Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Stiddie
GX Member

Stiddie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stiddie
Question Painting Rims

Hey Guys,

saving up for 18" and sense winter is coming I wouldn't think of having rims on till spring anyway I was thinking of spraying my stock rims Black any sug. or tips on how to do this
Stiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I almost did mine. There are some pics online if you search and it looks pretty decent. I was told when I was going to do mine to sand them good, get a good primer (a couple layers of that) then put in 4-5 coats of paint.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiddie View Post
Hey Guys,

saving up for 18" and sense winter is coming I wouldn't think of having rims on till spring anyway I was thinking of spraying my stock rims Black any sug. or tips on how to do this

stock rims should remain stock color.

enless you powder coat them there will chip real easily (specially in the winter with all the salt and rocks flying around)

just save your money over the winter and get some nice rims in the spring
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post

enless you powder coat them there will chip real easily (specially in the winter with all the salt and rocks flying around)

not true if you do it right. sand real well so everything is dull, clean very well, then use a paint specifically for wheels. you shouldnt need to prime them since the scuffed paint acts as the primer. if you sanded down to the metal (which would take a lot of sanding), then you would need primer. i did this years ago, and it lasted for over a year until i got some new rims. there were a few chips around where the lugnuts were from removing the wheels, but overall it held up pretty good.

now this isnt to say that it looked great. it was different than stock, but now that i look back on pictures of the car, it looked cheap and kinda stupid. do what you want tho, just do it the right way.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Stiddie
GX Member

Stiddie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stiddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
now this isnt to say that it looked great. it was different than stock, but now that i look back on pictures of the car, it looked cheap and kinda stupid. do what you want tho, just do it the right way.

Thanks guys ill hold out till spring
Stiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
kROntast1c
GX Member

kROntast1c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiddie View Post
Thanks guys ill hold out till spring

i would say do that. because the painting of the stock rims may have the potential to peel and look bad if you don't do a really good job and are labour intensive. so sucking up and waiting till spring would be the better choice. that is what im doing
kROntast1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you guys ever heard of plasti dip? Its like a spray on plastic that doesn't permanently bond to the surface. It stays soft so it doesn't chip and if it does get a rip or scrape you can easily peel it off.

looks like a cheap and easy solution plus you don't have to sand down your rims.
Another cool trick is that you can spray paint the plasti dip any color you want and the paint
will just come off with the plasti dip.

Last edited by mrmike : 10-18-2011 at 03:21 PM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
yup my friend plasti-dipped his entire car to see how it would look flat black

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I would instead hydro graphic your wheels you can get some dope stuff on them

Its cool shit

Last edited by xXManwhoreXx : 10-19-2011 at 01:53 AM.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
wow those are awesome i like the plasti dip and the hydro graphic.... might have to do something with that maybe.... lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i just got a can of plasti dip, im gonna do my badges on the car and the 16' american racing rims im using for winter (old rims) ill post pics once done.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
i just got a can of plasti dip, im gonna do my badges on the car and the 16' american racing rims im using for winter (old rims) ill post pics once done.

I defiantly want to see the badges
Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
x2

yeah right!
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post

alright ill make a new thread late tonight/tomorrow. it will have the badges and maybe 1-2 rims... the can only covers 10 ft. so i dont think i can do 4 rims and badges with one can. thats all the store had when i went so ill have to get more sometime.

i will be doing them here soon and late tonight, i cant wait to see what it will look like either. also im using black plasti dip if i didnt already mention that haha.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
zearchyo
GL Member

^^^ i keep telling all u guys, that aleromod is full of ahoes like me LOL/ joke

yeah right!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
whats the windex for??
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
sleepyalero
GLS member

i have one badge almost done.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
zearchyo
GL Member

pictures, waiting for pictures of the wheels.

yeah right!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

lol. even I laughed at the one chirs. I gotta play along though so...

Last edited by Papa Rad17 : 11-16-2011 at 05:01 PM.