Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
New Radio without harness?

I was wondering if you can install a new radio without the 60$ adapter? I know I will lose chimes, anything else?
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
LaceUpJack
GX Member

LaceUpJack is on a distinguished road
I recently did this in my alero, I initially purchased a $12 scosche harness for an alero from 99-00, and I have an 01, but I thought since they didn't change from 99-04 that it would still work, but when it came to soldering and heat shrinking and testing out the new deck, I realized that there was no accessory power going to the place it should have and I guess in 01 they changed it and made it so you have to buy the stupidly expensive one with the chimes unfortunately unless you could find a cheap scosche one online for 01-04, as they are fairly hard to come across in stores. I am no expert at this stuff whatsoever, however this is what I found out from my experience.

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2.4 5 Speed
LaceUpJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
i bought one of those scosche chime retaining kits from Crutchfield and the chime thing dont make a sound so can't personally recommend one unless i did something wrong
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
I used the harness with the chime and it works.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, i like having no chimes.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
i bought one of those scosche chime retaining kits from Crutchfield and the chime thing dont make a sound so can't personally recommend one unless i did something wrong

LOL Jon don't take this wrong but....you purchased a kit from a super reputable dealer that even tells you which product to use. Chances are you A. didn't listen to them when they told you which one to buy or B. hooked it up wrong /snicker.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Yeah the chimes are annoying as f***. So all I need is dash kit, and no adapter and I can use it but I will lose accessory power and chimes?
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Acc power may be there still. Idk.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I never use a "harness" it's just wires to wires, look up what wire is what for your car and the headunit and connect them
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
The scosche one is just crapy. My scosche chime box use to do some weird things. If it was cold the radio would come on, start the car and it would beep 3 times and shut off.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I never use a "harness" it's just wires to wires, look up what wire is what for your car and the headunit and connect them

i strongly dislike people like you. noting i dislike more then pulling out a radio and found the original connector is gone. half the time its really badly spliced togther with electricle tape and twist caps.

take that with a grain o' salt
Old 10-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
i strongly dislike people like you. noting i dislike more then pulling out a radio and found the original connector is gone. half the time its really badly spliced togther with electricle tape and twist caps.

take that with a grain o' salt

I completely agree with you. I hate when people do that. All I can say is stop being a cheap skate, spend the money and do it right.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
I completely agree with you. I hate when people do that. All I can say is stop being a cheap skate, spend the money and do it right.
or quit wasting money on shit that you don't need.

you do it your way, i'll do shit to my car the way that works for me.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote