Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Wheel Spacers

School me on them regarding an Alero.

I assume I should choose "wheel adapter" when browsing for them on Motorsport-Tech so that the spacer is a part I can bolt to the hub, and then have my wheel bolt to the spacer.

What thickness should I use? I'm thinking around 26mm or so. Should I just measure the edge of the tire to the fender? Curious if the stock studs don't sit submerged or flush at a certain thickness, which would cause issues.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah you definitely don't want to use a spacer because then you loose the length on you studs. I am curious to see how these wheel adapters would work and how much they are. That is a very good way to kick your tires out and have them sit flush with your fenders.
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
They're $140 for a set of 4. You can configure a setup on their site pretty easily. I still have to measure my center bore on the wheels.

I'm just curious what the minimum thickness is to clear the stock studs.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
They're $140 for a set of 4. You can configure a setup on their site pretty easily. I still have to measure my center bore on the wheels.

I'm just curious what the minimum thickness is to clear the stock studs.

Thats not bad at all. I have seen those for $50 or more a piece.

I am not sure on what the proper length would be to clear the studs.
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
emncfi
GX Member

emncfi is on a distinguished road
If you are wondering about using them, I use a brand called spidertrax on my jeep so my larger tires don't rub when turning. The install is obviously easy, you loctite original lugs to hold on the spacer, then use the new one as if it were not there, I have run mine now for about 6 months and have never noticed that they were there. One thing to note though, I have heard that wheel bearings will wear out faster with them on, but I have not experienced that either.
1994 Stealth RT twin turbo, (1 of 1000)
2001 Mercedes SLK roadster
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
emncfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
99-alero
GL Member

99-alero is on a distinguished road
buddy of mine has 1inch spacers on his ga, will try and get some pics
99-alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

Wheel offset and width will change the optimal size for the spacer, so I'm just going to measure and pick a number that will put the tire edge close to flush width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emncfi View Post
One thing to note though, I have heard that wheel bearings will wear out faster with them on, but I have not experienced that either.
The cost of looking better without getting wider wheels.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by emncfi View Post
One thing to note though, I have heard that wheel bearings will wear out faster with them on, but I have not experienced that either.

That doesn't make any sense in this application. It's not like you're trying to run 0 or negative offset wheels that stick out far. Just spacing for a little more tire clearance or a flush look shouldn't have any effect on the bearing wear. The load will still be distributed fairly evenly.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
it puts the wheel further out of the hub. gives more leverage on the bearing. its a good threory but not sure how to prove it. but i would agree to it anyways.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

It's not much different than running a wheel with lesser offset.

Now if you had like spacers like these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wideSpacers.jpg (47.2 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
when your measuring them make sure you do your backs too
Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
emncfi
GX Member

emncfi is on a distinguished road
Yea, and the other thing is I am just going off what I know about my jeep, which is a solid axle setup, so it may be different with independent suspension
1994 Stealth RT twin turbo, (1 of 1000)
2001 Mercedes SLK roadster
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
emncfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
i bought a set of 25mm or 1" set like you have for my wheels, and the original studs stick out further by almost 10mm... if you have dual bolt wheels they should fit on with no issues (might look a bit funny if your lugs are exposed vs hidden behind a cap) otherwise you could shave the lugs down seeing as the bolts are still on for 1" of threading and use lock tight to secure them...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah my wheels are dual pattern and have a cap. Good to know.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i have .75 spacers in the rear, it puts the edge of the tire even with the edge of the fender, with bolt on spacers, your rims need to have recesses in the back side for the factory lugs to clear.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/attac...d=13046548 14
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

I measured today, looks like 1.1 inches would be ideal.

I forget what the back side of my wheels look like, but they're dual 5 lug bolt pattern.. the way I'm thinking, they won't work. I mean if the other 5 lug pattern doesn't line up with the stock lugs.. it won't clear with the spacers on either.

I guess I'll have to take a wheel off and look, and measure 1.1" from the car's hub and see how much stud will be exposed and see if it will clear the wheel.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
you could shave the lugs down seeing as the bolts are still on for 1" of threading and use lock tight to secure them...

That's what I did with wheel adapters I used. I just shortened them by running a large (16mm) drill down the center and basically shaving them down.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I measured today, looks like 1.1 inches would be ideal.

I forget what the back side of my wheels look like, but they're dual 5 lug bolt pattern.. the way I'm thinking, they won't work. I mean if the other 5 lug pattern doesn't line up with the stock lugs.. it won't clear with the spacers on either.

I guess I'll have to take a wheel off and look, and measure 1.1" from the car's hub and see how much stud will be exposed and see if it will clear the wheel.

you could still use your wheels and spacers... they make them where you can switch the bolt pattern on the new studs, get the spacers that adapt from 5x114.3 to 5x100 and use that bolt pattern on your wheels then the original 5x114.3 will fit into the backspacing on the wheels... might cost a bit more, or again just shave the original studs down to sit flush...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
you could still use your wheels and spacers... they make them where you can switch the bolt pattern on the new studs, get the spacers that adapt from 5x114.3 to 5x100 and use that bolt pattern on your wheels then the original 5x114.3 will fit into the backspacing on the wheels... might cost a bit more, or again just shave the original studs down to sit flush...

Oh yeah wow, I'm dumb. That would work great. Costs the same regardless of what pattern I want. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
FYI - The PROPER bolt pattern for the GM platform IS 115x5. Might as well do it right. Also, hub centering and support IS important. just sayin...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote