Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-21-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
wc_alero

Ok About a 2 months ago I had my white gauges and a silver bezel installed. It seems like every once in awhile my turn signals do not work. I will turn it on and nothing happens then 5 minutes later I will try it again and they work. Could there be a loose wire or something? Any other suggestions would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
fiestyalerogirl81

hmm i've been having the same problem with my turn signals as well. Way before I did anything to my guages. It's like the Alero has a mind of it's own. I'm going to Auto Zone to get my engine light checked. I"m also going to see if they say anything about the turn signals. If you find out anything too let us know. thanks.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #3
misslindseysue

Are your hazards working when your signals aren't? Call a dealer and ask if your VIN is part of the recall. If not, check all your electrical connections, it could be a loose wire, those'll drive you crazy.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
fiestyalerogirl81

hmm I never thought of that.....I'll have to check that out. Thanks Lindsey.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #5
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
most likely its the hazard swotch

try pressing the hazard switch in and out and play with the turn signals and see if itll work, if so then your on the recall list
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
wc_alero

Thanks I will have to try that next time.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
blueyezalero

you can try putting your hazards on for a couple seconds an dthen try the turn signal...sometimes this gets them to work again and sometimes it doesn't work. Gm is doing a recall but if you need the problem fixed now you must contact Oldsmobile. Oldsmobile will contact the dealership and tell them to fix it for..I think this is for the year model 2001 Aleros only and Malibus and another car but I don't remember. I was supposed ot get mine fixed on Wednesday but when I got to the dealership they told me that they don't have the information on the part and that they can charge me 95$ just to check it. I told them they were out of their minds, so I had to call Olds again. Olds called them again so now I am waiting for the dealership to get the part. Dealerships do not know anything about the recall yet that is why you need to call Olds first. Gm is not sending out notices until the second quarter of 2004. Anyways the dealership tried ot tell me it may be just a burned out bulb...I told them that just because I am blonde doesn't mean I am a damn idiot. Here is the number for Olds 1-866-932-4368. You have to tell them that you heard about a recall because some people at Olds don't even know about it yet.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:07 PM   #8
flalero

This has been a habitual problem for the Malibu, Grand Am, and Alero. I just hit the dashboard if the signals don't work. This helps them out a little bit. Besides that, there is nothing else you can do but get the switch replaced. I think the recall applies to 1999-2001 N-Bodies.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
alero35b

On my '01 alero there is a wire loom that runs along the driver's side fender in th e engine compartment. About half way from the fire wall to the radiator there should be a black box with a metal loop at the top of it. there should be a screw ran thru that loop into the fender under the hood. it grounds out your c/c and your turn lights.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #10
Oldsmopimp

i dont think they care anymore...lol, that was 2 years ago.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a recall on the hazard switch. I put all of the info in a different thread someone on here but I can't recall where. I had mine replaced a few months ago free under the recall and it all works fine now.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
dbailey
GL Member

Found my thread with the info in it. Look right around July 7th for my thread entitled Intermittent Turn Signals. Everything you need to know is in it. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
alerochick242

Thanks for reposting the turn signal thing. I have a 2002 that is doing the same thing- it used to do it only once in a while, but since it has gotten cold here, it has been doing it most of the time. I did find that I can push on the dash right under the hazard switch to make it work, but that is getting annoying!! I'm gonna see if I can get the part from Napa and do it myself- the dealership takes too long!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
wc_alero

Oh wow, talk about old threads lol

Yeah I got a recall on mine, but I havent taken it in yet. I am trading my car in to a dealer in 2 months anyway
Old 11-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #15
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alerochick242@Nov 21 2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for reposting the turn signal thing. I have a 2002 that is doing the same thing- it used to do it only once in a while, but since it has gotten cold here, it has been doing it most of the time. I did find that I can push on the dash right under the hazard switch to make it work, but that is getting annoying!! I'm gonna see if I can get the part from Napa and do it myself- the dealership takes too long!

It really didn't take that long and you can't get the part at NAPA anyway I don't think. At the dealer it's free!