Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Rattling/Knocking With Sustained Right Turns

As the title says: when I am making sustained right turns, always on off ramps that do the full loop, I get a knocking/rattling noise. I am usually turning at 25 mph+ when making these sustained turns. I do not hear anything on street turns.

I originally thought it was the strut tower braces, but I have pulled those out and it still happens. The speed tells me the inertia is pushing something but I do not know what has changed. I have had the CAI and headers with no problems and I know for certain it started after originally installing the strut braces...it is somewhere at the front of the car.

Note: Someone recommended that lifting the car when putting the tower braces helps get a better stability. Bad idea. If the wheel is off the ground and those bolts are removed the whole damn wheel drops.

Any ideas on common knocking during high speed turns?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
wheel bearings?
struts?
broken springs?

jack up a front tire and start checking for play. tires should be 100% tight with no movement at all

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Thumbs up

That is why u install bars loose, lift vehicle and then tighten :/ have u tried rocking the car from outside in an attempt to duplicate noise? Anything loose under the hood ie: coolant bottle, spare tools, intake loose, do u hear the noise over bumps? Sure its in the front? I have a k&n oil can rolling in my rear fenderwell (good storage spot) that occasionaly makes noise.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely not bearings. I am very familiar with those going bad and this isn't it. I will check for play and rock it. I have not lost any tools down inside and have not noticed anything hanging or loose upon inspection.

It literally is only when making those wide right turns going around a loop off ramp. When turning right, the right side would lift and the left would compress correct?

I have the H&R Springs, mounts and the AGXs to throw in so hopefully it is suspension...because that is getting replaced : D

Anyone hear of issues with the CAI knocking? I definitely have considered going with a WAI just to have that thing out of the fenderwell...
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

bearings in the strut mounts?

mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Not sure about that. I know wheel bearings make the growling noise when they are bad.

The tower brace could not have put enough strain on the springs and struts to damage them could it?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

im just tossing out ideas. i thought maybe wheel bearing if it had enough slop in it, it might clunk.

but theres a bearing on the top of the struts i think, never had mine off. anyways ive heard of them going and making clunking noises.

or the spring seat perhaps

none the less i doubt strut bars caused it. a lot of people on here run them

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
it wouldnt be a wheeling bearing. if it was loose enough to "clunk" then it would probably bind up and refuse to turn... let alone be usable at highway speeds. the struttop "clunk" that is common is usualy more of a rattle and most noticable on dirt roads (i know 3 of mine a rattling right now). my cai never made nocking noises on my car. have you tried shaking the car yet so see if yo ucan make noise?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What about the sway bar?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Long shot, but cv joint maybe? Although you would hear it every single time you turn

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Yeah it seems to only come with wide turns to the right. It seems like more of a rattle, but a rattle of something heavier. Also seems to become worse when I press on the gas...which makes me wonder if it is the exhaust somehow-but I have had that for a while with no sounds of leaks or prior vibrations.

It is not the clunk you hear when hitting bumps that relates to bad struts. I rocked and bounced it but did not hear anything except the "whoosh" of the shocks.

Anything with the brake system? We do a LOT of HARD braking here in the DC area.

Poor Angel.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I've rocked it, pushed on it and listened more closely. The only thing I hear when I rock or push is the "whoosh" sound shocks should make. I have not had a chance to jack it up and pull on the wheels.

Feels like something reverberating through the frame. Definitely a rattle, but of something heavy. Always right turns at higher speeds. Low speed and left turns there is no sound.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

trying moving the exhaust around and see if it hits part of the car? otherwise you gotta get under it and start visualy looking for thinkgs. how are the control arm bushings? are they torn? how about sway bar bushings?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

False alarm on the suspension. Anyone I put the car in reverse I let it coast out or my downhill driveway lets gravity do the work. However, I popped it in reverse and revved it in a parking lot and the damn thing rattled away.

Looks like I have to find some loose/tight areas on the 'ol pipes...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Well glad u made some headway. Keep us posted. Let's see some pics of the suspected areas before and after the repair.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

It was the exhaust coming loose. All taken care of. Thanks for the help though.