Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
03gxeco
GL Member

03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute
I need opinions

Alright, im in the situation where i would like to remove my "valve cover" to check my timing chain tensioner before i replace it.
while i have the cover off, i was thinking that i should paint it.
what are the most common colors/ best looking colors for ecotec valve covers?
i dont want to pop my hood ad think i have a honda engine so red is a no go for me.
any ideas?
i also need to know what type of paint to use. i have some high heat paint that is used on Grills it has a 1200* rating. i can get more of that, but i dont know if it will stick well or what not. i was thinking of getting powder coating but i cant afford it. so i would like to rattle can it. let me know what you guys think it will be greatly appreciated.
03gxeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
polish it! thats the best way to go in my opinion

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
03gxeco
GL Member

03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel6632 View Post
polish it! thats the best way to go in my opinion

my fears with polishing, are how easy it would be to see oil/dirt. Im into chrome and polished surfaces on RWD cars, but ive never had any FWD cars with chrome under the hood (or polished surfaces) do you have a picture of a polished cover?

Anyone who replys to this thread should post pictures so i can see what it looks like with different colors/polished.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
03gxeco
GL Member

Also, is there a way to check the tensioner with out replacing any gaskets? or am i kinda S.O.L on that? lol
Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If you go polish, give a nice coat of wax.

I've used wax on just about every surface on my car with great results, includig the polished lip on my wheels. The bulk of the dirt will just fall off and not stick when hit with a little bit of water.

Powdercoating is nice too. Had my upper and lower intakes, valve "front" valve cover, CAI piping, license plate frame, etc and it still looks good. When the car wouldn't start after a "vandal" cut a wire for me, the cops couldn't believe that the car had 128,000 miles on the engine and that is was the orginal engine. You cannot wax a "wrinkeled" powdercoat finish

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote