Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
UnoWHO

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT RECCOMEND DOING THIS IF ITS THE FIRST TIME EVER IN 60K. IT !!MAY!! PROVE TO BE VERY BAD FOR YOUR TRANY!

Skill level on 1-5: 4
Time: Up to 3 hours depending on your skill level

Ok well lets go over what you will need;

Tranny Fluid
Filter
Gasket(not one of the ones that comes with a filter kit they suck ass get the OE one, the stiff one just like the old one)
Filter Seal
Large collecting bin
Towels
Gloves
Jack
Jack Stands
Appropriate sized socket and wrench

Ok so here we go(this how-to will not completely empty your tranny fluid because your doing it on your own, if I remember correctly the gear box wont be emptied so youll have to experiment with the fluid level when your done. )

1. Start the car and let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it off

2. Jack the car up, and secure on jack stands.

3. Get your VERY LARGE( I promise youll miss a regular oil pan) collection bin(Christmas storage containers work well) and position it under the car towards the rear of the tranny fluid pan.

4. Unbolt the bolts towards the rear of the pan and no others do about 6 of them and when fluid starts coming out losen only those 6 even more then let it set for a while 30min-1 hr emptying into your collecting bin. The reason I say let it sit is because if you go to unbolt the rest of the pan then your going to have fluid coming out from every gap you make creating a huge red mess.

5. When the fluid is down to a trickle go ahead and have at the other bolts, your going to have fluid coming out all over the place still but it wont last long and not as much as it would have before.

6. Completely remove the tranny pan and set it to the side( DO NOT TIP IT OVER YOULL NEED TO INSPECT IT LATER)

7. Position your drain pan directly under the tranny now because your going to take out the filter. To take it out just pull and twist a bit, there WILL BE FLUID inside and it will come down so get out of the way asap lol. make sure to take the old seal out of the place on the tranny where the neck of the filter just came out of.

8. Now while thats finishing draining get your tranny fluid pan and take a look at it, at the bottom almost center should be a square(if you dont see it then youve got some searching to do in the old fluid and in the pan). That square is a magnet that collects metal shavings(if you see ANY shavings at all then finish this process and go have your tranny checked out by a professional)

9. After examining it and making sure there are no metal shavings go ahead and Pour the fluid out of it and take your towwel and wipe the pan off. Its probablly going to be filthy so keep wiping till it appears shiny again. (MAKE SURE TO TAKE ALL THE OLD GASKET OFF THE PAN)
10. Now go back under your car and replace the seal and filter(they just push on)(also make sure there is no gasket left from your old tranny pan gasket)

11. Now bolt the pan back on with the gasket in place( I think there are torque specs but you shouldnt need them just tighten all the bolts evenly and nice and tight)

12. Fill your tranny again and now comes the gayest part about the alero tranny fluid system. To check the fluid level(Unlike all the other cars with dipsticks), the car must be on and above the passenger side CV Joint is a bleeder screw right on top of the tranny, if you unscrew the bleeder and fluid starts spitting out then your good, tighten it back up and your good to go. If nothing comes out then add half a quart and check again. Go in incriments of :wtf: half a quart because to much fluid added can be bad for the tranny as well.

13. Once the fluid is good then let the car sit running and check for leaks, no leaks then get on the road and go

if you found any problems with this how-to let me know and ill change it.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
ok reviving an old post here. can anyone confirm this a legit how to? I need to replace trans fluid pan gasket and want to change filter and fluid while I'm at it. this is the best and more detailed info I've found regarding it. I don't want to pay someone do this if its really this simple. also, one thing not stated, about how much fluid does it hold? (2.2)
edit, found a bit more info. 7.5 quarts sound right?
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
seems pretty legit to me.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
seems pretty legit to me.

not so much for you anymore mr. 6 speed. I'm jelly
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
not so much for you anymore mr. 6 speed. I'm jelly

and im excited and also sorry lol. its gonna be so awesome!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
and im excited and also sorry lol. its gonna be so awesome!

im also pretty jealous hope you enjoy it!
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
im also pretty jealous hope you enjoy it!

thanks! i will for sure
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
New gasket not required, its reuseable guys. 6.5L of dex 6, yes you can use dex 3 in ours, but the dex 6 is better! This job should take no more than a half hour to do
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
gasket not requierd assuming its not a) leaking, b) damaged durring removal.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

ya I have a new one in hand for it anyway. mine has a slow leak
Old 12-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Would I even want to reuse a gasket that was made in 1998?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Would I even want to reuse a gasket that was made in 1998?

Bro, how do you keep finding a way to bring the oldest posts possible back up to the top?
Old 03-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
New gasket not required, its reuseable guys.

I might have some brittle gasket PTSD caused by the 2000 Camry (4 cylinder) that I maintain. I swear on that car every gasket is like that, and I've never seen anything like it before.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote