Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
littlebandito

A friend of mine told me that if you shift into Neutral and coast to a stop then use the E brake instead of park that it would take pressure off the transmission and put it on the brake. Does that really work?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
manual or auto?

if auto, you're just taking the wear and tear from the tranny and putting it on the brakes. Yes, both the tranny and brakes can be replaced, but brakes are cheaper. Plus braking while still in drive rather than neutral balances the wear. Don't be dumb.

tell your friend he's a bum.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
smack your friend in the back of the head. unless you drive like a manic (like some of us do) you won't have any tranny problems.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
nah, wont help ya any. It's just as much wear on the tranny taking it in and out of D. Remember, when pressure is removed, it's reapplied. Maintaining constant pressure is better for it than engaging/disengaging the clutch packs repeatedly.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
yeah... that's retarded... and what about when you are parked on a hill and your car is in neutral and your e-brake starts getting worn and slips and your car rolls down the hill, smokes an audi A8, a mercades sl55, and a geo metro and rockets off the end of a loading dock into a river where it punctures the side of a cruise ship that michael bolton is performing on and the world blows up... do us all a favor and just leave it in drive...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
littlebandito

I dont know man, Im not a big fan of Micahel Bolton...I think a 2004 Alero might be the right price to pay to get rid of him...and then make him famous because hes dead.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
well, there's ONE way to get attention...heh

Old 03-24-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
well, if you know for sure Michael Bolton is going to be right there, go ahead and drive like that. mwahahaha
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Takes longer to stop with the car in Netural :Noooo:

IF your buddy believes that, I have a nice chuck of ocean front land in Kansas I can sell him

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

with amber waves of grain?

Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
I think what he is trying??? to say is that you should pull the parking brake before putting your car in park when parking. That way your tranny will not be holding the car on the park claw in the tranny and your Ebrake will be doing all of the work. This is what I do every time I park. I can't stand to put it in park, and feel the car catch on the tranny.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I don't think that's what the kid means, it does say "put the car in N and pull the E brake and coast to a stop"

Yes I do set the parking brake before taking the foot off the brake when parking, that does help the tranny, esp on a hill, the brake is holding the car, not the tranny

Pulling the E brake to stop is bad, the e brake will not last long, plus pulling too quick, will cause a car to skid out of control

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:45 AM   #13
1WhiteOSV

LMAO....maybe if your tranny is f*ed and you are trying to get it to the shop right away and your brakes dont work anymore and all you have is an ebrake.....THEN i could see that being a good idea.....but otherwise tell him he's retarded and that is TOTALLY unnecessary
Old 03-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
Quote:
Originally posted by brsexton@Mar 26 2006, 11:18 AM
I think what he is trying??? to say is that you should pull the parking brake before putting your car in park when parking. That way your tranny will not be holding the car on the park claw in the tranny and your Ebrake will be doing all of the work. This is what I do every time I park. I can't stand to put it in park, and feel the car catch on the tranny.

i do the same thing i'm so use to drining my vw cabriolet manual so i'm always putting the parking brake/ebrake on the alero but never use it to try to stop unless ur doing doughnuts in the winter time .. thats the only time i use it but under controled settings.. never on the open road