Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 11-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
havik

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:56 pm by nguyen187
Quote:
Yeah you read right!!! In this months issue of Sport Compact Car, page 162, it is listed.

The little piece they wrote about was that Garret GT-Series Turbos are gonna be more widely used. In short the GT-Series rules, i couldn't afford it myselft, it was $350 more than the standard turbo. Basically the GT is a ball bearing setup, which allows for quicker spooling and longer life, so pretty much its more effecient!

According to the piece GM and Garret should be selling the kit, don't know exactly when but it should be quite interesting when it does!

Posted by Voodoosoup
Quote:

On a side note, John Lingenfelter was drag racing an ecotec powered cavalier for Summit Racing in the NHRA Sport Compact series in 2002. The car was running the 1/4 in the 6's!

Here is a picture of him launching his cavy. http://www.nhraimport.com/2002/events/race...os/photo19.html

Lingenfelter's shop is about 35-40minutes south of where I live. One of my brothers good friends works there.

Posted by jturkey69
Quote:
has anyone heard if he made a full recovery from his accident???...he wrecked the cav pretty severly and might not make it out of the coma

Posted by nguyen187
Quote:
I been wondering that as well, hopefully so.

As for turbo kits i guess there are about 4 or 5 more comming out, damn you guys.

Posted by velocity
Quote:
That's impressive...7.6 sec 1/4 time with a 2.2L engine (probably bored out, but how high could they possibly go 2.5L?)

Posted by jturkey69
Quote:
stroker crank is used to achieve 2.5L

Posted by final-reality
Quote:

no poop? they stroked the ECO to 2.5L? thats crazy poop... must use bunnying titanium parts or something super light so it can still achieve high RPMs... then again, I've never built a drag car, so I have no idea how it would run...

Posted by Oldsman71
Quote:
probably alum rods but definitely used some titanium parts. Most likely in the head. There is more thought and engineering in those motors than you can imagine. Oh forgot to say money too.................lol

I'm sure they used either 4 bolt mains or a stud gridle to hold the bottom end together.

Posted by jturkey69
Quote:
if i remember right...they are cross bolted mains

Posted by final-reality
Quote:
aluminum rods? You gotta be joking, right? They would fold up like a wet tissue paper under the boost they have to be running in that engine to run in the 6's

I'd bet my house (note: I don't own a house) that they use titanium rods and PROBABLY a titanium crank, but it may just be high-strength steel, and probably press-fitted aluminum pistons or racing-quality rings

Very expensive stuff...

Posted by nguyen187
Quote:
i'm pretty sure that's it's titanium rods, valves, valve springs, etc. My friends dad owns Stealth Eng. which makes titanium components for "Nascar cars" and he also races 200+ drag cars, says that titanium is the metal of choice for its lightweightness and strength!

Eriq - I'm not sure when they are going to release the kit or if they are, but this was something i found in SCC. If you are serious i would look into Johnny Mack and Karo over at the J-Body.org. ALso Exploited is making kits as well. Just hop onto the J-Body.org and do a search!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
Final-Reality

Something tells me they don't use a stroker crank at all, but a de-stroked crank to give the engine a more favourable "square" bore-stroke ratio (86MM bore, 85MM stroke) for making lots of horsepower... and durr titanium is the ultimate material for its supremely light weight and strength :thumbsup: