Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
New to rims Help?

So I figured I might as well get rims now.. so what I'm wondering is what are the widest rims and tires I can go with to keep stock steering "no rub" I want 18's but how wide and what tires size? I'm new to this rim thing so I have no idea what I'm talking about. But say I got a 245/40zr16. what kind of rim would I need? and would that fit? Please help

and I've decided I want to run toyo Proxes r888's
bkathsalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Wow, Ok, your doing that backwards, find a tire after you find you rim, not all tires are made in all sizes.

if you have a 245.45.16 tire, you need a 16 inch rim.
If you want 18s thats ok, but i recommend a tire size that would keep the overall diameter and circumfrence the same, this will save gas and power + functionality.

Heres some helpful info
http://sites.google.com/site/aleromo...#TOC-Tire-Size
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

theres more info somewhere in a sticky but i cant find it at the moment

the key things to get right here is your center bore on the rim and the bolt pattern

offset depends on how wide the rim is and can be fixed with spacers sometimes, first lets see the rims ur thinking of getting

the easiet way to go about this, if u have the bank, go to a local rim shop and hit it up
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
^^^ sounds like plagarism too me lol.. although mostly correct.

the bolt pattern you are looking for is 5x114.3 or 5x115. im pretty sure the hub diameter on our cars is 3 inches...
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
its 70.something mm. dont know what that equals in inches.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
mfuller

70.3mm centerbore.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
the closest things to plagiarism there is the links, i do know a little bit about rims and i did an entire precal project on tires, how diameter affects tire wear and what not.

cancel that , the first line is similar to one Ryan From Ohio said to me when i asked about a amp for speakers i didnt have yet lol
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
The with of the rim max for the alero in the front is 18x8 and the rear is up to 22 x 8 rims as of now, depend on what your looking for 18 x 8's are nice ...

good luck on your search for rims..
Oh you might need some hub centric for the rims you get..
A57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
bkathsalero,
I know what you mean about not knowing about rims. Take my advice, SEARCH AROUND FOR INFO. Don't ONLY take these guys advice but also hit up some websites such as tirerack.com and the such, they also give good advice. I recently (within a month or so) put rims on my alero and they are beautiful compared to the stock 15' rims. I put 18" x 8" (height x width) and put on some 215 x 40 x 18 tires. You can only put 18" tires on an 18" wheel.
You will also NEED TO KNOW that the original offset of our cars is 42mm and the hub size (centerbore) is 70.3mm. DON'T make the same mistake I did and buy the first set of rims you like, to LATER ON find out that they don't fit. If you get rims with a different size centerbore than that of the alero (the 70.3mm afore mentioned), then you are gonna NEED hub-centric rings. I am running 18" enkie rims with a centerbore of 72.6mm. So I NEEDED a hubcentric ring to allow the 72.6mm hole (from the rim) to fit onto the 70.3mm hole (from the car). you can find some pretty good hubcentric rings on some websites. If you use the search button and type in "hub-centric rings" I am pretty sure you should come up with some of my previous posts as the problems I was having concerning my issues. Hope all goes well for ya.
-Smurf-
Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
bkathsalero,
I know what you mean about not knowing about rims. Take my advice, SEARCH AROUND FOR INFO. Don't ONLY take these guys advice but also hit up some websites such as tirerack.com and the such, they also give good advice. I recently (within a month or so) put rims on my alero and they are beautiful compared to the stock 15' rims. I put 18" x 8" (height x width) and put on some 215 x 40 x 18 tires. You can only put 18" tires on an 18" wheel.
You will also NEED TO KNOW that the original offset of our cars is 42mm and the hub size (centerbore) is 70.3mm. DON'T make the same mistake I did and buy the first set of rims you like, to LATER ON find out that they don't fit. If you get rims with a different size centerbore than that of the alero (the 70.3mm afore mentioned), then you are gonna NEED hub-centric rings. I am running 18" enkie rims with a centerbore of 72.6mm. So I NEEDED a hubcentric ring to allow the 72.6mm hole (from the rim) to fit onto the 70.3mm hole (from the car). you can find some pretty good hubcentric rings on some websites. If you use the search button and type in "hub-centric rings" I am pretty sure you should come up with some of my previous posts as the problems I was having concerning my issues. Hope all goes well for ya.
-Smurf-

