Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #41
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Hmm, so I just attempted this. Didnt work :/ I had strobe lights for lows too. My DRL's were already disabled and I even pulled the DRL relay and it still strobed. Anybody got any ideas??

Right now Im thinking it's a bad ground. All I did was use the strut tower bold thing (Idk what it's called) and scraped off a little paint so it could ground to the body. Whats another good ground I can easily get too?

Last edited by Philbar71 : 06-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #42
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
The ground the thread started used is pretty good. And using the dome bolts is not a good idea, cause a lot of rubber, insulation and material is mix down there.
Just bolt in the fender wall. And check your connections. Perhaps its just a bad crimp shoe.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #43
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
The ground the thread started used is pretty good. And using the dome bolts is not a good idea, cause a lot of rubber, insulation and material is mix down there.
Just bolt in the fender wall. And check your connections. Perhaps its just a bad crimp shoe.

I think im just going to ground to the batt for testing purposes. Is that ok? And Ive double and triple checked my wiring, it's all good.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Here you are, kind sir.

In order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
I think im just going to ground to the batt for testing purposes. Is that ok? And Ive double and triple checked my wiring, it's all good.
This circuit is between the relays for both low and highbeams if you pulled the relay to either one it will never work. Its hard trying to figure what you got going on without pics. This is based off of an unmodified lighting circuit so any changes that you have made prior to this mod will be hard to troubleshoot. This is a real easy mod however it becomes that much more difficult if you have already altered the wiring.
Some thing else- the whole thing merely taps in the light wires of the headlight there is no need to cut them at all.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #45
Philbar71
GL Member

The only thing I have done before this is disable the DRLs. Everything else is stock. And I hooked up my relay exactly as that diagram shows. And when I said I pulled a relay, I was referring to the DRL relay because my low beams were flashing like strobe lights.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #46
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The only thing I have done before this is disable the DRLs. Everything else is stock. And I hooked up my relay exactly as that diagram shows. And when I said I pulled a relay, I was referring to the DRL relay because my low beams were flashing like strobe lights.
Are the DRL's still disabled? If so then this may be your problem. If after you test the grounds and it still doesn't work then try to re-enable the DRL's if they are disabled now.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #47
Philbar71
GL Member

Yep, it was a bad ground. Got a proper ground and now it works flawlessly.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #48
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #49
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks. It's a huge improvement, even with crappy regular halogen bulbs. Im going to order some 55W HIDs to match my low beams shortly

Also, it's ok to put a switch in on the 12V wire correct? I already did and it seems to be working ok, but I just wanted to make sure it's not going to hurt anything.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #50
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Thanks. It's a huge improvement, even with crappy regular halogen bulbs. Im going to order some 55W HIDs to match my low beams shortly

Also, it's ok to put a switch in on the 12V wire correct? I already did and it seems to be working ok, but I just wanted to make sure it's not going to hurt anything.
Yeah you can put a switch on it its not going to hurt anything...and it is probably nice to have one to bypass it anyway. I've notice one thing about mine...and that is when it is really cold the contact in the relay will bump back and forth and never truly latch until it is warm...this causes a flashing effect in the lights, but other than that I've not had a problem with this mod ever. Enjoy dude....mine helps me on those really dark back roads here.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #51
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
I just did this mod on my 01. I did everything on the driver side headlight. Used the blue wire right by the pink wire. It worked fine till i stated the car. I got the strobe lights which looks pretty cool to see all 6 lights flashing.

The fix was to pull the DRL relay and cut pin 87. (I wish i knew about this easy was for my 01 grand am) On my car the DRLs are the brights. Also with the 99-00 it might have a different wiring system like the 99-00 grand am.

Anyways money shot
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #52
CrazzyCavanaugh
GX Member

CrazzyCavanaugh is on a distinguished road
headlights

I wanted to know how to get my dims to turn on when i have me high beams on
but want them to turn off when i turn them to dims and have just dims

thanks for any help
CrazzyCavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #53
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazzyCavanaugh View Post
I wanted to know how to get my dims to turn on when i have me high beams on
but want them to turn off when i turn them to dims and have just dims

thanks for any help

that is what this is for
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote