Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

Sinatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Sinatra
Getrag 284?

The more research I do on the played out 5 speed v 6 alero, the more convinced I am it will never happen.

But, the more I research the common answer is " there was never a 5 speed made for a 3.4 liter so you have to use on from a similar 4 cylinder." That tranny is of course the 282.

The getrag 284 was used on the 3.4 liter v6 that came in the Camaro. It is also used On the 3.8 liter.

I searched the forum and the Internet mercifully. No one mentions the 284. I know some work will have to be done with the axles, PCM, flywheel, etc.... But has anyone come across the 284? Anyone know of a site where I can compare bolt patterns lol?
Sinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
The L36 3800 V6 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 3400 I believe. The 4T65 auto tranny was used on L36 on some cars. This same tranny will bolt right up to the 3400 V6 so technically the getrag 284 should bolt right up. Unless I'm overlooking something? Also the Camaro is RWD...I thought the getrag 284 was designed for FWD.

Edit: Doing a bit more research I found that the 5 speed in the Camaro was a 5-speed Borg Warner transmission. Getrag 284 is transverse so it is made for FWD. This tranny came in earlier model W-Bodies(Pontiac Grand Prix, Olds Cutlass Supreme and Chevy Lumina)

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now

Last edited by Shiwnath : 08-19-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

Digging the feed back. I thought the same thing with the Camaro being rear wheel drive. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag_282_transmission click on products and it will have the 284 and the cars it came on. All those cars are front wheel drive, and the Camaro is no where to be seen. What gives? I see a guy on craigslist has a 5 speed v6 Camaro for sale, I'm going to call and ask if it's rear wheel
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
All Camaros are RWD unless its a knock off lol

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

Grrrr I think those were 3.1 liter. Thread fail.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
mfuller

Here's the thing:
the Getrag 284 is what people usually recommend, because it had a higher load rating. But, they are not easily serviceable and use a more expesive pull-type clutch. And they are not quite so easy to find as......

the Getrag 282. These were used in thousands of V6 Cavaliers and Sunbirds in the late 80s to early 90s. They with several different gearsets and are midly easier to adapt. Extremely rare (and expensive) examples come with a Torsen limited-slip differential.

But both of the above choices are now fairly old, so even if you find a decent example it'll have a lot of miles. So, enter the......

Getrag F23. This is the manual transmission that was fitted to mid-to-late 90s 4-cylinder Cavaliers and Sunfires. You need to make sure to get one which came in a 2.2L (not Quad 4) car, as it has the correct bellhousing to mount to the V6. Keep in mind that this trans has a lower torque capacity and was installed in a much lighter car, so all bets are off on durability when you bolt it to a torquey V6. And the newest thing......

The 6-speed Getrag F40. These were available in 3900-equipped Pontiac G6s from the mid-2000s. You can still buy them new, andlow-mileage examples can be found relatively inexpensively. Durability should be fine, as they were installed in a platform similar to the Alero (weight and power). Bonus: you can get a Quaife limited-slip differential for less than a month's pay. Two huge drawbacks. The gearing sucks (the ratios are too widely spaced) and in stock form, they came saddled with a dumb dual-mass flywheel, which is heavy and not hugely condusive to performance applications.

All options have their own mounting and electrical (computer programming) challenges.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
You want to put a manual in an Alero or Grand Am there is one choice imo.... The G6 GXP 6-speed manual like mentioned above boyzzzzz..... Little bit of internal mods and you got yourself a tranny that will take anything we can throw at it. Milzy is doing them for 4500. Probably the next investment I make after the charger goes in.... well that and a custom tubular rear crossmember, but that is a whole other thread. MUhahahhahaha
Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I disagree, I'll take my fully built 282 with the gleason torsen LSD
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
I'll switch my f23 on my 3800 to the f40 this winter for a little more driveabillity next summer...
I'll keep my built f23 for the 3100 malibu I just bought...
yep 2 Aleros and one Malibu... the 3800 s/c will be 6 speed... I still daily drive my s/c ld9... and the malibu 3100 will be 3400 swapped(maybe) but 5 speed for sure...

with that said the f23 with a proper differential (quaife)or insert (team green/phantom grip) and a good clutch is capable of holding on a daily basis 400whp without any problem (but you need to use GM synchromesh fluid instead of the atf fluid) and add one more pint to get rid of the getrag growl....

The easy one to do is the f23... I can do it in one weekend with the pcm tuning too...

MMGT1 where are you located in Canada... I'm in quebec...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/

Last edited by guiguilandry : 09-12-2011 at 09:47 PM.
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Probably dealership diagrams for your bolt patterns would be easist and most details. I don't think and manuals would have that...
Of you get this done, well, it would be rockin!
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote