Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
settite
GX Member

settite is on a distinguished road
Recent Repairs/Upgrades

So recently it seems everything on my car has wanted to break but at least they were all pretty easy fixes except for one of them. My air box/resonator broke and I replaced it with a chromeintakes intake. The lower support on my radiator broke and I ended up making a new one out of aircraft aluminum which shouldn't even think about breaking now. All the plastic parts and supports really annoy me... And my fuel pump died so I had to end up replacing it and got a decent bosch pump off of ebay. Below are the pics of the support and the intake!

Edit: Note - I did have to modify the intake I got some to fit properly... I replaced the 45 degree pipe with 90 degree attached to the air filter. The bracket had to be bent and moved to another hose clamp to fit and I had to bore out the mass air sensor gasket a little bit so that the one on the Alero would fit and it was still a tough fit.

As for the radiator support it took a bit of work to drill out the old screws that the old support used so I could bolt the one I fabricated in. Also, I wanted the flex in it to give it some positive suspension and a little more shock absorption compared to the plastic one.

Last edited by settite : 07-16-2012 at 05:34 PM.
settite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
settite
GX Member

I would like to convert that intake into a full CAI. Any recommendations on where to get the piping to do so? And any suggestions on bypass valves?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
ebay. purchase a cold air intake for a 3400 and you should have all the parts to add to what you have.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
DRM Racing
GX Member

DRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond repute
thats a clean install on the intake! and like graham said just look on ebay for tubing or just get the CAI for the grand am/ alero. I have the CAI on the grand am but you will have issues with water when it rains if you dont have a bypass filter installed in between the cone filter and the intake.
DRM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
settite
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM Racing View Post
thats a clean install on the intake! and like graham said just look on ebay for tubing or just get the CAI for the grand am/ alero. I have the CAI on the grand am but you will have issues with water when it rains if you dont have a bypass filter installed in between the cone filter and the intake.

Thanks for the compliment on the clean install. Living in WA I know I will need a bypass and I will for sure check out ebay. I got this intake from Chromeintakes but used a K&N filter instead of the one they shipped with it. Not sure which gives better performance but I trust the K&N branded filter more than theirs unless they just rebrand K&N cone filters as theirs.

Would you recommend taking out the rest of the original intake piping that is in the wheel well or just leaving it until I get the pieces to make it a full CAI? Not sure if it is restricting air flow at all.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by settite View Post

Would you recommend taking out the rest of the original intake piping that is in the wheel well or just leaving it until I get the pieces to make it a full CAI? Not sure if it is restricting air flow at all.

take it out...and sadly I lost like .8mpg when I switched the cheapo filter with a K&N..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
settite
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
take it out...and sadly I lost like .8mpg when I switched the cheapo filter with a K&N..

Alright. So should I stay with the K&N or use the chromeintakes filter?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
K&N is a safer bet...plus it has a lifetime warranty..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
settite
GX Member

True. Really can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty. .8mpg isn't that much either for reliability.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
DRM Racing
GX Member

DRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond repute
yea i would take out the remaining parts so when you do upgrade its already done and out of the way
DRM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote