Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
2001 Malibu "The Bu" Thread

Well,

I decided that I should start a thread for this car... I've had it long enough and done enough that it deserves one...

I got this car in December 2007 with 70k on it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8260176960/
I replaced the pictured ancient Plymouth Voyager with a car that was superior in every measurable sense.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8260178030/

I drove it from 2007 to 2010 completely stock... I had always wanted to modify it but I simply needed it to get me to and from school reliably, which it did a very good job at.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8260179638/

Then in the summer of 2010 at 121k I did my first mods; a 56 mm throttle body (up from 52 mm stock) and cold air intake (yeah so the first way I tried to install it didn't work )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8259126767/

This caused the bug to bite very hard... it worked, it was reliable, and the car sounded amazing... I'd start it in the morning and it would hiss for a few minutes until warm... over 3k it sounded unholy good.

Summer 2011... it was time for another upgrade.. Scott (3500Alero on here) was selling a lx5 65mm throttle body with a ported 3x00 UIM. I did this upgrade, it was reliable and solved my idle issues (bad sensors in my old throttle body).

August 3rd, 2011... I did a full 2.5 stainless steel, mandrel bent cat back to a single in, dual out magnaflow exhaust.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8260221758/

From here, I went to the drag strip and ran a 16.01 @ 86 mph... disappointing to say the least.

http://youtu.be/jDxdGFuW_TA

Moving forward, I got a tune from MMGT1 which helped awaken the car even further. There's a part of me that wished I stopped here. The car was reliable, refined yet angry...

I then put a 3500 intake manifold... it had good power with this manifold due to the plenum volume and "runners" created by the spacers... however due to the lack of a good seal by the spacers and me not thinking to put UIM gaskets on both sides, the car never really ran right.

Next, in March 2012 I put some OBX headers with a down-pipe on the car.
I have a love/hate relationship with headers... they have a tinny sound to them that makes the car feel like a 25 year old work truck. That being said, the power increase was undeniable...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6633104...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/6786104880/

I then drove the car to the states and all over the place for work; lacking time to maintain or work on it. Due to this vacuum and exhaust leaks with the headers, I ate 2 catalytic converters..

At this point I was thinking it was time to get rid of the car... I had no time to fool around... Well I got it fixed up with some help and got her back on the road reliably putting 1k a week for months... I had put the 3x00 UIM on again at this point.

While in the states I took the opportunity to get some projector headlights for it.. I know have 6000k HIDs in these. I also took the opportunity to get some Eagles from Mfuller (Matt).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8260242828/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8259193619/

Next up I bought a 3500 external crank trigger... I was debating.. upgrade the 3100 or go 3500 and buy the car many years... I have this almost unprecedented loyalty to the original engine in the vehicle but a new engine would make much more power with the mods I have.... ask anyone who knows me I have been flip flopping between modding the 3100 or going 3500 for ages...

In early November 2012, I had speedbuilt sway bars installed by MMGT1's brother and took the car up a notch in handling.

Come November 2012, at this point I've got a stiff motor mount, have purchase a stiff tranny mount and a set of port/polished heads with a 3-angle valve job, milled 0.01" and had my ls6 springs installed ready to bolt on.

I had Scott do this install for me, he did this along with installing one of his port/polished LIMs as well as his poly filled trans mount. MMGT1 has since done another re-tune and I have the car in great running condition.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66331041@N05/8259187049/

All in all this car picked up huge power.. I sometimes still wonder whether I'm going in the right direction or not.. quite frankly the car is a dozen years old and rolled over 192k last week. You hear and feel the car squeak and clunk over any bump, the headers are still tiny and sound like a giant exhaust leak, even though they aren't leaking..

That being said... I can still stomp on the gas, then get 30 mpg on the way home and it will put a smile on my face..

Here's a short summary..
Mods:
CAI/WAI depending on season
MSD red plug wires
lx5 65 mm tb
P&P 3x00 UIM
P&P 3x00 LIM
P&P Heads with a 3-angle valve job, ls6 springs/seats and milled 0.01"
OBX Headers & Down-pipe
High Flow CAT
2.5" Catback to a single-in/dual-out magnaflow muffler
A tune
Speed-built sway bars (front/rear)
Strut Bars (front/rear)
2 x 10" Bazooka Subwoofers
Projector Headlights w/6000k HIDs

Future Plans:
Properly Sealed 3500 UIM
B&M Trans Cooler
Full Suspension rehaul (Monroe Sensa-Tracs + Eibachs, Control Arms)
Lots of Dynamat
Take care of the rust that has hit me hard this year with no time to care for the car

All in all, I'm not sure whether I keep this car much longer than a year or
two, how much time I have to fix it up next spring will play a large role.

There will be possible consideration for a 3500, or a cam + injectors + timing chain in the 3100... I'm not sure yet!

I want to thank all of the people that worked on my car along the way and all of the people I met at the meets along the way.. Scott, Paul, Tim, Ross, Linden, Pat and all of the other boys!

I'd also like to thank people on here.

Thanks if you actually read this far... felt like I should tell the story of my car!
She certainly still manages to frequently put a smile on my face!

I plan to take it to the track next year and see if I can break into the 14s with a 3100 and 4T40E!

I'll keep the updates going in this thread
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As far as getting work done to your car I've got to recommend 3500 Alero (Scott) for his installation, port & polish and general performance work; he does great work at reasonable prices.

As far as tunes go, you can't beat MMGT1's (Paul) tune.. the guy just does an amazing job and spends hours upon hours with your car making it perfect! Paul and his brother also do great install work, they had my sway bars done in no time and with great attention to detail!

Both guys have been great and very important in getting my car to be where it's at today!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome man I loved seeing your car at ass last year too. How are those headers holding up?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Headers are fine... sound tiny like I said but add unmeasurable performance.
I don't think the sound would bother you really... in the same way that rattles and shit only bother me and no one else.

They're worthwhile; if I was to install them again stock, I'd do a few things different:

1. Get metal OEM header gaskets, cut them and install them as opposed to the shitty paper ones.
2. If you don't have the heads off or good access to the bottom bolts of the rear headers, jack the car up, get a million ft. of extensions and tighten them from down there.
3. Get a proper crossover-pipe gasket. Make sure the bloody thing is sealed or you will get nasty exhaust leaks (same goes for S&S headers).

Also, I find it fun being able to spin the tires twice in 1st gear now...
Down low and then again up high when she winds out... only if I'm on my thin snows and there's a bit of moisture do I get the up-top spinning again..

Count-down to a dead transmission from this?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
T minus
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
happyisthealero
GL Member

happyisthealero is an unknown quantity at this point
geez man, you uploaded that video in 2011 and post it now, lol
happyisthealero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Awesome man I loved seeing your car at ass last year too. How are those headers holding up?

AGREED! and looks like your keeping it sexy, nice work.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Bout time you let everyone in on your ride... lol it's a nice list too can't wait to see it again next summer with the wheels on!!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Oh and I forgot... front driver + pass 2-stage heated seats
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Custom?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Lol ya he got a kit and installed them... they toast your ass good!! Hahaha

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
jawa