Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
Justy311
GL Member

Justy311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know how to tell if you blew your amp. The LED is still on, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Thanks
Justin

www.justinspolicecollection.com
Justy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #2
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by Justy311@Aug 10 2004, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know how to tell if you blew your amp. The LED is still on, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Thanks
Justin
Check the fuses in your amp?
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
Justy311
GL Member

Checked the wiring, and everything, fuses looked great...Im lost, brought it to Ultimate Electronics and it wouldnt power up. Im confused on this. But, i dont know. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
Illarin

First thing I noticed when I blew mine up was the smell. And then there was the black mark on the vent where the flame shot out.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
bigd6983

lol flame.......thats crazy......well if you have any extra speakers lying around, and you say the lights still on try them to make sure speakers didnt go, check wiring, check rca cables to make sure nothing got pulled out, and last open ur amp up and look at it.......
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
javlin

lol flames its true mine did the same thing its crazy.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you had flames, the capacitors were probably what blew. They have a smell similar to a burnt fire cracker and hold most of the amps wattage. If the power light is on but nothing plays it could be the amp or radio. If you have a multimeter then check the rca or speaker inputs at the amp. Be sure to have it in A/C. If you have voltage from the head unit then the amp is at fault. It could either be a blown input or output. If you had seperate channels running (not bridged) then it is probably a blown input. Normally the outputs will go seperately. You could take the amp to a nearbye radio shack and order the parts for pretty cheap. The outputts will probably be a mossfet and range around four dollars to twenty dollars depending on size and quality. The part numbers will be on the side of it.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you have tested the radio and are certain the amp is at fault then post a picture of the amps internal parts. Try to make it clear and write down how you had the amp wired. List what head unit, how much voltage the head unit has, and what gain setting your amp was at. It will help if you know how much input the amp is capable of handling. this will be in the manual. I might be able to point you to the parts needing examined and how to replace it.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Justy311
GL Member

So it was the amp that blew, i brought it to circuit city, and he tested it out. Told me to get a hold of MTX (maker of the amp), which i did. I didnt know at the time, but they have a 3 year warrenty on it. If it blows they will fix it for free. I took it apart to see if it did blow, not knowing about the warrenty. So i am getting a new one for 300$ not bad since it retails for $500+. So, if you have MTX and you didnt install it, but a "valued" installer, there is a 3 year warrenty, good to know. Thanks for all the help.