my original tire size is 205 65 15. I want to upgrade to 17" or 18".. there is a website i went to and they said that 17x7.5 5x115 et:40 is good and 18x7.5 5x115 et:40 is good... (on your 18"s you got 18x8), does the .5" in make any difference or will i be ok?
JVC kw-hdr720 Double Din Head Unit
Polk Audio DXi691 Coaxial & DXi461 Plate Speakers
White/Glossified Plasti-Dipped OEM 15" Rims
Red Painted Brake Calipers & Drums
CarDomain home page is pretty much before pix.
The after pix haven't been taken yet... Still under construction
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
you updated a thread from 2009. my rims are 18x8 and the tire size is 225/40R18
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
I had 18x8 rims with 235/40/18 inch tires. I had the hankook vrus v 4 tires. I really liked them a lot.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
you updated a thread from 2009. my rims are 18x8 and the tire size is 225/40R18

dude, i never knew about this site until i bought my car 6months ago... so whether it was 2002 or last week i found this topic and decided to comment because im upgrading my car..
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
MiLo
GX Member

so while we are on the topic of your car sleepy, how many inches did you lower it?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
im saying papasmurf will most likely not reply to your statement to him.

on a side note, i have canuck springs, its 1.75-2inch drop.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
the biggest thing he was pointing out was that you were asking for a reply from a no longer active member

Not saying you have or haven't noticed it but in the top left corner of every post says the time and date it was posted so you can keep track of it.

EDIT: sleepy you just had to do the ninja post didn't you
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
im saying papasmurf will most likely not reply to your statement to him.

on a side note, i have canuck springs, its 1.75-2inch drop.

ok cool, I understand that he is not active and he probably wont reply but i quoted him because that is the comment i was referring to... anyone that knows the answer can just give me some input...
and thanks sleepy, im just asking about being lowered because your car looks really nice and im tempted to do some similar mods... but i wont bite your swag... lol
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
MiLo
GX Member

ohh btw, im new to modding cars, all the other cars i've had werent worthy enough to do anything to... so if i ask any questions just pretend like you're my big brother and load me up with everything you guys kno... i learn pretty quick but youtube is just retarded when it comes to finding what i need... time consuming.. thanx in advanced...
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
At least give the man a round of applause for not making new threads about topics already covered and actually using the search button! Not many people use the search button and instead go straight into "new thread".

But to answer your question milo, the .5 difference won't affect it. The largest width a wheel can have on an "N" body (meaning 99-05/06 Alero, Grand Am and Malibu) is 8. The largest recommended size for you to get is 18, but 20's will fit it just looks ridiculous and having low profile wheels equals a nasty bumpy ride.

You should be more concerned with offset than the .5 difference between a 7.5 and a 8.0 wheel anyways. Offset plays a big part on how the car handles with aftermarket wheels.

Also, if you want, you can always look for Mustang rims. SN95 and D2C Mustangs (the last 2 generations) have the same center bore and almost exact bolt pattern as most GM FWD cars do. The Mustang's center bore is 70.3 but the bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the offset is around 40mm or so (can't recall). 114.3 will fit a 115 bolt pattern but it's a tight fit.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
sleepyalero
GLS member

oh i respect him searching, def wasnt trying to be rude in any way about it, just saying.

but thanks, and hey, your car... your style do what you want, but if you copy all my aspects, shame on you! but even if you copy my suspension set up, who cares, tons of people have that setup. lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
At least give the man a round of applause for not making new threads about topics already covered and actually using the search button! Not many people use the search button and instead go straight into "new thread".

But to answer your question milo, the .5 difference won't affect it. The largest width a wheel can have on an "N" body (meaning 99-05/06 Alero, Grand Am and Malibu) is 8. The largest recommended size for you to get is 18, but 20's will fit it just looks ridiculous and having low profile wheels equals a nasty bumpy ride.

You should be more concerned with offset than the .5 difference between a 7.5 and a 8.0 wheel anyways. Offset plays a big part on how the car handles with aftermarket wheels.

Also, if you want, you can always look for Mustang rims. SN95 and D2C Mustangs (the last 2 generations) have the same center bore and almost exact bolt pattern as most GM FWD cars do. The Mustang's center bore is 70.3 but the bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the offset is around 40mm or so (can't recall). 114.3 will fit a 115 bolt pattern but it's a tight fit.

ok.. im takin notes... thanks for your knowledge, believe me it helps...
and yeah i've seen what you guys do to ppl that start another thread on the same topics that have been previously made... haha