Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Mir Dot

Last night night I was on my way home from out of town and I was trying to make up some lost time. As soon as I got up to about 109mph the car stopped accelerating and slowed down to about 90mph. Is there a way that I can flash the memory to remove the limiter?

I'm probably not going to go that fast again but sometimes I just may wanna see how fast I can go.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
you have the 3400 V6, or 4 cyl?

For the 3400, you can get a performance PCM from DHP (Digital HorsePower) for $99 (plus core) from several sources. This will improve performance in general, and also remove the speed limiter.

For the 4cyl, I believe there is something new on the market from HP Tuner or somelike....but I dont have much knowledge on the 4cyl market.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Str33tRacer

ok... lets think for one second.... u want to remove the device that GM put in there to save your life because you cant slow down after 109..... hmmm dosnt sound like a great plan with stock brakes and suspention....
Old 04-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ya know, I respect what you're trying to do Str33tRacer (odd to say such a thing with a name like yours), now imagine if when I wanted to make my car go faster and was just learning about it, that everybody said "it's too dangerous to go fast so we're not going to help you"

Did you want to rethink that statement, or just let everyone develop their own thoughts on the matter?

Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
i'd have to agree with blackjack.

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Coldfire
GL Member

Coldfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Apr 1 2006, 08:08 PM

For the 3400, you can get a performance PCM from DHP (Digital HorsePower) for $99 (plus core) from several sources. This will improve performance in general, and also remove the speed limiter.

Sources please!
Coldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
www.pfyc.com has it, go through the banner here on aleromod, im pretty sure the site will get a little kickback from it. i just bought one, its a good mod, but know that you have to use 91 octane in your car then, search dhp or pcm here on the site for more info.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
(on the streetracer/blackjack discussion)

yeh.. dont the Euro "chevy" aleros not have limiters on them? so it could handle going faster, i guess its just that they figure a typical person in the US does not need to go that fast anytime in their life. I have been that fast once, i admit... but i wont do it again, and i dont recommend doing it either.. its like saying "please kill me!!" or "please take my license away for like... ever!!"
Old 04-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
racin4JC
GL Member

racin4JC is an unknown quantity at this point
With the DHP PCM had mine to 125 and it was still going (speeding up slowly), stock brakes, stock suspension, handled like a champ! And in ND we have all the room in the world with straight and flat roads and very few cops were I live, plus you can see for atleast 10miles both ways.
racin4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah jordan, i know we are getting a little borderline here to starting another controversy over this, but i took mine to 127 on I29 last night just to see if it could do it. like he said, here in ND the roads dont curve for miles and as long as you watch for headlights you are fine. scared myself pretty good.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #11
racin4JC
GL Member

Yeah at least you were in a 75 mile and hour zone, I was doin mine in a 40, but hey 85 over would have only been a couple of years in jail.

!!!WARNING!!! Racin4jc does not recommend speeding or being involved in any other illegal activity and will not pay for any of your tickets if you can't out run the cop!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #12
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
I notice blackjack gave little info for the 4-cylinders...... is it a pcm as well, but for a 4-cylinder? Now i know if you vip memebers read, i got a pretty hefty fine... and poss license suspension..... it was my first offense though.... im waiting to go to the magistrate's..... I want a speed limiter though because i want to see how fast my alero can go..... its just as simple as that..... could any one help me out with this?
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21@Apr 3 2006, 02:19 PM
I notice blackjack gave little info for the 4-cylinders...... is it a pcm as well, but for a 4-cylinder? Now i know if you vip memebers read, i got a pretty hefty fine... and poss license suspension..... it was my first offense though.... im waiting to go to the magistrate's..... I want a speed limiter though because i want to see how fast my alero can go..... its just as simple as that..... could any one help me out with this?

lol... you mean you DON'T want a speed limiter...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
lol no i do..... i learned my lesson.... dont go speeding during a double corridor.....
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
my car pegged out the speedo on the dyno (140mph+) so its hard to say how fast you can actually go without the limiter. i have heard that the aerodynamic "wall" is like 135mph. i have never had it that fast on the street though.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack always gives very little info on the 4 cyl, because BlackJack doesn't have one and does very little research on them as a result.

As far as speed limiters and 4 cyl tuning are concerned, your expert connection on this is named Spy (here on Aleromod). Highly regarded on the Grand Am forums (known as SpyHunter) for pusing his into the low 13's. I believe he said he's going to be getting a new tuner for the 4cyls from HPTuners or somelike. Check with him if you want 4 cyl info.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #17
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
The limiter kicks in at a certain RPM, not a certain speed.. Hence a manual could make it to higher mph by being in the right gear to keep the rpm's lower. (ex. my bf's manual Frontier tops out MUCH higher than my manager's auto Frontier of the same year and model)
Apparently, its a common misconception that it goes by mph instead of RPMs... im not enirely sure how it works, its what i have been told tho.

SO in some explanation of jon's (^^^) pegging at 140+ on a dyno, the engine worked much less harder to get the wheels up to that speed without that coefficient of friction present when, say, driving down the highway. So its RPMs were MUCH lower than it would be if it was on the street moving, and the rev limiter didnt kick in.

It IS called a REV limiter for a reason
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
racin4JC
GL Member

I don't believe that is correct. Because my auto. 3.4 just shifts into 4th gear when it would hit the speed limiter (meaning the RPM's would only be at like 3000). The REV limiter has to do when you like sitting there in park and you put your throttle to the floor, it won't allow you to run the car all the way up to the red line it will limit it at like 3500 or 4000 I don't remember the exact number. The speed limiter has something to do with the speedo or a censor in the hub because when I changed to 18's I picked up like 2 miles per hour more.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #19
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
.. not to mention the coefficient of friction has NOTHING to do with the rev limiter...

wether your dyno'ing your car or illegally speeding down the highway... your RPM will NOT differ... unless you car breaks the laws of physics... :smack:
Old 04-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #20
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

ok, once again, speaking only on the 3400, but it's probably the same in the 4cyl. GM put in BOTH a speed limiter that kicks in at ~107 MPH, AND a rev limiter (separate entity) that kicks in at ~5800 RPM. The rev limiter is to keep you from reaching redline and blowing the motor, the speed limiter is obviously for keeping the car from exceeding safe speeds. IIRC, the rev limiter cuts spark, and the speed limiter cuts injectors.