Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Hubcentric Rings-something I learned the hard way

Now that it is nearing the end of summer I decided to put the pimp rims back on Angel. I had the stocks put on before we towed her to VA from TX. It isn't until I get to the last tire, pull the stock off and see the melted hubcentric ring. Ruined.

eff.

They were there for a reason so I did not ignore their destruction. Of course I can't find any in an auto parts store so I call tirerack to:

1. Make sure I have the right size for the pimp rims (if needed)
2. Make sure I have the right size
3. Get a set for the stocks as well (if not interchangeable)

Tire rack informs me that yes, pimp rims need the black plastic hub centric rings but stock wheels do not typically have hub centric rings on account the stock wheel is fitted to the stock hub-right? Makes sense to me. Especially after pulling my stock wheel off to find the melted ring flattened inside.

So correct me if I am wrong: our stock wheels do not need the plastic black hub centric rings. And if wrong: please point me in the right direction to have the proper size.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
stock rims dont need hubcentric rings. just slam them on

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
Now that it is nearing the end of summer I decided to put the pimp rims back on Angel. I had the stocks put on before we towed her to VA from TX. It isn't until I get to the last tire, pull the stock off and see the melted hubcentric ring. Ruined.

eff.

They were there for a reason so I did not ignore their destruction. Of course I can't find any in an auto parts store so I call tirerack to:

1. Make sure I have the right size for the pimp rims (if needed)
2. Make sure I have the right size
3. Get a set for the stocks as well (if not interchangeable)

Tire rack informs me that yes, pimp rims need the black plastic hub centric rings but stock wheels do not typically have hub centric rings on account the stock wheel is fitted to the stock hub-right? Makes sense to me. Especially after pulling my stock wheel off to find the melted ring flattened inside.

So correct me if I am wrong: our stock wheels do not need the plastic black hub centric rings. And if wrong: please point me in the right direction to have the proper size.

Stock wheels need no rings. I went thru the hubcentric ring deal with 5Zigen wheels one time. I contacted the manufacturer and bought them over the phone.

I switched wheels to stock size at the track once and forgot the rings were on. Not good.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Yep. In that same boat...Glad to have it confirmed though! Won't make that mistake again.