Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I mean like daily driver power not just at the strip. I am seriously looking into boosting it and that is the weak point on these cars (beside rods and pistons). I searched and didn't come up with anything.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
300 i believe
Old 01-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Alero2k4
GL Member

And while were on the topic of trannies, I saw over on J-body, that people who had the b&m shiftplus and the auto trans had real problems when they took them off. The trans would slip way too much...any one here ever taken one off after having it on for 6 or more months? It may just be the different trans???
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alero2k4@Jan 26 2006, 08:52 PM
And while were on the topic of trannies, I saw over on J-body, that people who had the b&m shiftplus and the auto trans had real problems when they took them off. The trans would slip way too much...any one here ever taken one off after having it on for 6 or more months? It may just be the different trans???

no those people are Shloobs, because with the B&M shiftplus you have the option to have it off on setting one or setting 2.

what they did was probably left it on setting 1, which in time with city driving is bad for the clutches and gears. setting 2 is even harder.

i have the B&M shiftplus, and the only time i have used it was wwhen i need it which is close to never. for daily driving it is not needed at all.

after a while of driving with the shift kit on setting 1 or 2, the transmission goes through alot of stress, and in time, wears down the clutches and gears too where they can only function with the shiftkit on, and cannot shift or work in the stock setting.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
-Alero-
GLS member

thats all, its really just one of those things you use every once and a while, like in a drag race.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Tranny is pretty much bulletproof, but I cracked mine like an egg

I believe it's 280 ft lbs is the max, I'll look it up later

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
are you sure about your info? the crap about the b&m being hard on a tranny. i've always heard that its easier on the clutches.
who knows
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
215lbft according to what I have
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 AM   #9
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by 2fst4u@Jan 27 2006, 12:38 AM
are you sure about your info? the crap about the b&m being hard on a tranny. i've always heard that its easier on the clutches.
who knows
tru dat. Higher pressures means quicker shifts, which mean less stress on the internals.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Jan 27 2006, 04:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast Eddie @ Jan 27 2006, 04:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2fst4u@Jan 27 2006, 12:38 AM
are you sure about your info?Â;-) the crap about the b&m being hard on a tranny.Â;-) i've always heard that its easier on the clutches.
who knows
tru dat. Higher pressures means quicker shifts, which mean less stress on the internals.
[/b][/quote]

then its the gears my bad
Old 01-27-2006, 04:14 AM   #11
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
i had an autotrans in my car for awhile and then took it out. never had any problems.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
Alero2k4
GL Member

K...well I would really like to run more than that. What do I need to do to it to get it to handle more power. I am thinking 300+. Even if it involves a tranny swap. However, keep in mind, the cheaper the better (as in not going too overboard, I am not willing to take shortcuts and risk having to redo stuff).
Old 01-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
how areyou planning on getting at 300+?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
eag182
V.I.P. Member

let him take care of that, its good he's considering the tranny before any real mods. There is a TON of tranny info over at GRANDAMGT.com. There's a user there thats pushing 350lbft of torque and he's had a lot of tranny work done. His username is tehjohnson and I think he's has a DPP Turbo. There are threads over there about beefing up our trannys. I would join that forum and do some searching.

about a swap, I don't think thats realistic. There was discussion over at gagt and a couple people were talking about the tranny on the supercharged GP, but I'd do a search on that.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the one thing the B&M and auto interceptor does is increase the temp of your tranny fluid.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #16
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by eag182@Jan 27 2006, 03:49 PM
let him take care of that, its good he's considering the tranny before any real mods. There is a TON of tranny info over at GRANDAMGT.com. There's a user there thats pushing 350lbft of torque and he's had a lot of tranny work done. His username is tehjohnson and I think he's has a DPP Turbo. There are threads over there about beefing up our trannys. I would join that forum and do some searching.

about a swap, I don't think thats realistic. There was discussion over at gagt and a couple people were talking about the tranny on the supercharged GP, but I'd do a search on that.

negative, he did it himself, it is no kit or anything, he fabbed it up almost 100% by himself..
Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #17
eag182
V.I.P. Member

100%? I though he "collaberated". Isn't that his dyno on DPP's site?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #18
Alero2k4
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by double0alero+Jan 27 2006, 01:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(double0alero @ Jan 27 2006, 01:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>how areyou planning on getting at 300+?
[/b]

Are you serious??? I could go on for days about how I plan to do it... TURBO+Boost controller to start it off, then eventually a standalone ems, head work with valve train, possibly even nos, let's put it this way, I won't stop in my quest for more power. BUT before the standalone and all that garbage, I need to have a trans built up strong enough, as a matter of fact, that is priority numero uno. Besides I don't want to have to worry about it when I am driving around screwin off and racin' people etc...tempermental stuff sux, and I don't want to worry about it since I definately won't be 'kittyfooting around' (I love that quote...lol)

<!--QuoteBegin-eag182
@Jan 27 2006, 02:49 PM

[/quote]

Thanks, i will check it out. I joined and started searching over there, but I can'd find that user name or auto trans build ups...
Old 01-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #19
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
didnt john have some issues mixing nos with engine work?
Old 01-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #20
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally posted by Alero2k4@Jan 27 2006, 07:51 PM
Are you serious??? I could go on for days about how I plan to do it... TURBO+Boost controller to start it off, then eventually a standalone ems, head work with valve train, possibly even nos, let's put it this way, I won't stop in my quest for more power. BUT before the standalone and all that garbage, I need to have a trans built up strong enough, as a matter of fact, that is priority numero uno. Besides I don't want to have to worry about it when I am driving around screwin off and racin' people etc...tempermental stuff sux, and I don't want to worry about it since I definately won't be 'kittyfooting around' (I love that quote...lol)

its a lot easier to talk about making 300+ HP than actually doing it. dont get me wrong....it can and has been done (on cavaliers), buts its not as easy as you make it sound. besides your turbo, head work, standalone and tranny, you'll need an efficient charge pipe setup and intercooler, a good quality turbo exhaust manifold and free flowing exhaust at least 3" in diameter, as well as all forged internals. it'll take a lot of time, money and tons of research to get everything to work properly, but it can be done. this will be one helluva setup when its all done with....just realize it will take some time. get boosted