Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
redrider07
GX Member

redrider07 is on a distinguished road
Dhp Pcm 1.0

So I Ordered the DHP PCM. Does it make your car accelerate faster at all rpms, and is there a noticable power improvement. I am excited to add it with my CAI and cat back exhaust
redrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
redrider07
GX Member

Also, if there was a problem or I did not like the DHP could I just throw the original PCM back on. I plan on keeping it just in case there is a problem. Finally, what are the skip shifts...is that hard on your car.....like skipping gears? Sorry, probablly a dumb question, but I dont have a lot of experience with the DHP PCM!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Frostbite545
GL Member

Frostbite545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Frostbite545
Well I could be mean and say to do a search for "DHP PCM" on this site and read the numerous threads, but I'm in a typing mood. With a CAI and Cat Back paired with the PCM you will feel some improvement, mostly in the shifts. For me, it felt like there was a lot faster of a shift, and less power loss between them, if that makes any sense.

You might get like... 8HP max from it, give or take. It lowered my 1/4 mile time by about .150 or so. Skip shifting is: Say youre in 4th, crusing at 55mph. You floor it, and the car goes straight to 2nd gear, not worrying about 3rd. Same can happen 3rd to 1st, if youre going below 39mph.

If theres a problem with it you can send it back to DHP and they will send you a replacement. Happened with mine when i thought it was broken, and they gave me a new one free, even paid for shipping. You are better off sending your old one in to get the $100 back, its worth it.

</rambling> Yeah, dont take any of this as absolute because I often have no idea what im talking about lol. Hope it helps some with your questions though.
- General Exclaim UHP Tires
- 2 1/2" Pacesetter Exhaust
- S&S Headers
Frostbite545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
redrider07
GX Member

Thanks for the info man I have one more question though! Is it absolutly necessary to get a case learn or crank positioning? I mean, if I install it without any problems, and no codes come on, do I still have to take it to the dealer for the case learn anyway. On www.pfyc.com they advise it, but do not say it is absolutly necessary

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Frostbite545
GL Member

I actually never did a case learn on it, and it specifically never threw any codes. Now ive gotten an O2 sensor that is throwing one, but I dont think that has anything to do with it... I just think it crapped out on me. The crank case positioning is just a way of re-teaching the car some stuff, like engine speed and timing at different RPMs from what i remember, so if the car doesnt give an SES, it should be fine and will learn on its own.

Be prepared though, for the first 2 weeks after you put that PCM in the cars going to shift like its retarded. Sometimes it will hold onto a gear, and sometimes it will shift way too early. Just drive it a bit hard and it will shift a lot like how mine does in my latest youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usni2llihl8

After that its straight so enjoy it lol.
- S&S Headers
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
redrider07
GX Member

Wow, I am not really liking the fact that it shifts like that for 2 weeks. That had to be really hard on the car! Maybe that is why they advise a case learn or crank positioning. I DO NOT want fork up the transmission on my Alero
Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Frostbite545
GL Member

Well its not messing anything up its just trying to learn the best shift points to get the most out of them. Its fine for the car like its not going to hurt itself, it will just consistantly stiffen up the shifts as you go. It also depends on how much you drive at different speeds and throttle. Drive more, and it might only take a few days.
- S&S Headers
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I have one and I did have to do the case relearn, but if you swap back the stock PCM you will not have to do it again.

Will the more mods you have, the more you'll get out of it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
Even if you car does not throw any codes you should do a case learn. you may not be getting the full potential of the DHP without it. It has been proven that you may not get the full potential of the DHP if you do not.... somepeople still do, but some do not (per clubgp/L67 members who there are much more DHP users)
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i started with a dhp1.0 never had to do a case learn they ahd to reprogram my pcm, due to differences the 2003 year model programming, you will need to install a 180* t-stat or your coolong fans will work overtime, the dhp is programmed for the 180. dont worry about the tranny shifting differences the changes are mild, in the dhp1.0, i have moved on to the dhp powertuner, and i have custom setup my shifting time and pressure at all rpm ranges and my tranny handles it like a champ, the minimum possible shift time and max pressure, but i also have a large external tranny cooler installed. yor shift points change to 5950 also.
i also have setup a switch for a tranny performance mode, first gear won't shift till 47 mph, second 108 mph, 3rd 125 mph and so on. the powetuner is a much better option, but its no longer available.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote