Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Exsauat rebuild, o2 sensor & themo

Getting the exsaust done within the next 2 weeks. Going with pacesetter headers and 2.5 high flow cat. Need to see if I need to make any change in thermostat, and o2 sensors? If so what kind?
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
what in the world does the thermostat have to do with the exhaust?

if your O2 sensor isn't a heated one, you might need one.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

He wanted me to check if I would need a diff temperature thermostat due to the huge increase in exsaust flow. But a heated sensor for sure?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
doubt ull see any issue with cooling and no one else here says anything about o2 sensor when u talk about exhaust. Oh and bothe ur seasors should be heated. My 99's are.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
He wanted me to check if I would need a diff temperature thermostat due to the huge increase in exsaust flow.
I have a bigger increase in exhaust flow than you... still use standard thermostat.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
bothe ur seasors should be heated. My 99's are.
But you have the LA1 and he has the L61. On the LD9, the upstream is not heated, not sure about the Ecotec.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

But you have the LA1 and he has the L61. On the LD9, the upstream is not heated, not sure about the Ecotec.

really? News to me. I would have assumed heated o2 sensors would be the norm across the board at that time.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I will look into it, he has tons he can weld in place, he also wants me to contact pacesetter themselves and get there input on the situation for both components. he's been around the block building 10 second cars in Terre Haute and still goes to the track every weekend and has his own shop and lift behind his house. He's the guy that will fine tune every little detail perfectly.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

yup, just off the phone with pacesetter. thermo is good and just put the stock sensor back in. he said it may register a check engine light for at first but it should go away after 100ish miles.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Your fine, Im running stock o2s along with an added aem o2 for the a/f digital gauge. Thermostat.. Mines stock and fine. I'm running a full pacesetter exhaust on my v6, no problems. Other then I should have left that damn flex pipe in. Just so you know you will have to custom cut your downpipe to connect to the headers. I did and have no flex pipe.. So I deal with rattles sometimes. Itll he fixed sometime.

Oh and I have had problems with the pacesetter front header gasket. Idk why the back has held up fine but the front I'm using rtv copper as a gasket. And it's lasted longer then any pacesetter gasket I've had on it. I blew a front gasket about every 3 weeks
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 01-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

so put in a diff gasket other then the one that came with? and I just got it all in, the cat is beautiful, can see right though the honeycomb. the headers I just went with the black coating and they have a sticker on them saying its not a high heat coating and for longer life to paint it. I was thinking about just using my caliper paint for it, its rated at 900 degrees on the can. would that work? or do I even need to bother with it?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
the caliper paint should be fine.
maybe mix it up and paint your headers red...
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
the caliper paint should be fine.
maybe mix it up and paint your headers red...

yup, I have red calipers, going to tackle the valve cover and paint it red this weekend. and looks like red headers now.
will it be ok to paint on the area will the gasket will be? or inside the pipes? or do I need to tape it off?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
will it be ok to paint on the area will the gasket will be? or inside the pipes? or do I need to tape it off?

NO....do not paint where the gasket will be....and DO NOT paint inside the pipe.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
NO....do not paint where the gasket will be....and DO NOT paint inside the pipe.

K, i had just thought about that. wanted to make sure. I'll get some pics of them sometime when I get to it. and I plan on taking a ton whenever we actually pull it all out and weld all the new stuff together.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
so put in a diff gasket other then the one that came with? and I just got it all in, the cat is beautiful, can see right though the honeycomb. the headers I just went with the black coating and they have a sticker on them saying its not a high heat coating and for longer life to paint it. I was thinking about just using my caliper paint for it, its rated at 900 degrees on the can. would that work? or do I even need to bother with it?

You can try it, but a lot of people on gagt think pacesetters gaskets are bad, I agree and disagree just cause the back hasn't blown but only front did. So try out the gaskets it comes with and you will know if it's blown. Mine always blew on the bottom right side of the header. And when its cold once blown it will be pretty loud haha. And yeah the black header paint will literally last 60 seconds or so... Then it's a giant mess under your hood and you have chunks of paint laying all over your engine bay.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I would put a new stock thermostat in while you have all that apart just for the fact that I do believe you have to at least undo some of the header bolts to get the thermostat out.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
I would put a new stock thermostat in while you have all that apart just for the fact that I do believe you have to at least undo some of the header bolts to get the thermostat out.

This isn't a bad idea, especially if you don't know when it was last(if ever) changed. You don't want to be in the middle of winter when your thermostat won't close and you get rooster all for heating in your car. They don't cost a lot either.. $12 or so.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post

Already had it siting with the other parts
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #19
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
i didn't see a great improvement when i installed a pacesetter header in my 2.2.

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Did you do larger piping and cat? The way we have this baby is going to flow strait back, no twists turns or any of that bull crap. The guy who's working on it with me (he's done his fair share of work in the day) is expecting to see 30 hourses more by the time we are done... I think that's a bit high myself, those headers are only like 10 + 5ish for cat with piping set up. However he does have hpt tuners so I'm going to try and talk him into giving me a tune... He seemed not to want to though when I asked, he has them for his old Chevy s10... I gotta get a pic up for you guys. It's beautiful