Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #61
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthofen View Post
The driver's side rear on mine has developed an annoying tendency to fall down slowly, as you drive. It never gets very far before I notice it (few inches usually) and I can pull it back up, or push it farther down, with my hands. It will go down but not back up using the switch. I wouldn't care if it would just stay closed, but since it falls of its own volition, I'm afraid I'll forget to "secure" it one day before it rains. Is this a broken clip, or something else going on?

Driver's side front did the abrupt falling inside door, had that fixed by a glass shop for something like $200. Hoping to not spend $$$ this time!

simple to replace the regulator.... its like three bolts..
Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #62
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Hijack question: I put a new regulator and motor assembly on the drivers side front window. The plastic covered metal wires on the regulator were hooked together with a cable tie in the middle. I wasnt sure if I should of cut it or not so I left it on. The window works but you have to play with the switch to get it to go down. Always goes up everytime and it seems smooth and fast. Just wondering if that plastic cable tie thing could be making it hard to go down or if its just the window switch (which is what I think). And I should mention it only goes down in the auto-down method. Once you play with the switch and it starts to go down it just keeps going down unless you stop it by tapping the up button. Sounds like the switch right? No unusual noises or anything....

switch looks original, and the car has 223k miles on it.

Last edited by Runaboveit : 12-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #63
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Can anybody link me a current ebay listing that has the correct window regulator/clips for the passenger rear door for a 4 door?

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #64
walkerj014
GX Member

walkerj014 is on a distinguished road
I also got these at my local advance auto parts store. But here is a ebay store I bought my regulator and sash clips from. (free shipping! )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-2000-01-02-03-04-Oldsmobile-Alero-Window-Sash-Clips_W0QQitemZ400109798121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d286702e9
Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #65
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
If I get this, do I still need the sash clips?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDSM..._ 1631wt_1167

Last edited by Naich : 03-25-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #66
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naich View Post
If I get this, do I still need the sash clips?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDSM..._ 1631wt_1167

I do believe so Nick. I had to but mine seperately.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #67
sfi3400
GL Member

sfi3400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sfi3400 Send a message via Yahoo to sfi3400
my drivers window reg went so i dont no how to change it so i brought it in. Well cars suck the reg gm has out now will not fit on the stock alero motors from the factory so i had to get a new motor to. so to get a reg, motor and install a pretty 600 bucks
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #68
Oldsnut

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfi3400 View Post
my drivers window reg went so i dont no how to change it so i brought it in. Well cars suck the reg gm has out now will not fit on the stock alero motors from the factory so i had to get a new motor to. so to get a reg, motor and install a pretty 600 bucks
You should feel a little violated.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #69
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Ok, I have a quick (stupid) question.

Took off door panel blah blah blah, the back side (closest to the B pillar) clip that is glued to the bottom of the window was sitting in the bottom of the door. The plastic thing that held it to the wire guide on the regulator was all cracked. So, I need a new plastic clip and the whole metal & rubber thing that mounts to the glass. Are those the part numbers in the OP? Also, if the plastic clip is broken, do I have to replace the whole regulator?

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #70
walkerj014
GX Member

I believe they only sell the clips with the regulator now. I've seen the sash (mounts on window) at autozone and oreily's or buy them on ebay. It took me about an hour to do the front passenger and drivers side. The only thing I didn't like was removing what was left of the old sash clips and epoxying the new ones in. (got messy)

Sash clips are alot cheaper at your local autoparts store IMO.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #71
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Ok, I hate to bring this back up, but I figure its better then starting a whole new post.

So, today my dad replaced the sash (the plastic thing that glues to the bottom of the window), and the clip that holds the metal arm to the regulator. So after that was all in there, my window is pretty slow and it sounds like its trying pretty damn hard to push it up and theres about a 1/8'' gap between the top of the glass and the seal toward the back (B-pillar). Is there something with the regulator that needs to be adjusted? Or maybe the regulator is starting to go?

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #72
walkerj014
GX Member

Are you sure the window is seated in the channels correctly? Its not supposed to have a gap at all, I would double check to see if it is. Thats prolly why the motor is having a hard time.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #73
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a good site I found with a how-to on troubleshooting and replacing window regulators, switches, and what not....

http://www.a1electric.com/grandam.htm

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #74
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to throw this out there as a big FYI for everyone who might be confused.

You might not have to replaced the whole window regulator.....just the white clips that cost an arm and a half.

Its an easy fix.....very easy fix. All you need is a 10mm socket, rachet, and a screw driver to get started.

If you tap the switch and you can hear the window try to go up or down then more than likely its just the white plastic clips.

I will try to post pictures up soon since I will be doing this tomorrow but this time on the passenger side.

What I want to make sure is if the part numbers posted by the original author are the same for the driver and passenger side?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #75
bigbiz15
GX Member

bigbiz15 is on a distinguished road
Window regulator

The window regulator and the sash clips can be bought on amazon for really cheap. Also the clips can be purchased at auto zone or advance auto for 6 dollars. Does anybody know the name of the rubber piece that did between the door and the window. I can't find it nowhere.
bigbiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #76
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Which one do u mean?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #77
Leftoverture
GX Member

Leftoverture is on a distinguished road
Pardon me for resurrecting a long dead thread, but my stepson's power window is driving me crazy. In the last year the driver side window has broken 5 times. I have used the sash clip kit from AutoZone and window regulator assemblies from Rock Auto and O'Reilly. It made it a couple months the first time, about two weeks the 2nd time, then about 9 months. Now just this week he had his dad's shop do the repair and it lasted 2 days. I should mention it is an 04 two door and this is the driver side. So what am I missing that keeps causing it to fail? Worn tracks? Misalignment somewhere? Open to any input please!

Last edited by Leftoverture : 08-08-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #78
Oldsnut

I am gonna guess misalignment. Are the clips the only thing that is breaking? How hard is he closing the door?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #79
Leftoverture
GX Member

Leftoverture is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
I am gonna guess misalignment. Are the clips the only thing that is breaking? How hard is he closing the door?

The clips have broken as well as some of the plastic guide pieces on the regulator assembly. Last time I did it, I left everything kind of loose, ran the window up to self align everything, then tightened it all up. That seems to have gotten it to last the longest. This time I think it was only the clips.

I have told him to make sure the window is fully closed whenever he open or closes the door, but I can't swear he is following my suggestion all the time.
Leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #80
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverture View Post
Pardon me for resurrecting a long dead thread, but my stepson's power window is driving me crazy. In the last year the driver side window has broken 5 times. I have used the sash clip kit from AutoZone and window regulator assemblies from Rock Auto and O'Reilly. It made it a couple months the first time, about two weeks the 2nd time, then about 9 months. Now just this week he had his dad's shop do the repair and it lasted 2 days. I should mention it is an 04 two door and this is the driver side. So what am I missing that keeps causing it to fail? Worn tracks? Misalignment somewhere? Open to any input please!

Convert to manual windows if you can find the parts. Those NEVER break!
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote