Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
One of my first major mods for my Grand Am

Contrary to what most people think, I still have Kiana (My Grand Am) around. IDK why, but a lot of people ask me what I'm going to do with the Pontiac or if I got rid/getting rid of the Grand Am.

Is it really wrong to be young with 2 cars? I mean my insurance went DOWN when I added the Cutlass to my insurance LMFAO.

Anyways, if my presence on the forums seems lacking as of late, it's because I'm too busy in the real world running errands getting my Cutlass where I want it to be. As far as what's about to get posted, I've had these things laying around BEFORE I got the Cutlass but the annoying winds of the DC metro area have not allowed me to do much of anything on the Grand Am.

Anyways, should everything go right, by the end of March, the Grand Am should be on 4 discs, just like my Cutlass.

I got these parts on January 18th. They've been sitting since because it has decided to snow and be below 32 degrees.

I have the calipers and brake hoses in the trunk of the Grand Am, which is currently parked in Alexandria, VA. Otherwise, I would have posted a pic of those too.

So now I wait for a better week. With February almost over, I think this will happen very soon.

BTW, getting these spindles out is really easy. It only took me 2 hours to do so. The first one is always hard because you have to figure out all small details, but after that, it's cakewalk.

I kept the hubs because I didn't want to spend an hour getting the hubs loose off the drums, but for anyone using this thread as a reference, they DO interchange. They have the same part number at the part stores. The parking brake cables and brake hoses have different part numbers.

According to the parts monkeys at Advance Auto and Auto Zone, the disc one is longer than the drum one. If this is true or not, I will check when I actually do this.

Until then, stay posted, as I will be updating this thread with pictures and a possible "How to" if anyone is interested in that, which if anyone has read my how to's they know I try to be very detailed.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
You should def do a "how to" for people interested in this. It's good for the site. Also, MAKE SURE you use the correct torque specs for the stuff you put on. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, well I'll try to get pictures of this one considering that it took me a long time to figure out how to take them off. I've always been under the impression that Aleros had stock discs but I've recently learned that to be wrong.

I've already figured out the torque specs of the bolts for the spindle because I had to use the torque ratchet to take them off. They're 133lbft. I set the torque wrench to 140lbft to get them off and it only took 5 minutes to unbolt them. The hardest part is getting the bolts off from the strut as you have to bang on the top of the spindle then on the bolts where they stick out to get them out. Now I'm not sure if that's the same spec for Aleros but considering they're the same car structure wise, I think it's safe to say that the Alero's rear knuckles are 133lbft too.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah buddy! I agree how to it!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm a nice exhaust would be perfect for this set up :giggity:
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Lmao.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
<woj99>
GX Member

<woj99> is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't ever use your torque wrench to loosen bolts, it will damage your wrench. It should say it right in the manual.

Also, which spindle bolts are you talking about? Strut to spindle bolts? If so, those are 89lb/ft (from Haynes manual). There's nothing on any of the rear suspension that has over 100lb/ft as a torque spec. Loosening rusted bolts is not the same as tightening a bolt with clean threads, it's going to require much more torque so your method is not accurate.

Front strut to steering knuckle nuts require 133 lb/ft.

Nice upgrade though, enjoy the rest of the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Ok, well I'll try to get pictures of this one considering that it took me a long time to figure out how to take them off. I've always been under the impression that Aleros had stock discs but I've recently learned that to be wrong.

I've already figured out the torque specs of the bolts for the spindle because I had to use the torque ratchet to take them off. They're 133lbft. I set the torque wrench to 140lbft to get them off and it only took 5 minutes to unbolt them. The hardest part is getting the bolts off from the strut as you have to bang on the top of the spindle then on the bolts where they stick out to get them out. Now I'm not sure if that's the same spec for Aleros but considering they're the same car structure wise, I think it's safe to say that the Alero's rear knuckles are 133lbft too.

Last edited by <woj99> : 02-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.
<woj99> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
Hmmm a nice exhaust would be perfect for this set up :giggity:

If you can wait just one more month you won't have to worry about selling that exhaust

I know I've been stalling for the longest, but money's tight.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

Doubt it will sell lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Theres nothing wrong with being young and having two cars. I would have my goat parked and a beater alero is the rents would allow.
and all the ga parts are a direct swap onto the alero. and yes, I know from personal experience, the hubs from a drum assembly are exactly the same.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I am 20 and have my 03' alero, my 89' f250 and my project 65' thunderbird...you can never have too many toys
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
for most young people storage is the biggest problem... not all parents are cool with you having more toys then they do, especially if you don't pay rent!!! lmao... I found that out the hard way too...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
+1 for paying to park the car in the garage?!
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
pssh...at our house there is currently my moms burban, my moms old van, my dads 02 chevy, my dads 97 chevy, my dads 74' duster that needs restored, the 73' gmc 6500 dump truck, camper, 4 boats, 1 car hauler type trailer, 1 heavy equipment trailer, 1 mower trailer, skid loader, the telehandler might be home, my 65' tbird, my truck, and when I am home my alero, not to mention several other smaller toys.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
for most young people storage is the biggest problem... not all parents are cool with you having more toys then they do, especially if you don't pay rent!!! lmao... I found that out the hard way too...

A lot of people rather me be bullshittin in the club and that good stuff talking about "Yolo" and all this nonsense thats cool to do.

I rather enjoy myself with something that's mine than do some "live for the moment" type crap

Storage was the easiest part for me. I keep the Grand Am in Virginia and the Cutlass is with me in DC.

I personally feel the hardest part is filling up 2 tanks weekly lol
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
emncfi
GX Member

emncfi is on a distinguished road
Oh, there does come a point where I think you can have too many cars. We have 6 now, and it seems to be a chore just finding time to start/drive the all to keep the fluids and such where they need to be. All the same is the Jeep that the brake parts are in the back of one of yours too?
1994 Stealth RT twin turbo, (1 of 1000)
2001 Mercedes SLK roadster
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
emncfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

No, the Jeep isn't technically mine but I did drive it before I had the Cutlass. It's really a family car but since it barely gets used, I have the stuff in there. It was the car we used to go to the junkyard in Baltimore, MD.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited