Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey all,

driving home from work on the highway cpl of days back and my ABS, trac off, and service vehicle soon warning lights all come on. holy crap. took my car to dealership next day. $120 (CDN) later they told me this:

paraphrasing service manager:
"your left front wheel assembly that sits under the rotor is where the abs system is mounted. the wheel assembly is partially corroded away and water is inside it where the abs sensor is.. this is causing your abs sensor to short out. Your abs hardness is corroded away also. Also, while we opened up the wheel, the transmission cooling lines are leaking at the crimp points. Total to fix is $1600 CDN."

price breakdown:
new wheel assembly - 500
new wheel harness (abs i think) - 400
labour - 300
+ fixing transmision cooling lines - 200
+ poop cdn 15% tax = $1600

me: "how the hell did this happen?? what could i have done to prevent this?"

GM: "nothing. it's cuz of the weather, the moisture in the air, the salt, etc."

me: "how come this is only happening to my car?? why arn't other 4 year old car (2000 4dr gx) in toronto isn't having this issue? this is a city driven car."

GM: "i dunno - if you had gotten the extended warrenty..."

i cut him off right tehre as i got even more angry when he brought up the extended warrenty.. cuz no i dindt' buy it.. cuz it was too expensive.

me (thinking): "<cartman voice> I hate you guys so very very much "

Anyways -- how badly is GM trying to rape me? or is this legit? has anyone had this happen to them? i will scan in and post the damn $120 quote from the dealership. Argh.. im going to take it ot a local garage and see what they say.... issed: issed:

Thanks,

A2K
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
misslindseysue

Most of us have had to replace a hub at least once, so that's not a big surprise. You can get the part for around $100US and install it yourself with the right tools if you're so inclined. There's a good how to floating around here.

As for the rest, I dunno.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
3.4Alero

The only thing i'm not sure of is the wheel harness. The wheel assembly is the hub, which is a sealed unit containing the wheel bearing and wheel sensor (for abs, traction control, etc.). Now coming out of that (and part of the hub) is a plug which you must connect to another set of wires that, I assume, go to the computer. That may set of wires may be the "harness" he is talking about, but $400.00 seems way high for that. I replaced my hub last fall. The part cost me $116.00 US at advanceauto.

As far as the transmission cooling lines, that's probably just labor to drain the tranny, replace the line (or maybe just the fitting that is leaking), and put it back together. Doesn't sound too bad.

Go to a couple of local mechanics and give them the info, then ask for price quotes.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Insane75

500 seems way too much for a wheel hub. I went to a local dealer and the price they gave me was 325 +tax. As for the rest I don't know.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
having any real problems yet?

Like 3.4 said really, it could be the hub, he had all 3 lights

i ran with my ABS and trac off lights for almost 1-1/2 - 2 months before i finally heard my hub going. A loud winding/buzzing noise as the wheel spins up

I'd say take it elsewhere and see what you get charged, the part is roughly $115 alone, but if you go to a mechanic you can be paying upwards of $330 in USD for the part and install. Under my past situation i had to get it done professionally, cost for part ended up @ 200 USD, labor around 115-130

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What about warrnty?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
a2k
GX Member

Warrenty -- in 2000 it was only 3 year bumpa-2-bumpa, so no fricken warrenty.

No -- havn't had any real problems that i have noticed.

I read the HOW TO on replacing the Hub and i can do it myself.. but i don't have a garage and its fricken cold outside.. if it can hold out till spring i'll try it. But i'll take it some local mechanics and see what they say/quote.

Thanks all.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:15 AM   #8
a2k
GX Member

here is the quote from GM:

Old 02-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #9
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
$422 for 1 hub?

CAN Dollars? am i right here

Even at autozone online i think you can get a replacement hub for $110 USD or so

I should've tried the job myself, the part through the mechanic cost me almost double

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
a2k
GX Member

Yep -- that's in CDN dollars..and yeah those prices are skyhigh..

keeping in mind that at Autozone it would be an aftermarket part.. and these are gm parts.. (not that i really care for the price difference)
Old 02-13-2004, 04:13 AM   #11
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do You ever come down to Buffalo,NY.?? The Hub replacement is a piece of cake & the Harness can be taken from a junk Alero or GrandAm. I can get You the Hub a heck of a lot cheaper than the dealer
Old 02-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
a2k
GX Member

Freeze - i might take u up on your offer come spring time man.. buffalo is 1 hr drive from me.. thx!

So the ABS sensor light went away this morning.. go figure the day im taking it into the mechanic.. damn murphy's law.... so it's an intermitant problem then...

Took the car into local mechanic.. he said he saw no corrosion or water/moisture problems at all. He also took the car on ice and spun around and the trac system kicked in correctly.

his advice was that when the abs light comes back on, bring it in, and prob will just need to change the hub (as ive read on this board is a common change), which he said would cost prob 200-300 bux.

so what does this tell us??: bunny gm.. they are bastard crooks. issed:

EDIT: please don't work around the swear filters
Old 02-16-2004, 03:50 PM   #13
StealthAlero

i had the exact same thing happen to me last month. They said my hub was fine and everything, but they charged me about $100 for diag. but it still came back on, i think its just a faulty sensor. Because it stopped coming on, and i've experienced no problems.

How long has it been coming on for you?

We have one of those OBD 2 Computers in my auto class and i checked the diag. my self and i have no codes whatsoever, so i think its just a faulty sensor.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:16 PM   #14
3.4Alero

If the light isn't on, then the code has cleared. Obviously you won't read anything then. Also, does that scanner read SVS lights? I know a lot of them only read SES lights.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #15
StealthAlero

Not sure about that, but the lights haven't come on for some time so i think i'm good now.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:59 PM   #16
Green Eyed Monster

I had to replace all 4 of mine but I had the extended warrenty......
Old 02-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #17
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthAlero@Feb 16 2004, 08:50 PM
How long has it been coming on for you?
It's been intermitent for me for 3/4 weeks now. I can live with it until the weather warms up so I can change the wheel assembly myself.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:01 PM   #18
a2k
GX Member

Does anyone know the part number for the wheel hub/assembly at autozone, advanced auto, or wherever else it's cheap?

Thx.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #19
overdrive75

Quote:
Originally posted by a2k@Feb 16 2004, 04:30 PM
so what does this tell us??: bunny gm.. they are bastard crooks. issed:
You mean the dealer, most GM dealers are privately owned, and love to take people to the cleaners on price of parts and labor. If you saw what GM allows them to bill for that Job you would be in shock it is considerably less, and more realistic.