Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a real fancy piece of equipment... too bad it dosent have a cup holder..
https://www.psedealerequipment.com/node/201127

When skynet takes over and your gr8 trys to kill you.. would you know what to do with one of these...
http://www.jetequipment.com/en/produ...5&groupid=1728
thats what i have at home, along with a 100/15/2 amp charger

Last edited by BLK03GXS : 08-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.
BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK03GXS View Post
Thats a real fancy piece of equipment... too bad it dosent have a cup holder..

When skynet takes over and your gr8 trys to kill you.. would you know what to do with one of these...
thats what i have at home, along with a 100/15/2 amp charger

oh you have a gr8 too? whats your issue? im just saying what i know.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Get one of these and use it:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35034
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
U don't question the General, or his magic.

epic answer

yeah right!
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
zearchyo
GL Member

" The alternator is connected to the engine by a belt and generates electricity to recharge the battery. The battery makes 12-volt power available to everything in the car needing electricity (the ignition system, radio, headlights, windshield wipers, power windows and seats, computers, etc.) through the vehicle's wiring." Quote from howstuffworks.com

credit to sleepyalero for pointing this out.

" When an alternator begins to fail, or fails outright, the car's battery begins to take up the slack rather than acting as a capacitor for the system by receiving a constant infusion of electrical power from the alternator. Car batteries are not designed for long-term power use. They're designed to provide the vehicle with enough electrical oomph to start by juicing the starter motor with a surge of power and getting the whole works spinning." Quote from howstuffworks.com

" Diagnosing a dead battery versus a dead alternator is relatively easy. Simply jump-start the car and then remove the cables as quickly as possible. Then wait. If the alternator is failing to charge the system, the car will soon die again and the problem has been pinpointed. If the car runs and continues to run, then it's likely the problem is with the battery." Quote from howstuffworks.com

Quote:
Do not do this! It's a spectacular way to kill computers!

I have not thing against a.graham52, just to make it clear. I simply had to redeem my name and my good word, thats all.

Just another way to say, what I had previously said. So i guess its okay to test for faulty alternators like this in a DIY fashion

Can this be my first sticky then?

yeah right!

Last edited by zearchyo : 08-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zearchyo View Post
" The alternator is connected to the engine by a belt and generates electricity to recharge the battery. The battery makes 12-volt power available to everything in the car needing electricity (the ignition system, radio, headlights, windshield wipers, power windows and seats, computers, etc.) through the vehicle's wiring." Quote from howstuffworks.com

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
zearchyo
GL Member

Quote:
I’m not a genius or anything. If I’m wrong please someone correct me, just trying to help.

I guess, I’m a genius after all

yeah right!

Last edited by zearchyo : 08-27-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:

" When an alternator begins to fail, or fails outright, the car's battery begins to take up the slack rather than acting as a capacitor for the system by receiving a constant infusion of electrical power from the alternator. Car batteries are not designed for long-term power use. They're designed to provide the vehicle with enough electrical oomph to start by juicing the starter motor with a surge of power and getting the whole works spinning." Quote from howstuffworks.com

" Diagnosing a dead battery versus a dead alternator is relatively easy. Simply jump-start the car and then remove the cables as quickly as possible. Then wait. If the alternator is failing to charge the system, the car will soon die again and the problem has been pinpointed. If the car runs and continues to run, then it's likely the problem is with the battery." Quote from howstuffworks.com

I have not thing against a.graham52, just to make it clear. I simply had to redeem my name and my good word, thats all.

Just another way to say, what I had previously said. So i guess its okay to test for faulty alternators like this in a DIY fashion

Can this be my first sticky then?

