Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
AndysGX
GX Member

AndysGX is an unknown quantity at this point
Why do the rotors warp?

Did we ever figure this out? Is the car too heavy, or the lug nut torque specs too high....?
Factory rotors warped, so my 'ho got GM replacements. Those warped so it got Powerslots. Those warped so it got eBay cheapies. Those warped so it got Duralast Golds. Those are warped.
Are there ANY rotors that will last longer than 12-15 months of daily driving?? No, I don't want the giant brake kit, just a badass stock size.
ARE wheels
Aleromod member: THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD
And these people can vote and drive on public roads....
AndysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Parts just wear out, it just happens.

I usually get about 20 to 26 months out of rotors, how hard are you braking? and if your doing stock style rotors, why are you not getting them cut?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I think it just happens, especially if you are heavy on the brakes. I just got my front ones replaced not to long ago. Only advice I can give is try braking not as hard and start sooner. It seems to work well for me. The only reason mine got warped the last time was because some idiot in a van slammed on his brakes in front of me for no reason, and we were on a highway. The car shook ever since. Feels good to have a shake free stop.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
AndysGX
GX Member

I'm a cheap ass, so I wait too long and they end up beyond turning.

Also being a cheap ass, I'm a hyper-miler wannabe, so I do time lights & such in order to brake as little as possible. My wife has a Mustang that is 400 lbs heavier, same driving conditions, her factory rotors are 6 years old and work fine.

Is there any benefit to expensive rotors like Brembo & Stillen? Or is it all stopping power with no durability?
ARE wheels
Aleromod member: THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD
And these people can vote and drive on public roads....
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysGX View Post
I'm a cheap ass, so I wait too long and they end up beyond turning.

Also being a cheap ass, I'm a hyper-miler wannabe, so I do time lights & such in order to brake as little as possible. My wife has a Mustang that is 400 lbs heavier, same driving conditions, her factory rotors are 6 years old and work fine.

Is there any benefit to expensive rotors like Brembo & Stillen? Or is it all stopping power with no durability?

By that, you mean you wait as long as you can before braking? If that's the case, you probably ARE braking to hard. Our cars aren't the best with rotors. Buying more expensive rotors probably won't help at all.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
i must have gotten ridiculously lucky with the random ebay brand rotors and pads i bought 3 years ago. ive gone a little over 40k on some off brand pads, and no name d/s rotors, and just now im going to have to change pads. rotors are fine tho. no warp at alli resally dont know what causes it, but seeing as its happened across many different brands of rotors, im going to assume its something on the car. dont know what, but thats what i would assume.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
How much is it to get the rotors cut? My rears are beyond cutting, but I've had them for over 2 years and the way they looked I'm sure they were on my car a lot longer than that (I've only had her for 2~ years). With the cheap price of rotors, is it really worth the time and money? Because let's not forget, time = money.
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
By that, you mean you wait as long as you can before braking? If that's the case, you probably ARE braking to hard. Our cars aren't the best with rotors. Buying more expensive rotors probably won't help at all.

it means he coasts as long as possible before braking very lightly. (i do the same when i can)

my brakes warp due to temp. almost ALWAYS in the winter one hard brake (due to idiots who can't drive in snow) with cold brakes almost always warps them.

but the other bad thing is, my rotors ALWAYS rust apart. the inner fins and outer rim rust to hell in under a year. . Like redog... i usually get a full year, almost 2 if i'm lucky.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Rotors warp easily on these cars????
I have to admit on mine, which only has 26K miles on it I am already wondering what was causing that.

So some of you are just changing them out without even changing the pads?

Obligatory pic:

Maybe you should stop buying Chinese rotors.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
considering the pic... i apparently always buy chinese rotors. Even the Bendix rotors i got, were the same as the one on the left.

So where do I find the ones on the right?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out in regards to adjusting angle of the rotor or something like that on these cars....

It's been 5 years since I've seen it...

Anyone know what I'm talking about??
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Rotors don't really warp. It could be your driving style. If I ever got that vibration in my brakes I could make a firm stop and it would go away.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Banks860
GX Member

Banks860 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Banks860 Send a message via Yahoo to Banks860
i went down to advance today to try to get driled an sloted roters but they didnt ave them..... what do i do?
Banks860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Before I got mine changed a couple months ago, I last got them changed back in 2006. Have not been changed until this year, and I only replaced the front rotors with used ones that were machined. The pads that were on the rears were the same pads that were from 2006, and I changed my front pads 2 years ago. Don't see how anyone could be going through pads and rotors every 12-15 months. Guess I'm a little too nice to my car. I try not to be to hard on the brakes. I want them to last a while.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks860 View Post
i went down to advance today to try to get driled an sloted roters but they didnt ave them..... what do i do?
Seriously? You think a chain store would carry drilled or slotted rotors?

Aleromod Upgrades > Performance > Brakes > Rotors
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
AndysGX
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
it means he coasts as long as possible before braking very lightly.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Rotors don't really warp. It could be your driving style. If I ever got that vibration in my brakes I could make a firm stop and it would go away.

That. Is an outstanding link. Thanks.
I'm gonna get some garnet paper and see how it goes. The local Home Depot doesn't have it, so i'm gonna try a lumber place Monday. I'll post the results, but hopefully its a $10 solution.....
Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #17
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Seriously? You think a chain store would carry drilled or slotted rotors?

Aleromod Upgrades > Performance > Brakes > Rotors

Not for the Alero, but some of the AutoZone stores do (or did?) carry Baer DecelarRotors
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Summit and Jeg's carry slotted rotors. I forget the brand Redog talked me into buying but they've been great on my car the past 2 years. Just don't buy ceramic pads, go for the regular pads. Ceramics don't wear or stop as well IMO (from personal experience), though maybe they do slightly help keep the rotors from wearing/warping prematurely..
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post

is number 6 true on our cars?
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
Summit and Jeg's carry slotted rotors. I forget the brand Redog talked me into buying but they've been great on my car the past 2 years. Just don't buy ceramic pads, go for the regular pads. Ceramics don't wear or stop as well IMO (from personal experience), though maybe they do slightly help keep the rotors from wearing/warping prematurely..

It's the Summit name brand.

Cheap and awesome.

I get 2 years out of mine, rears have to be changed soon and they've been on the car for 4 years now.

I get the center hub powdercoated though. They rust in the middle (surface rust) and look like shit behind open spoke rims. That's just my .02 cents

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote