Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
rfoster23g
GX Member

rfoster23g is on a distinguished road
my car wont start intermittently

my alero is having trouble starting at least 3 weeks ago heres how it all started... so i was coming back from school i got home and turned it off and remembered i needed to go to autozone so i get back in and try to turn it on but all it does is crank so after trying several times that dayi decide to get it towed to the mechanic so the machanic says the ignition control module went out he cahrges me 475 for the job(personally i feel like he ripped me off) so my key has been hard to turn for about a year and it was getting worse so about 5 days ago it stopped turning the lock completely so i called a locksmith he said my key wasworn down so he cut me a new one but the lock cylinder was jammed and wouldnt turn with the newkey either so he started forcing it ( he got it to start like three times but then it got jammed again and wouldnt turn off turning with a wrench and a hammer so he thought he might have damaged it so we ordered a new lock cylinder and it still wouldnt start so we checked all the fuses not them and then we went to autozone for starter fluid we sprayed a little in the air intake and it sputtered and then started we drove it around for maybe 35 minutes turned it off then immediately back on and it started then i went back inside for maybe 45 minutes came out wouldn't start so i sprayed a little starter fluid and sure enough it started then i went to work where it sat for about 6 hours came out wouldn't start it wouldn't start i sprayed a little starter fluid but it wouldn't take it would run for a few seconds and then die so i had to leave the car a work any ideas what it could be? also i parked on a hill thought it might be something involved with it. thanks in advance
second
rfoster23g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I would have to guess either fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator...leaning more towards weak fuel pump though
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Minus the large runaround involving the key, been there done that.... it's your fuel pump. Easiest way to know, put the car in the "on" position, then listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump prime. It's a high pitched whine. No whine, no good pump.

Another way to see it (in the ecotec at least) is to check the fuel pressure rail. There's a nozzle that allows you to check for pressure. If fuel comes out pressurized then the car is getting fuel (this of course is if you actually do hear the fuel pump prime, or if you wanna double check). If the fuel comes out weak and more as if it was a small leak, then once again... bad fuel pump. Also could be your fuel filter that's clogged.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
rfoster23g
GX Member

rfoster23g is on a distinguished road
i hear the pump whine and i went out there yesterday and it started up just fine but when i went back up there it wouldsnt start at all not even on starting fluid again its really wierd im replacing the fuel pump relay this afternoon
rfoster23g is offline   Reply With Quote