Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #21
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
i tapped into the fogs down by the drivers fog light. i already had my harness cut because i put aftermarket fogs on
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
There's nothing illegal about the low beams staying on with the high beams. You guys questioning it have to realize that this doesn't mean the high and low beams will be on all the time no matter what, you can just drive around town at night like normal with just low beams. It's when you switch on the high beams that the low beams will stay on, and you only use high beams with no oncoming traffic or anyone in front of you (most people do at least). There are many cars on the road that come this way from the factory, including every car that has single xenon HID low beams as stock headlights. Any laws regarding lighting deal with adding more lights onto the car besides what came stock.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 03-25-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
There's nothing illegal about the low beams staying on with the high beams. You guys questioning it have to realize that this doesn't mean the high and low beams will be on all the time no matter what, you can just drive around town at night like normal with just low beams. It's when you switch on the high beams that the low beams will stay on, and you only use high beams with no oncoming traffic or anyone in front of you (most people do at least). There are many cars on the road that come this way from the factory, including every car that has single xenon HID low beams as stock headlights. Any laws regarding lighting deal with adding more lights onto the car besides what came stock.
enough said! Thanks!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
yeah i was going to say i know for a fact that Infiniti has it were both highs and lows are on at the same time.

on a side note i know that freakout has done this to his car. hopefully he will see this and give us more info. i would like to do this to my car also.

DO WORK
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #25
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Regarding that diagram, I'm guessing you need to use one relay per headlight? And has this been tested out already that it will actually keep the low beam lit with the high beam? I just want to make sure it works for sure, I'll probably go grab a couple relays tomorrow.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 03-25-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #26
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Thanks to olds03alero here is his diagram with the colors I added to tap into highlighted. You can either run directly to a 12v fused source or you could tap into the orange wire of the head light the choice is totally up to you, also you can see that olds03alero used the headlight signal to trigger a relay for the fog lights to get them to stay on when the highs are on.
Attachment 3928

Oh, BTW the headlights are switched on the ground, not the positive.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #27
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
im going to be doing this also.. could always use some extra light
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #28
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Oh, BTW the headlights are switched on the ground, not the positive.
Yeah I know that if I explained that wrong then I apologize. The headlights have a +12 on the terminals and when they are taken to ground they come on.... Negative triggered.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #29
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Regarding that diagram, I'm guessing you need to use one relay per headlight? And has this been tested out already that it will actually keep the low beam lit with the high beam? I just want to make sure it works for sure, I'll probably go grab a couple relays tomorrow.
No you don't have to have a relay for each headlight because tapping into one headlight will do both. For example by tapping the orange on the driver side it is electrically like tapping the organge on the passenger side, and the same goes for the Pink, and Blue. The difference is where you have the Driver side that has two dark blue wires one wire is for the high beams and the other dark blue wire is for the lows. This is why I said it would be easier to tap into the passenger side, because there is no guessing involved. The second relay is for the fog lights to stay on with the highs and lows on if you so chose.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #30
olds03alero
GX Member

i have used this on my car for about 6 months and it makes a hell of a difference. and if you have any concerns about it being illegal if you get pulled over you can disable the system in about 30 seconds, all you have to do is pull the fuse.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #31
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
No you don't have to have a relay for each headlight because tapping into one headlight will do both. For example by tapping the orange on the driver side it is electrically like tapping the organge on the passenger side, and the same goes for the Pink, and Blue. The difference is where you have the Driver side that has two dark blue wires one wire is for the high beams and the other dark blue wire is for the lows. This is why I said it would be easier to tap into the passenger side, because there is no guessing involved. The second relay is for the fog lights to stay on with the highs and lows on if you so chose.
Ok I see what you're saying. You splice into the harness before the headlights instead of the actual wires in the headlights. Where exactly are these blue, pink and orange wires located that you splice into?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #32
olds03alero
GX Member

on the 4 pin connector that goes into your headlight
Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #33
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds03alero View Post
on the 4 pin connector that goes into your headlight
Absoulutely right, and to add to that you will notice a difference between the driver side and the passenger side.

4 Pin connector Driver side:
Dark Blue: High beam
Dark Blue: Low beam
Orange: Low beam
Pink: High beam

4 Pin connector Passenger side:
Orange: High beam
Orange: Low beam
Pink: High beam
Dark Blue: Low beam
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #34
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Perfect. Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #35
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Perfect. Thanks guys.
Spliner are you doing this now?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #36
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Not right this second, but probably today or tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure I know where everything is before I start splicing.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #37
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Not right this second, but probably today or tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure I know where everything is before I start splicing.
Oh ok I'm going to try and pick up a relay and hardware today and could let you know how everything works out...I wont get to the fog light until this weekend.

.......Scratch that looks like this weekend....Relays here are 7.00 each, and I plan on using a relay socket with mine so thats another 6.00 bucks

Last edited by lonnie : 03-26-2008 at 01:29 PM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #38
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Update!

Well I decided today to go and get a relay and some terminals and at least attempt to hook up the lights, and I have good news..following the diagram WORKS!!!!! Now the somewhat bad news is that the lowbeams are actually brighter when they are not on with the high beams, but this may be due to the smaller wire I was using, or because of the grounding spot that I chose. All and All it works, and tomorrow I will be hooking up the fog lights. Already have the other relay installed and the wire run, I just need to hook it up. So there you have it and if I find out exactly why they are dimmer I will let you all know.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #39
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Here are some pics they aren't the best but you can get the idea the first is with the highs off and the second is with them both on and you can tell cause the fogs are off.

Lows

Attachment 3943

Lows and Highs

Attachment 3944

Tomorrow I will add the fogs if the weather is stable around here.

Last edited by lonnie : 05-09-2008 at 10:39 AM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #40
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
aftermarket company (can't remember the name) sold a plug and play kit of gm trucks 1989 to ? that kept the lowson when you turn the highs on i know that the plugin for the headlights are the same between our cars and gm trucks
just a thought