Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
jlong
GL Member

jlong is on a distinguished road
blown head gasket

Well I think I have a blown head gasket, at the very least. I was driving down the interstate between san antonio and houston and got about 30 min outside houston and the car started down shifting when going over overpasses. I thought it was kind of strange and then noticed the temp was at 3/4 and climbing and then hit the top and the red light came on.

I was already exiting when it came on and when it did I shifted into neutral and turned it off. I let it cool off to about half way and tried to start it. It doesn't sound right. Sounds like it has lost compression. It started and then died. I let it sit there a little longer and then started it and it ran fine.

At this point the water tank was bone dry. Funny thing is the low water light never came on. I was able to get it to a gas station just fine. Ran fine and no problems. The gas station was about 3/4 a mile away. Got it there, put water in it and it ran fine. I let it idle and filled it with almost 2 gallons of water. I thought I was in the clear.

Well I stayed on the access road and drove no faster than 50mph. The temp held steady at a little over half and I got about a mile down the road and the temp rapidly started rising again. I immediately pulled off the road and shut it down. The water tank was bone dry again. I didn't notice any smoke out the tail pipe, I checked the dip stick and it didn't look like water was in the oil.

I smelled the water tank and it smells like gas/oil. It won't start now and sounds funny when I try to start it. It isn't knocking and the valves aren't ticking or no unusual tapping noises. It sounds high pitched now, like lost compression is allowing it to spin freely.

SO I guess my question is, is it fixable or practical to fix? Could the block or head be warped or cracked or should I just look for a low mileage replacement?

This sucks because I just bought bunch of new parts for it. Good thing is none of them are open or have been installed and I'm pretty sure I can return them if I don't end up fixing the engine.

Last edited by jlong : 04-19-2012 at 11:26 PM.
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Its gonna cost you a pretty penny.....and hold on.....you put ONLY water in the coolant reservoir? Are you kidding? You're better off getting a new engine and swapping it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
DUSTIN0285
UnOrThOdOx

DUSTIN0285 is on a distinguished road
If water is all he had, theres nothing wrong with that, not like it'll hurt anything.
DUSTIN0285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
jlong
GL Member

Not sure what you mean by this, and hold on.....you put ONLY water in the coolant reservoir?

I was thinking it would be cheaper and easier to just swap a used engine into it. Although I would like more opinions because if these engines stand up to a little heat maybe I can pull the head, get it magnafluxed and check the block deck.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
jlong
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTIN0285 View Post
If water is all he had, theres nothing wrong with that, not like it'll hurt anything.

Yeah, didn't want to mix the green stuff with the orange stuff, water was the best option. All the gas station had was green stuff and I wanted to get home. I used bottled water, although it was enhanced with minerals, OMG!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
You're getting combustion gasses in the cooling system. It is a head gasket leak, but the best kind to have.

Will cost about $1200 to fix.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
jlong
GL Member

I think I will pull the head and go from there. Should be fun.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
yeah water isnt bad, the track likes you running water in your cooling system instead of coolant, because if you leak coolant on the track its more of a b!tch to clean up.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong View Post
I think I will pull the head and go from there. Should be fun.

im in the process of pulling my head too!!!
just for different reasons. But its a great way to learn
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
i did my HG change one bymyself and once with my dad.... i never wanna do it again
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
i did my HG change one bymyself and once with my dad.... i never wanna do it again

then you must have done something wrong because its really not that bad.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
then you must have done something wrong because its really not that bad.

just time consuming
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I never had to do it but I did do injectors. Is it worse than injectors? They did not seem too bad

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
just time consuming

relationships are time consuming... man done i hate those and i never wnat to do one again.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
What engine and how many miles are on it?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
I never had to do it but I did do injectors. Is it worse than injectors? They did not seem too bad

I had to do injectors too. It's 6 bolts on the mani and that's it (other bolts too, the ERG was a bitch in my book)

You can do the HG yourself, just give yourself a lot of time because you only want to do the job once. You cannot reuse head bolts

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
you only want to do the job once
yeah, don't be like me
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
jlong
GL Member

I finally got the time to look at the engine and I think the engine has turned its last RPM.

I drained the oil and lots of water came out. Got the valve cover off and the front cover off. There was no water in the top of the head and everything looked clean. Water did come out of the front cover.

I was going to take the timing chain off but the colored links won't line up with the marks so I think the chain skipped at some point. I cannot turn the engine with a wrench with the plugs out.

When I bump the starter I hear a grinding noise.

At this point I really think water damaged the rotating assembly.

Any final thoughts? Anyone looking for a project? The body is in really good shape, white 4 door power everything and power drivers seat. Anyone need any parts hit me up.

RIP 2004 - 4/19/2012

I don't think I'm going to rebuild it. I have a 97 cherokee 4X4 that is in my garage awaiting a rebuilt motor and is in the same basic position as the alero. After watching the "Cheap Cherokee" series on trucks I am feeling pretty inspired to get it going again. I see a stroked 4 litter in my very near future.