Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
hell you can even run the ecotec of the ld9 pcm/wiring...

what bugs me is that unless you swap ecotec/3400 none of your gauges will work...

that's why I have all autometer in my car... (you probably can swap a 3500/3900 but you'll have to use a 3400 harness/pcm) but you'll have to lose the variable cam of the 3900

if you want to go 3800... good luck, it's a torque monster and you'll have to redo/reinforce the stock frame and subframe of the car... It pulled my upper rad support like 1 inch even if I had urethane lower mounts....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/

Last edited by guiguilandry : 04-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
hell you can even run the ecotec of the ld9 pcm/wiring...

what bugs me is that unless you swap ecotec/3400 none of your gauges will work...

that's why I have all autometer in my car... (you probably can swap a 3500/3900 but you'll have to use a 3400 harness/pcm) but you'll have to lose the variable cam of the 3900

if you want to go 3800... good luck, it's a torque monster and you'll have to redo/reinforce the stock frame and subframe of the car... It pulled my upper rad support like 1 inch even if I had urethane lower mounts....

All of this sounds like a pita. I can't believe how the 3800 shredded your car! lol. That's awesome and horrible at the same time.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #23
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
no jap motors in an american car!

and the v8 screw that idea you know much it would cost just to make that thing work?

This.
For.
The.
Win.

You never disgrace an American car by putting some rice burner in it.
(But a 350SBC in a Japcrap is okay. Japanese car companies never had the balls to make a real engine, so we must slap a real engine in there)

Would be cool if someone did slap a 350SBC in an N body. The room is there, it would just be a really tight fit once all accessories are put into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
What are the ecotecs based off of?

The L61 was one of GM's first "Global engines". It's not really based on anything, but it tends to be more European than American. It was made as a joint venture between Opel, American GM, and Saab. IIRC, Fiat got involved in it (I think just financially) and the L61 found its way in a couple Fiat cars.

The name "Ecotec" came from Opel though. They had used it since the 90's.

One question though... has anyone ever considered swapping the Quad 4 in an N body? I've been told the 2.4 "Twincam" is a "refreshed" Quad 4.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 04-06-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #24
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
2jz has seen over 900whp off of stock internals... the rb26dett has seen over 1100.. I have seen crate 350s blow at 600 get outta here with that ultra patriot shit. I drive american but that's just plain ignorant

Last edited by xXManwhoreXx : 04-06-2013 at 02:25 AM.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #25
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
The Supra and Skyline engines are one off type of engines though... I know there's some beast Japanese and European engines, but mass produced; Americans have been known to put power in their cars. The majority of Japanese cars are underpowered, that's fact. Sure they can come up with a nice engine like the 2JZ, but not once did Toyota use that engine, even in its natural aspired form in a car that was meant to be sold at a lower price point.... for USDM anyways. (I know you would have brought up the Toyota Chaser). As far as the RB24DETT goes, that engine isn't even US legal. It's pointless to bring it up. USDM wise, Japanese cars plain suck. Sure there's a nice car every now and then, but the majority of them just suck. They're either underpowered, ugly as hell, or marketed to some weird demographic. I mean truthfully, there's a reason why you don't see people "preserving" old Japanese cars like you do with American, and thats why... historically, the cars have been underpowered or geared to either chicks, people looking for a small car, basic transportation, etc. Not once can you say that a Japanese car company put a large engine in a car that really didn't need it. Where's the V6 Civics? Where's the turbocharged Corollas? You'll never find them because in a Japanese car, you had to step up to a high end car like a Skyline or a Supra to get a real engine, not some fuel sipping "I can't get to 100mph" joke of an engine.

Don't think I'm coming with the "Uber 'Murikan" crap here. I respect a real car when I see it, but I refuse to praise an overhyped car like a Civic (which really, I don't see how it's considered a sports car when it's factory built to be basic transportation).

I leave you with this... Just because I thought it was cool.

If Japanese car companies had the balls to do this, like how the 454 and 350 found its way to just about every car, then I'd have more respect for Japanese cars.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #26
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
OK the skyline gtr is illegal in the USA but the rb25 and rb26,rb30. Are legal to buy and swap into cars. I like muscle cars and American cars but I liked them when they were truly American cars. But these days the Japanese cars are becoming more American than the original American cars. There are plenty of cars these days we get from Japan that are fast. I mean what American makes a good fast awd vehicle Japanese and European auto manufacturers have been making fast awd cars for years and they have the the best auto racing. Do not tell me the awd Cadillacs are good cars because they are not they have one of the worst awd systems. They should have stuck with rwd only. Right now the only muscle car I will buy is a mustang boss 302 or a Challenger srt8. Who makes the duramax engine for GM, Isuzu does and that is a Japanese company.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
My 2000 GLS 3.4l puts out 170hp at the crank... same year civic si 160 out of a 1.6l half the size all the power.. the k20 is over 100hp /per liter.. how would your alero feel with 340hp from the factory?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
My 2000 GLS 3.4l puts out 170hp at the crank... same year civic si 160 out of a 1.6l half the size all the power.. the k20 is over 100hp /per liter.. how would your alero feel with 340hp from the factory?

Honda's make a lot of power but they have no torque. But the sti has 305 HP and 300flbs. The old h6 had 228hp 230 flbs. I would give Honda more credit if their engines made asmuch HP as tq. But Honda's are really reliable my dad has an 97 accord with 240k on it the engine only has had a valve cover gasket replaced even the clutch is original.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
Honda's make a lot of power but they have no torque.

This.....

QFT.

I wouldn't mind hondafans if they realized that the hp to torque ratio on those cars are not 50/50 or 60/40. Honda makes good hp, I won't deny that BUT what good is having a K20 with insane hp when your torque is only a fraction of your hp. People talk about 700,800,900 hp but not once do they mention torque, and if you're really into cars you would know that hp keeps your car going BUT torque is what actually moves your car. Your car doesn't start from 0 with hp, it starts with torque.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
This.....

QFT.

I wouldn't mind hondafans if they realized that the hp to torque ratio on those cars are not 50/50 or 60/40. Honda makes good hp, I won't deny that BUT what good is having a K20 with insane hp when your torque is only a fraction of your hp. People talk about 700,800,900 hp but not once do they mention torque, and if ou're really into cars you would know that hp keeps your car going BUT torque is what actually moves your car. Your car doesn't start from 0 with hp, it starts with torque.
A
Yep that's why I went with a Subaru they have a very even hp- tq ratio I mean my friends. Legacy spec b makes 280awhp and 300flbs. Also they do not sound like lawnmowers when you put an exhaust on.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yeah, but you're missing the fact that the civic has more valves per cylinder and has a higher revving motor. Comparing that to a OHV family sedan makes absolutely no sense. They're not even in the same classification of cars. Honda obviously put more effort into that engine's performance than GM did for the 3400. The 3400 is meant for grocery getters in all honesty, but you still make it one bad ass of an engine if you put the effort into it.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #32
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
A
Yep that's why I went with a Subaru they have a very even hp- tq ratio I mean my friends. Legacy spec b makes 280awhp and 300flbs. Also they do not sound like lawnmowers when you put an exhaust on.

Subaru's aren't bad cars... then again, they're not marketed to people looking for basic trans... There's a reason they don't sell many cars. I personally wouldn't mind an Impreza, I just don't like having cars that douchebags typically get. Other than that, I'd jump on a Boxer Subie if the mileage and price was right.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #33
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
I mean what American makes a good fast awd vehicle

GMC Sy/Ty
TrailblazerSS / Saab 9-7x Aero
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Chrysler 300C AWD
Taurus SHO
Buck Regal Turbo/GS (2014)
Cadillac ATS
Saab 9-3 TurboX
Saab 9-5 Aero (2010-2011)

Quote:

340 HP is no good if it only makes a small amount of torque. I'd have to say that a 240hp Honda S2000 was one of the worst experiences of driving a car when i was driving it "easy". My C5 can easily cruise at 1500 RPM or lower all day long.

My Ecotec LHU only has 220 Hp, but the 258 ft-lbs at 2000 RPM sure makes up for it. (oh, and that's 110hp/L)
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

OK the Saab's are not made anymore same with the trailblazers. Awd caddys are crap but the rwd ATS is a lot of fun drove one for a week. The. 300c is the best one you listed. The regal is a glorified Malibu. The sho is OK. You for got an awd Saab the Saab 92x with the wrx engine.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #35
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

stock vs stock alero still whoops the civic
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 04-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #36
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Ok...this thread isn't here to argue whether import or domestic is better...He gave a list of motors he was considering, and asked us to choose what out of those motors would be better...he most certainly didn't have any import motor on the list so why does this argument need to be had so often...it has been made obvious many times over that some on the forum like import more while most on here like domestic better...Why don't we get back to what the thread was intended for
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #37
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
Ok...this thread isn't here to argue whether import or domestic is better...He gave a list of motors he was considering, and asked us to choose what out of those motors would be better...he most certainly didn't have any import motor on the list so why does this argument need to be had so often...it has been made obvious many times over that some on the forum like import more while most on here like domestic better...Why don't we get back to what the thread was intended for

agreed, but you know eric hes a civic whore.

eric, we beefin.

3.4 swapppppp
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 04-07-2013 at 09:58 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #38
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
sorry, but we all know that the 2.2 is the best motor that was put into the alero, some of us are just lucky enough to get them from factory

but ecotecs are also damn near bullet proof, and are one of gms best engine in my opinion, might even rival the sbc. my ecotec runs great, revs high, and has been through hell and back

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
^ this is true...ecotecs commonly clear 300k and there are a decent amount that have made it as high as 5-600k miles or more
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
WOW....this DEF turned into a nice little ricer convo. I love how the one dude (jlw?) is calling all these cars crap....like the regal and taurus.....dude....you work at a rental place...do you drive these cars hundreds of thousands of miles and test them all the time? Nah man....you drive them around the lot and to pick up customers or drop them off. The SHO is ok? LOL....365 ponies....i'll take it over anything else in that list. I do agree with the caddy comment....the older ones were CRAP....which means i will never trust a newer one. The Regal is pretty slick though...one of the best looking domestics IMO...the new malibu looks sexy too. Honda? GTFO. Toyota? GTFO. Nissan? GTFO. Saab? Really? GTFO! I know saab is part of GM but man.....some of them are junk....and ALL of them are expensive as F*CK to fix.

K.....now back to the thread....GET A CAR WITH A BLOWN 3400 AND SWAP A 3500 IN. Then go get your tranny swap done. Now you will have a much more reliable/powerful engine with your 6 speed. The swap is pretty straight forward and if you have any questions give Mike at milzy a call and he will help.