Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
BlackJack's Setup is crazy ... but anyway i would go turbo ... I am planning the same thing depending on how much cash i can scrounge upto tax time then add my tax return. I think I should be good; BlackJack get the wrenches and the Powertuner ready
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #22
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Thread is pointless, he cant afford either

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #24
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtrydr View Post
BlackJack's Setup is crazy ... but anyway i would go turbo ... I am planning the same thing depending on how much cash i can scrounge upto tax time then add my tax return. I think I should be good; BlackJack get the wrenches and the Powertuner ready

got the wrenches and PT ready to go, you get the stuff we need, bring it on down.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #25
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
This website has come a long way. I'm pretty sure the archives are filled with "SC vs TC" threads based off of speculation only. It's cool to see members actually doing things that were foreign to us earlier on. I'm proud to own a 'ho
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #26
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
The whine to me sounds like someone's power steering is going bad.

Maybe they sound like that without an intake. But with one the whine is ten-fold.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #27
yoslvr442
GX Member

yoslvr442 is on a distinguished road
im pretty sure power steering is more of a squeal then a whine.

71 442
yoslvr442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
burg03

yea but the s/c dosent go OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PPPPPHHHHHHSSSSSSTTTTT!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #29
yoslvr442
GX Member

yoslvr442 is on a distinguished road
true, it is a nice sound.

71 442
yoslvr442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #30
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
if you wanna get real technical on the turbo vs. supercharger, it all has to do with the engine and its exhaust/intake setup....whether its an inline 4, inline 6, a V6, a V8, V10, V12, etc....a dodge viper will benefit just as much from the supercharger as the turbos, because of the v10 configuration. it would require twin turbos, which may end up giving more power, but are also gonna be WAY more costly than what you could get out of the right supercharger to match up to it. and before you lay claim to the higher horsepower vipers being turbocharged, i believe the fastest recorded time by a street viper was laid down by one that was running a S/C right around 7 secs

turbos also depend on the HP range, your lower HP level turbos may not have much lag, but your 800-above have serious lag, otherwise you wouldnt see most supras, etc racing from a rolling 80mph instead of a stand still....

its a trade off...turbo can be tuned for a little more power but at the expense of not having the power throughout the entire RPM range, or the supercharger, which has a little less power and tunability, but will give you power through most of the entire RPM range

Last edited by number1alero : 12-21-2006 at 11:01 AM.
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #31
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, but there's a catch. With a higher stall speed torque converter, the turbo has a major edge. Mine for example begins spooling at 2,500RPM's and hits peak boost by 3,500 RPM's. This gives me full boost from 3,500 to redline, where a S/C is set up to ramp up all the way to redline (boost level contingent on RPM's). That's a big range on the tach that is not at full boost with an S/C. I'm not a big tech geek on S/C's since I never owned one but this is the way it's been explained to me by many that have.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #32
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
just for streetablility reasons a turbo is better because sometimes you might not want boost for those lower rpms.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #33
burg03

you may not ant it for traffic
Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #34
CiscoPath
GL Member

My question is about the S/C pulleys. Why go through the process of changing out the pulleys? Why not just buy the one that creates the most power.............................and be done with it?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #35
number1alero
GL Member

^because it will throw off your fuel curves and whatnot...remember the belt is also connected to the cam gears
Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #36
number1alero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
yeah, but there's a catch. With a higher stall speed torque converter, the turbo has a major edge. Mine for example begins spooling at 2,500RPM's and hits peak boost by 3,500 RPM's. This gives me full boost from 3,500 to redline, where a S/C is set up to ramp up all the way to redline (boost level contingent on RPM's). That's a big range on the tach that is not at full boost with an S/C. I'm not a big tech geek on S/C's since I never owned one but this is the way it's been explained to me by many that have.

your right, but regardless if you have a turbo rated for 1300hp, the thing is so damn big that it dont matter how high of a stall converter you got, your still not gonna see boost till higher RPMs, but once you do hit the boost, hold the eff on!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #37
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoPath View Post
My question is about the S/C pulleys. Why go through the process of changing out the pulleys? Why not just buy the one that creates the most power.............................and be done with it?
Good question. Remember the more air you pump into the engine the more fuel you have to add also, so you don't just buy the pulley, you also need larger injectors, and maybe other fuel mods to get the right air/fuel ratios under boost. Then there's the fact that the kit you bought didn't come with an intercooler. With a supercharger, the more you boost, the hotter the pressurised air gets. You can only boost so high before the air gets so hot that you actually make less power with more air going in. This is why most kits use a conservative "low boost" pulley for the street, that way you get more power than stock, but it's also reliable and you don't have to go buy all these other parts to go with the kit you just spent 2-3 grand on.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #38
CiscoPath
GL Member

so basically what you're saying is that you have to have one pulley for daily driving, and another track? I guess that's ok. I never go to track anyway.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #39
number1alero
GL Member

^umm i think ur confused....u match a pulley to the power your wanting to get out of the setup, because that pulley will also be directly influencing the air/fuel ratio the engine gets because the belt is also turning the camgears (cam shafts) which will require tuning and adjustments to compensate for the pulley size
Old 12-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #40
number1alero
GL Member

and once its tuned correctly, you can simply adjust the boost you run to whats feasible for the current application (daily driving would require lowering the boost, racing applications of course you would wanna raise the boost)