Just to make myself clear seeings how I now know what ur saying.... the first time u said remove the batter cable (from the battery) leaving only one cable still attched to the battery is a huge no no atleast with newer cars with all these ECUs. Removing a jumper cable from the car (as u stated the second time clearly) is ok. no hard feelens
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
zearchyo
GL Member

so billytheman1188 have u taken ur battery to get check? probably the fluids in the battery are dried up! if thats the case, i think(as in im not sure if its safe or not, bc im not a mechanic or nothing similar) u add some deionized water to the battery fluids and it be okay(Seen tree shade machanics to this as well)

yeah right!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Well....it started last night. I was at my moms, come out later to leave and it's dead. No lights were left on....doors were shut all the way. So i jumped it, drove it for about 45min to an hour. Get home late last night. Go out 20 min ago to try and start it...DEAD....no lights come on...nothing. Last night it was almost dead but the lights still came on a little. I plan on getting an optima yellow top but idk how old this battery is. It's a diehard gold.....and the car started fine the last 2 weeks....idk. Short somewhere? Haven't started pulling the car apart yet....was prob gonna do it tuesday or wed....but i'm jw what you guys are thinking before i check with my buddy.

have you checked the fluid level in the battery...i know it is a servicable battery because that is what mine has...there have been a couple times when it has started to act up and adding water fixed the problem
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
oh you have a gr8 too? whats your issue? im just saying what i know.

lol second link should b ... http://www.jetequipment.com/en/produ...5&groupid=1728

idk man i guess my issue is everyone is quick to change a part before teaching/showing the troubleshooting as should be done...

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
so billytheman1188 have u taken ur battery to get check? probably the fluids in the battery are dried up! if thats the case, i think(as in im not sure if its safe or not, bc im not a mechanic or nothing similar) u add some deionized water to the battery fluids and it be okay(Seen tree shade machanics to this as well)

esp if you like to throw your car around corners... can cause some fluid to escape... seen it happen

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Thanks for the help guys. Havent messed with the car yet....been driving the xterra. Just dropped my kyb agx's off at a shop to have then swap the springs over. Cost me 105 for labor....not bad. IM PUMPED TO GET THESE AGX'S ON ALONG WITG MYBSWAY BARS! lol. I figure ne and my buddy will diagnose the prob im having. I learned about alternators/batteries but i forgot lol....thanks for the refreaher guys. Love u all! Haha
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Havent messed with the car yet....been driving the xterra. Just dropped my kyb agx's off at a shop to have then swap the springs over. Cost me 105 for labor....not bad. IM PUMPED TO GET THESE AGX'S ON ALONG WITG MYBSWAY BARS! lol. I figure ne and my buddy will diagnose the prob im having. I learned about alternators/batteries but i forgot lol....thanks for the refreaher guys. Love u all! Haha

you could have rented a spring compressor for like 25$ at autozone and done it failry quickly yourself.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
you could have rented a spring compressor for like 25$ at autozone and done it failry quickly yourself.

or rented one for free at Oreillys with a $50ish fully refundable deposit..
heck, I bought a spring compressor for 30..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #36
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
or rented one for free at Oreillys with a $50ish fully refundable deposit..
heck, I bought a spring compressor for 30..

that too.

save money, live better, compress your own springs.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #37
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
that too.

save money, live better, compress your own springs.

Buying tools is like Heroin... except for those nasty track marks...

Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #38
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
why dont u use a multi meter and read the voltage of the battery while the car is on (should be just above 14 volts) and then when you shut off the car watch the voltage drop. it should not go below 12. if you wait there for a minute or so and the voltage drops below 11 then you have a bad battery that is not holding a charge.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #39
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

mrbreezeet1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
u can test the alternator by ur self, its pretty simple man. First start the car, once its running disconnect battery cables from the battery, if car dies u gots bad alternator, if engine keeps on running its something else bro. Tree shade mechanics to this little trick all the time to troubleshoot faulty alternators.
Old Thread, But possible to fry something testing that way.
Use a volt meter.
Quote:
Just to make myself clear seeings how I now know what ur saying.... the first time u said remove the batter cable (from the battery) leaving only one cable still attched to the battery is a huge no no at least with newer cars with all these ECUs. Removing a jumper cable from the car (as u stated the second time clearly) is ok. no hard feelens
Oh OK, sorry, I thought he meant pull a cable while it was running too.
You don't want to do that on today's cars.

Last edited by mrbreezeet1 : 09-05-2019 at 11:52 PM.
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote