Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Well heck. I have the tuner now so hopefully I am only paying for the pulls. I will find out today in any case because this SES light is driving me nuts.

Seems I definitely need more research on my end as well.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Save your money, if you want a tune go to SMG since they are in MA and they have HPT.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Place A: "we can dynotune you for $150." 1.5 hr later, me: "hey what is going on?" Them: "oh, our laptop is broke. Get at us later." Me: "eff you."

Place B: "A tune? $395 for that work." Me: "$395? Place A just told me $150." Them: "Oh yeah, Place A probably just does a flash-not an actual tune. You got time to hang out? We can get you in at 1600 (currently 1430)?" Me: "Yeah I'll hang." Them: (at 1600) "Yeah, we're not going to be able to do it today..."

Me: "Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Insert that one face here:

Hate El Paso.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #24
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic28 View Post
Save your money, if you want a tune go to SMG since they are in MA and they have HPT.

how much to dyno tune my a/f ratios, spark timing, injector pulse length, and various other things from SMG?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #25
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
http://trifectaperformance.com/dynotuning.aspx

I know you cant use it having an Alero, but thats who I had to go to to tune my Cobalt after the S/C install, but it gives you an example of price.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #26
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
trifectaperformance sounds interesting and I will visit them the next time I'm in the Seattle area (2.5 hr drive west).

Note: What they are doing sounds very similar to what an HPTuner setup can/will do. An Alero CAN be tuned the same way, in fact I had to put an Alero ECM in my Malibu in order to support the S/C (GM dealership reprogramming so far). I have logged some data with my HPTuner already but had kinks to work out before doing any real tuning.

Unless a particular shop already has a tune in hand that matches your setup expect to pay for at least a half day of technical services. A dyno may not be required but should make it faster/easier to do. If you truly need a custom tune you already have spent enough cash that another 500 or so won't blow your mind. Do it right and you won't be blowing motors... been there.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #27
Caboose73
GX Member

Caboose73 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Caboose73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic28 View Post

X2 on SMG i was down there 2 weeks ago when my buddy had his cobalt tuned i know his tune cost him about $400 very nice guy and he knows his stuff.
Caboose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I'm starting to think about investing in HP Tuners.

I'm running mostly stock right now. I have a WAI/CAI, MSD ignition coils with MSD superconductor wires. I'm eventually going to want to do full exhaust and possibly secret cam swap. Possibly, MAYBE down the road do a turbo set up.

As of what I have right now, would I benefit from HP? I'm just thinking I would like to see better shift timing and better use of the ignition.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #29
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
imo having the ability to simply tune these transmissions makes it worth it. If you were close to stock and manual, I would say wait till you actually need it. With an auto it's really worth it even to a bone stock car
Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
imo having the ability to simply tune these transmissions makes it worth it. If you were close to stock and manual, I would say wait till you actually need it. With an auto it's really worth it even to a bone stock car

explain.

im considering getting it too. but first id also like to know if you can check/clear codes with it. if you can then can you do it to any gm/ford/dodge vehicle without buying credits?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #31
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I bought mine and it came with 8 credits. However I only got GM credits with mine

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #32
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Side question: is there a certain dyno setup that is particular to our cars or works best? Would hate to get the hptuners and money only to get it tuned on poor equipment. What are the things to look out for?

Haven't got my tune yet. Out of El Paso, but money and time are short.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #33
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
explain.

im considering getting it too. but first id also like to know if you can check/clear codes with it. if you can then can you do it to any gm/ford/dodge vehicle without buying credits?

Huge delay programed in for shift time. Shift pressures are horrible in factory tune. Torque managament is burning out transmissions that are actually a strong unit when set up right man.

Yes, you can read and clear codes. You can scan any vehicle supported by the program, you only have to licence the ones you want to tune.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #34
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I hooked it up to my Mom's Cavalier and licensed the car as well.

the car only has 46,000 miles on it, and she drives like she's 70. (You should have seen her when I had her car on the NJ Turnpike screaming at 80 LOL)

I didn't do much in the way of tuning to her car, just removed the speed limiter (which was 109 in her car) and changed the fan temps a bit and let them run for 30 seconds after key off. The fan temps weren't too bad in the orginal program though 203 on 197 off. I changed it to 185 on and 170 off

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote