Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #21
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i know this, but you said wider rim for wider tire above, which is why i brought up the width thing. For me personally though, wider is better for straight line racing...
Old 03-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
My main reason for changing the size was that Dunlop z1 comes in limited sizes only and I had to pick something... On the tire calculator this seemed to be the closest fit.

And I do agree with you that in straight lines wider tires will most likely help... specially on dry roads. I have to worry about hydroplaning though and wider tires are more prone to that.

Back to the rims.... do you think $200 is reasonable for those?
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
ah ok, well that fits, me personally i have potenza re050A, 255/40/17s in the front and 235/35/17s in the rear...
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
Looking at the ratings the re05a seems to have bad treadwear.

Comparing the two:

#16 on max performance:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

#2 on extreme performance (better wet traction than #1):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=EP

A couple of people autocross with these and result wise they are right below the r-compounds.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
kwhauck
2Screwy

See, me personally i don't care about the treadware. Why, you may ask? Well your d1z or whatever they are have a listed price of $171 a piece for my 255/40/17 tire size, I didn't even look up the 235/45/17s. I paid $120 total for my barely used re050a tires, and should get me by this summer with some drags and autocross thrown in there no problem.....