. The blower was gone. I asked about it, and they said they pulled it out to sell separately.

You live in Virginia... an asshattery of a state that chooses to call itself a "commonwealth" yet there is no wealth in common... in fact there's more discrepancy that similarity. I used to live in the Northern section and it was hard as eff to find a job, let alone assistance to get my foot in a job. Now I'm in DC and they're helping me get an internship to learn a trade, but that's beyond the point. My point is that in Virginia, they will do anything they can to eff you over. Last time I checked, they automatically crush anything older than 15 years. That's why I can never find anything in Virginia's junkyards.

If you're willing, you can make a road trip to Baltimore, there's actually a couple of yards that don't mess with the cars. Old, new, etc it's all there. The yards I go to don't take out turbos and superchargers for their own benefit. You can also give Brandywine out in Prince George's county MD a call, but they're more along the lines of taking the engine out, so no turbos there.

If you feel it's too far, you can also try Pick A Part in Fredericksburg, although I personally hate them for being so inconsistent with their turnout time and general irresponsibility. There's also Chesterfield in Richmond but meh... kinda hard to find Saab parts there.

Also, I can't really tell you which Saab turbo fits. I specifically had said that's a search on the 60degreev6 forum. All you have to do is put .com on that phrase and it will come up. Read around there, ask but don't get too excited or you might get a re run of your first days here. lol

What shops are you talking to? Are they chain stuff like meinekee or real speed shops. I've heard there's a speed shop out in Virginia Beach that's good with GM stuff, but never heard the name.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 AM   #44
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

There are several pro shops out here. There was one in Yorktown that showed promise, but turns out they only do v8 motors.
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
Old 05-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #45
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
That's kinda wack... but oh well, their problem in 5 10 years when most people want to be tuning FWD V6 stuff.

The real crazy part is going to be tuning Hyundais.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #46
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

When they told me that, I thought about asking "what about the Aurora 4.0 v8?"
Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #47
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
LOL too funny

Only difference between you guys and ricers is it's a GM. Ohh sweet you can get to the next red light fastest...
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #48
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
When they told me that, I thought about asking "what about the Aurora 4.0 v8?"

You should have thought of the most asinine FWD engine to tune and ask them if they would do it...

Ask em if they can tune a 5.3 2006 Impala SS or a 99 Cadillac Deville with the Northstar engine.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 12-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #49
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

The pain is real. Not too bad, but real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141205_040738454.jpg (33.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #50
Nas Escobar
GLS member

WHat's wrong with it?
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #51
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

At the gas pumps. Again.

Prices have been going down, lately. So it doesn't hurt as bad.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #52
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Tint those windows!!!5% looks really good with this color!
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:20 AM   #53
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Tint those windows!!!5% looks really good with this color!

Virginia only allows 35%

It's a joke of a tint.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited