Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #21
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
If I can get a good picture to turn out, I'll snap a pic of my interior lights... I replaced all the lights with white LEDs (the two in the mirror, the one in the dome light, and the two under the dash).... The other two in that dome light, I put blue LEDs in, but rarely use them cause of the police... Other than that, it looks pretty cool. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my new car whenever I get it... I like the Whiteness of the LEDs.

You can't really see the dome light from outside of the car, you don't have a thing to worry about with the police.

I drove around with cathodes sewn into my headliner right above the windows and didn't even have problems once.
And even in the Buick with blue LEDs in the front domelights I've been ok.

but I usppose better safe than sorry could play out, too.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
the tube lights should be 3157? from superbrightleds.com
can anyone vouch for this? thinking about doing it today

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #23
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
A little poking on their site says 4410's. They link to the sylvania site and at least on the 2003 ho they say the dome replacement is a 212-2 which their chart says is 4410. If it's anything like mine it won't look anything like the bulb you'll pull out. Mine had looped wires on each end instead of metal cones. But when I put in the 212-2 it fit just fine. I think I ened up bending the prongs a little just to make it grab a little tighter so I felt better...
Ghadsphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #24
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
Dear Cherry:
Please make a detailed how to on the whole gauge thing i just bought 10 red led's and 10 resistors and i know how to get the thing apart. just not very good at the whole soldering shit and knowing a damn thing about leds
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam337 View Post
Dear Cherry:
Please make a detailed how to on the whole gauge thing i just bought 10 red led's and 10 resistors and i know how to get the thing apart. just not very good at the whole soldering shit and knowing a damn thing about leds

Like I said before..... If you just want one color behind the gauge, it's much easier just getting the 194 LED bulbs and sticking them in there... No soldering, no wireing, nothing! Just plug in and light up! lol
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
adam337
GLS member

Note the fact that i already bought leds. youre really not helping cav =\
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #27
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Well then have fun....
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #28
adam337
GLS member

ill try..
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #29
adam337
GLS member

-bump- for cherry..
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #30
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
How to Led Gauges, in 7 easy steps! I make wiring FUN!

This up coming week, i'll have some free time, so i might be able to take my gauges out and take pics. But don't bank on it... I've been really busy lately.

check the how to, for wiring leds for basic knowledge of what i'm gonna say. (wiring and distribution block)

I have a small 12 screw distro (6 on each side) Of course, this will cause you to have to over lap some wires, but that won't be a problem.

1: Remove the plastic holders, and remove the 194 bulbs. The easiest way is to look at the bottom where the metal contacts are. Take a small screwdriver or knife and pull out the leads. Then the bulb should just pull straight out.

2: Insert the led... facing forward. Make SURE to sand the tip down flat. It'll look like crap if you don't. I used one per color, in each. Some people used more, its just brighter that way.

3: You can either solder the resistor to either lead, and carefully wrap the leads where the old 194 bulb leads were, thus avoiding to run any more wires. (suggested method) you'll just have to figure out which way to clip it back in, for the correct power/ground combination

4: [if you ignore the previous step] You can just run the leads out each side, totally ignoring the contacts on the circuit board. After each led is in place, but a small bead of hot glue around it, to insure it stays put. (don't want them flopping around in there) Solder a red wire to the power, black to the ground. Personally, i put resistors on the ground side. This is entirely up to you, it doesn't make a difference.

5: Run the soldered wires to the distro block. (i separated mine into red and blue, but yours would be all the same) I ran all the grounds together, and soldered them to one main line that i ran to a solid ground.

6: Splice your center console cubby hole power wire (gray?) and run a line from that to the distro block. be sure to include the jumper so the power is spread to all the spots on the block. This will make it so your lights will turn on at night, only.

7: Make sure your parking break isn't pulled (my "night" lights don't turn on if it is) and find a dark spot.. then sit back and embrace the glow. If its too bright, you can put a resistor in line w/ the power, to restrict some power... I don't think i had to do this for my reds, but i did for the blues.

I ran all the wires off to the right of the cluster. Using some duct tape on the black plastic behind the gauges to hold the wires in place, since there isn't much room once you reinsert the gauges. There should be a gap between where your radio is, and where the gauges are. I put the distro in there. It doesn't touch anything.

Also keep in mind.... It took me like 3 months of troubleshooting to finally get it to stay, unflickering and short proof. There were many nights i was driving home with no gauge lights. Be careful and do things right the first time, and you won't have to do this. I tend to start projects, take forever, then speed up and get sloppy at the end. DON'T DO THAT!

Good luck.
cherrington17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #31
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AleroEco View Post
Thanks turned out great... i found a 2 pack of the 194B at AdvanceAuto for like 1.50/PAIR.. i just need to get 1 more bulb.. looks sweet so far

Shit... not bad I just got some for like 1.98 a pair... probably change those out tonight
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #32
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Well I got mine changed out with some bulbs... although their not as bright as I had hoped for and not exactly the right color because of the green on the stock gauges... I'll probably change them out with leds later on... possibly later this month and I'll def get a new gauge kit to change the greenish tint... xD now I have 3 light colors in my car! Blue, Green, and AQUA!!!