Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
sud1616

sud1616 is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone ever left the down tube from the stock air box and modified it so that fresh cool air would be directed to a wai? Just a concept I thought about after some looking under the hood.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
SSmite Thee Human

I wouldn't be too keen on modifying the (surely very expensive) stock assembly, in case I ever wanted to go back to the stock setup (to sell the car or whatever). I doubt if the stock box is big enough to be of much use anyway.

Incidentally, I'd wager that more cool air gets through the hole without the pretzel of a stock setup in the way.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
sud1616

It wasn't thebox Iwas worriedabout. I was thinking about removing thebox and modifing the down tube todirect coolair to a WAI. It seems the down fault of a WAI isthe hot air in the engine bay. I just thought if cool air could be directed right at the filter on a WAI from maybe behind the fog lights it would help. Like I said.....just a thought.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
99Olds

I think I see where you are going with that. Its a good idea. But I dont know how ull do it?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
It has been done by someone who I don't think posts here any more. The problem is that the theory works... but in reality it doesn't really do much. The thing is, you would think that the cold air from outside would just climb up the stock intake tubing and flow into the engine compartment because of the speed you are going. However, it really doesn't flow up much by itself.... it needs the engine to suck in the air. Also, in reality, more air comes into the engine compartment through the front air dam and the underside of the engine than would come in through the stock intake tubing.

If you could work it to put a tube out the front of the car, and run it through to the filter, that would force air into the engine bay, but it would also look ghetto as all hell.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
why not just get a cai??
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
I can think of 2 reasons....

1. If you leave the bottom portion of the stock intake (the piping and stuff), you could probably re-attach the stock box pretty easily if you had to bring it in for warranty repairs & stuff like that.

2. If you are really concerned about sucking up water into the intake with the filter mounted in the fender... this would help you not suck up water.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
ive done it, except i replaced the plastic part with some aluminum piping, i got , and its shaped liek a wierd S, and it comes out next to my driver side fog light. it doesnt really do much but, push up alot of small rocks and dirt in the engine bay....
Old 04-29-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
sud1616

Well, like I said, it was only a thought. Figured if anybody would know you guys would. Thanks for the replys.