Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Riken Raptor ZR 225/50Z R16

I recently had to buy new tires because when I got the car there were three different name brands and 2 different sizes between the four tires! Yeah figure that out...lol.
I was working on a budget because I just finished university and didn't have much to spend on them and went looking around. I checked out these Riken Raptors and liked how they looked and how they were rated. They have 2 lines basically the HR and the ZR.
HR - regular type tires with non directional tread approx. 135000 km

ZR - V type tread that are directionalapprox. 90000km

I bought the ZR's because they were looked amazing for rain and traction and apparently fare really good in the snow.
I paid 650 for installation and balancing and when I left the local tire dealer I felt the difference immediately. The car was more responsive, the braking distance was better and also take offs seemed faster as well. The car can take corners faster, sounds a lot quieter (tire noise) and still grips like sh*t on velcro during rain showers (especially heavy ones). Still have yet to try them in snow because it's not that season yet but we get lake effect snow here so I will definitely have plenty of snow to use them in and will update this thread when I do.

Overall, I give these tires a 10/10 so far because price was good and they have been amazing so far (I have put on about 6000km on these already and they still stick like super glue and feel just as good).

Has anyone else used these?

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
no, but riken makes a good tire....

i run dunlops and nexens
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
i run dunlops and nexens

i love my nexen cp641. great traction in rain and dry. will never use them in snow tho b\c i have studded winterforce tires for the winter
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
i love my nexen cp641. great traction in rain and dry. will never use them in snow tho b\c i have studded winterforce tires for the winter

i have a storage unit
Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
LiveWire
GX Member

LiveWire is on a distinguished road
the HRs are a no,no.

ahh man i got these about a year back but i picked up the Riken HRs.. woah im not sure im a fan. is a big step down from the stock goodyear eagle RSA's on the GLS. but these seem to feel good when i drive handling is pretty good saved me a few times from some close calls.

but man they always look like there flat or low on air. then i gauge them and its normal. but go figure this past winter (michigan winter) i bent both of my front 16in chrome rims, the stock alero ones.. what a drag.

i should've gone with the ZR's a 100%.. but i wouldnt recommend the HRs.
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
dhurst765
GX Member

dhurst765 is on a distinguished road
i love my falken sincera's paid 275 for all four installed
dhurst765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
I've never had that brand but had similar asymmetrical tread patterns. The upside is that you get monster traction, the downside is that this tread pattern gives its life up for traction and the tires only last around 20k miles or so. Also they tend to get little rocks stuck in those middle treads. Still worth it tho.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
LiveWire
GX Member

LiveWire is on a distinguished road
well if your talking about the rikens then i know you have a 60,000 mile warranty on the HRs and the ZRs come with a 50,000 mile one i believe. so yah discount tires is pretty good about that.
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Hey all...just an update about these tires.

Even though it has been a mild winter here in southern ontario, there has been enough snow to test these on and I must say that they are actually pretty good in the snow. They give really good traction for not being winter tires and I never really had to change my driving haits to adjust for anything like I had to do with my missmatch set that were on my alero at time of purchase.

The only slight downside to these tires would be their ice traction. This is where you would definitely have to change your driving style because the grip really falls off at this point.

final analysis so far:

Summer driving (dry) - 10/10
Summer driving (wet) - 10/10
Winter driving (light and heavy snow) - 8/10
Winter driving (ice) - 5/10

Overall I would definitely recommend these tires for anyone but I will most likely be looking for winter tires for the next season and keep these good for summer for a few more years.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
never would get rikens ever. Its bridgestone or nothing. Potenza re960 pp and/or firestone firehawk gt and champion hr are a very good tire. If you have the money I would grab a set of turanza serenitys. BEST all season tire out there imho.

As far as winter tires goes bridgestone has the blizzak's and those are phenominal in anything the harshest winter throws at your car

Sorry if I sound like a representative, its cuz I work for bridgestone
Old 01-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
I still swear by my Cooper CS4's. Second winter and 35k miles on them and they still handle like new in the rain/dry pavement. In the snow, not so much, but still fare pretty well. Most of the magical snow eating was gone after 10-15k miles.
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Hey guys...just an update. I have had these on the car now for about 25000 km and they are still sticking like new. There are no irregular tread wears or anymore tire noise than before. These will definitely be in my lineup for purchase whenever I look for tires from here on in.

I would just like to say though that if they are for a daily driver and you drive in snow and ice (WOOOO Canada and Buffalo!!!) then I would also look into snow tire for the winter. They are good on snow but on ice they aren't that great.

update finished.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
I have GoodYear Assurance on my car right now (same V-tread pattern). For winter I gotta say I was very satisfied with my Pirellis. And for all season I ran Michelin Harmony before.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote