Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #81
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
i guess it all depends on the one you get cause he has been running the same one as this at 19 psi for two years no problem... but i hear what your saying
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #82
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep it's a gamble, some explode and destroy the engine the day it's run, some last for a couple years.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #83
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Yep it's a gamble, some explode and destroy the engine the day it's run, some last for a couple years.

whats the main difference because i compared it side by side to a garret today(buddy has one on a mazda) and they look identicle
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #84
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Materials quality... build quality... It's not like you're going to notice a massive problem just by looking at it...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #85
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Materials quality... build quality... It's not like you're going to notice a massive problem just by looking at it...

true....
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #86
worknprog.99
GLS member

not to defend them 100 percent but they have good reviews and decent videos of there turbos
Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #87
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
not to defend them 100 percent but they have good reviews and decent videos of there turbos

KKK has a fan club too. My point is that you will find good reviews and cool videos about a lot of things that are less than stellar.. for example, that 'hurricane' turbo intake or whatever it was.. you know, the thing with the fan on the end.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #88
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrim View Post
KKK has a fan club too. My point is that you will find good reviews and cool videos about a lot of things that are less than stellar.. for example, that 'hurricane' turbo intake or whatever it was.. you know, the thing with the fan on the end.

yeah thats true..... my friends is doing good tho,.. i would think even if the internal propeller fins blew out they would get blown through the exhaust not the engine?

if i could get my hands on a garret that cheap like ion i would buy it in a heartbeat
Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #89
[ion] C2
636 whp

There's 2 impellers in a turbocharger..
Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #90
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

There's 2 impellers in a turbocharger..

And note that one side feeds INTO the engine. Thanks for pointing that out C2.

All it takes is 2nd rate workmanship, bad bearings, or oil coking or starvation, and the resulting bearing wear will create enough shaft play that the turbine and compressor wheel can (and probably will) both hit the insides of the housings. Bad ju-ju.

Wait, what am I talking about.....I have an ebay turbo....LOL.

It's been replaced once, for that very reason. So don't chance it, do it right.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #91
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
you want a garret turbo, there are two here locally........i would be willing to get them and ship to you if you are interested....

Garret T3/T04E 50 trim with .50 AR and .68 exhaust, this thing is pretty much brand spanking new! It has just seen idles, no driving. I'm looking for $350

Then a no-name turbo that has been rebuilt by Blaast Performance with garret internals, it's a T3/T04E .57 trim with .50AR and .63 exhaust
looking for $150
Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #92
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
you want a garret turbo, there are two here locally........i would be willing to get them and ship to you if you are interested....

Garret T3/T04E 50 trim with .50 AR and .68 exhaust, this thing is pretty much brand spanking new! It has just seen idles, no driving. I'm looking for $350

Then a no-name turbo that has been rebuilt by Blaast Performance with garret internals, it's a T3/T04E .57 trim with .50AR and .63 exhaust
looking for $150

i wouldnt mind the 150 one if you can get it....i need 2.5 in inner cooler outlet though is that what it has? cause my piping is 2.5in. and also is the wastegat already on ? because i dont know how to hook one on if it doesnt..
Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #93
worknprog.99
GLS member

i completely understand all of what you guys are saying and yes i want to do it right the first time.. but i got to thinkin even if it did have the impellars go bad and blow to peices wouldnt they either go out the exhaust and the other wouldnt make it into the motor because there is a screen on the intake before the throttle body on the stretch with the MAFS....so i dont see it getting into the engine itself ...please correct me if im wrong tho guys im here to learn so i can do this project right lol
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #94
[ion] C2
636 whp

Dude.... research.

It doesn't matter what the outlet size on the compressor is. You use silicone adapters. You're custom making the manifold, why can't you simply use an external wastegate? If it doesn't have an internal "already on" just go external, it's much better...

Sure there's a screen but you'll get bits making it through.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #95
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Dude.... research.

It doesn't matter what the outlet size on the compressor is. You use silicone adapters. You're custom making the manifold, why can't you simply use an external wastegate? If it doesn't have an internal "already on" just go external, it's much better...

Sure there's a screen but you'll get bits making it through.

thats what i mean is the external wastegate.. how does one get attached? i suppose i could go home and look at the one on this turbo tho to find out....

so you would go with the 150 dollar rebuilt with garret internals?
and how hard would putting on waste gate be if it doesnt already have one?

Last edited by worknprog.99 : 04-29-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #96
worknprog.99
GLS member

http://www.cxracing.com/

here is the website my buddy gets his stuff from. he assures me it will be ok especially at 8 psi... anyone ever heard of them? they seem to sell alot of stuff
Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #97
[ion] C2
636 whp

That's the company that makes the intercooler I bought.

Turbos, I wouldn't trust them too much. Any < $200 new turbo is risky. Don't cheap out on the most important part of the setup...

You need to quit having people buy things for you or having "your buddy" do everything for you. Research for yourself and figure out what's best.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #98
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
That's the company that makes the intercooler I bought.

Turbos, I wouldn't trust them too much. Any < $200 new turbo is risky. Don't cheap out on the most important part of the setup...

You need to quit having people buy things for you or having "your buddy" do everything for you. Research for yourself and figure out what's best.

he got the turbo for 265 i got it less. because he buys in bulk....

upon doing research just now no reported problems have been reported with this turbo well taken car of and low psi.... engine ruining would be hard from the impellers going out according to our mechanics at my work... some online rports of blowing impellers apart only a small handfull harmed the car, this brand specifically was rated very high for off brand turbos, i mean its no garret or something like that but its also not some plastic "turbo any car " deal either lol..

i brought it to them to look at and evreything, and he said if an impeller blew you would notice and just stop the car but as far as anything sizeable enough to get into the motor would be very unlikely, our master technician had an off brand twin turbo setup blew one to peices running 22psi and his motor was unharmed.... not trying to be an aragant rooster or anything im just showing my research findings.

Last edited by worknprog.99 : 04-29-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #99
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
If I were doing this all over again, I'd by kwhauk's garrett he listed up there for $350. Without a doubt.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #100
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
If I were doing this all over again, I'd by kwhauk's garrett he listed up there for $350. Without a doubt.

if i had 350 i would.... i can always upgrade later