Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
why should i amp it

So I have all polk mommo speakers, and a pioneer aftermarket, which we know is claimed to be 22rms.

My polks all take 100wrms.

So why should i amp them? whats the benefits? louder? cleaner? more bass? more highs? any of them?

My stereo doesn't really get distorted. Even at high volumes! So would it be worth it? I'm a freak when it comes to good sound, so im all about clean, clear, and loud.

Wouldn't I lose all my eq and stereo setting from my deck if i install an amp? Or do the settings still work through the rca?

Last edited by irondiezl3 : 07-06-2008 at 02:38 PM.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Well your greeness shows.

You will get brighter highs, more bass, more everything. Its all just better defined sound all around. Even less distortion.

No all your EQing is passed right on down the RCAs to the amp.

Anyone with replacement speakers and no amp to drive them either are stupid (IMO) or simply couldnt afford it at the time when purchasing stuff.

There is no comparison. Its a night/day difference.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
when i had mine running (don't have fronts right now) it sounded amazing. 400W on the 4 corners and 1400W for the two 10" subs i have. nice and clear.

the only downside is my door speaker amp is old, and needs to be updated, but i'm not gonna bother with that for a while yet. and that setup is all done half-assed by myself, who knows little about mounting correctly. i'm sure a pro installer taking their time doing it correctly would greatly improve my setup.

it just takes time and money to do correctly. if you have it, and love good sound, absolutely do it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
ok ryan ill need two sets of rcas correct one for fron one for rears? also alls i have to do is disconnect the factory wires from the speakers and rune the wires from the amp to them right? id rather do that than disconnect the wires from the headunit. if my speaker are 100rms and i only give them a amp that pushes 60rms is that even enough powers to make a difference or should i just go all out and get a bigger amp and give them the full 100rms. i can get amps that run 100rms but at 2ohms and my after makets as u know most are 4 ohm.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Ian 2000GL LA1
GL Member

Ian 2000GL LA1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ian 2000GL LA1
60Wrms should be fine on a 100W speaker, the way i look at it is this, if you have a sub, or speaker that is 100RMS/200Max you can safely run it at 100 obviously, anything more takes a trained ear to hear when distortion occurs, most of the time you can get away with more. it all depends on wattage too and the kind of amp. you often get more than stated from small amps. i have a rockford 500bd, 500W RMS at 2 ohms, i have it wired at 4 ohms to a 600W sub, gain at half, the sub can handle 1200W max, i've bottomed this sub a couple times, so this amp is putting out almost double stated power, if not more.

to make toe story short, the 60Wrms amp should do fine.