Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > Forced Induction Performance

Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
k6ng6r00
GX Member

k6ng6r00 is on a distinguished road
another boosted 3400 thread

Picked up the new toys yesterday:

She needs some new thrust bearings, figured might as well start a thread.

It appears the only place to get the bearings is here: http://www.superchargerrebuild.com/?page_id=6
Should i get the rebuild kit with mechanical seals or ptfe/viton seals?
k6ng6r00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck with the rebuild! Man I miss my boost!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
k6ng6r00
GX Member

I emailed and this is what i got back:
Quote:
Mechanical is like what the factory uses , seals against the back of the thrust washer. Lasts the longest.
PTFE is an aftermarket alternative that seals on the shaft.
Sounds like i should get the mechanical seal.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Where you get that swag @ homie?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Contact the guys at 928motorsports.com They have anything you need to rebuild any part of your charger man.... they are freakin' awesome to deal with. That's who hooked me up
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Where you get that swag @ homie?

Never......again......
Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
k6ng6r00
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Contact the guys at 928motorsports.com They have anything you need to rebuild any part of your charger man.... they are freakin' awesome to deal with. That's who hooked me up

I did, the girl on the phone told me they only sell the parts for a v1 or a v2...
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Something wrong there dude. They told me to contact them for anything I needed. I got my seal and bearing from them!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
k6ng6r00
GX Member

Hmm ill call them again and see what happens.

So in theory is there any possible way to dial in the tune with a supercharger so good that you get better fuel economy? or is it always going to be worse no matter what because of the pulley and everything sucking down power?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by k6ng6r00 View Post
Hmm ill call them again and see what happens.

So in theory is there any possible way to dial in the tune with a supercharger so good that you get better fuel economy? or is it always going to be worse no matter what because of the pulley and everything sucking down power?

Only as far as it is possible to increase mileage over stock on a tune without the SC. In other words, tune it for better mileage while it is stock first. The SC will then decrease mileage when installed, but you may get a net gain. Not likely, though.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
k6ng6r00
GX Member

If it was a turbo could it be done? Im just thinking all these new little boosted eco shitboxes getting 30+mpg with turbos and whatnot, does boost allow you to get more energy per fuel molecurle or something?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If it was a turbo could it be done? Im just thinking all these new little boosted eco shitboxes getting 30+mpg with turbos and whatnot, does boost allow you to get more energy per fuel molecurle or something?

Nope, just more (air + fuel) per unit of time
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
k6ng6r00
GX Member

Can i use this for the oil feed & return??
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomestikDemon View Post
Is that the right name for those things? Well anyway, here's a pic of a 3400 engine, just for reference.

See how the oil filter (blue thing) comes down at an angle? It's probably a major complaint for anyone who has ever done an oil change on a 3400 and doesn't know to punch a hole in the filter and let the oil run out. Regardless of that trick, IMO all oilfilters should be vertical, like the 3100:

I'll try to get a pic of mine later today, but the 3100 has this adapter thing that threads onto the block in the same location as the 3400's oil filter, but it is like a 45 degree adapter, facing the oil filter straight up and down.

Also, this adapter has two holes in it, both of which are blocked off by 3/8 drive set screws. Basically, it's a spot to hook up oil (cooler?) lines for turbo applications. Theres no need for any modification either, it's a GM part.

This has simply been for informative purposes. I've known about this since I was searching for 5-spd tranny's in junkyards, but never thought to share until just now, so for that I'm sorry everyone. But there, if you're going turbo, this is a very good alternative to drilling holes. Also if you want the convenience of a vertical filter, from what I can tell, it shouldn't interfere with the AC compressor. Like I said, FYI.

Last edited by k6ng6r00 : 04-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
^someone has done their homework.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
k6ng6r00
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
^someone has done their homework.

Its just unclear whether or not it will work properly.... if the set screws he is talking about function as an inlet and outlet it should create a loop that would feed and return the oil correct? The way im imaginining it it would be the same plumbing as if you were using a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler, except instead of an oil cooler its a supercharger...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its just unclear whether or not it will work properly.... if the set screws he is talking about function as an inlet and outlet it should create a loop that would feed and return the oil correct? The way im imaginining it it would be the same plumbing as if you were using a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler, except instead of an oil cooler its a supercharger...

your talking to a noob when it comes this in depth I leave things like that for people like chris (C2) to take care of.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Why would you return oil to the filter your taking it from... Just return to the oil pan and get a sandwich plate and feed from it.. People have been doing it for years and theres a reason for that... It works better than anything else.

But ive been on the road all day so maybe I read your question wrong
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
k6ng6r00
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Why would you return oil to the filter your taking it from... Just return to the oil pan and get a sandwich plate and feed from it.. People have been doing it for years and theres a reason for that... It works better than anything else.

But ive been on the road all day so maybe I read your question wrong

Because im trying to think outside the box and work smarter not harder. There are oil sandwich plates designed to create a loop, as opposed to just adding an accessory fitting. My question is, what happens to the supercharger when the oil is pumped through it like this, instead of just trickled on top and gravity drained from the bottom. This would basically just supply a higher volume of oil than what "people have been doing for years" but is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I dont know much about superchargers but with turbos to much oil fives you blowby and can cause coking of the bearing after time
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
k6ng6r00
GX Member

I just looked at the inlet on the vortech its really small... the oil wouldn't be able to make it through the supercharger fast enough to not starve the engine of oil... nevermind. Even if the inlet on the super could be drilled out, and even if the additional pressure didnt push oil into the inducer, it probably would still restrict the oil from getting to the engine...

Last edited by k6ng6r00 : 04-29-2012 at 07:17 PM.