Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 05-24-2020, 01:41 AM   #1
dbral
GX Member

dbral is on a distinguished road
Cloyes timing set with water pump

2002 2.2 Ecotec. Unable to locate a GM timing set for it so went with a Cloyes set that includes a water pump. Has anyone used this water pump or timing kit?
Worried that the water pump might be poor quality as the gears in the kit seem kinda cheesy compared to OEM. Everything bolts up okay but thinking of replacing the Cloyes pump with an AC Delco one. Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

Able to buy odd left over stuff from GM for this car like an E-brake ratchet assembly or shift cables or an entire shifter but can't get a timing set....go figure....or maybe I wasn't looking in the right places?
dbral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
dbral
GX Member

Decided to use the Cloyes water pump supplied in their kit along with their sprockets that are somewhat different than the OEM ones. So far so good. No leaks or noises thankfully. Really don't want to do that job again.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm not sure of the quality of the Cloyes timing set as opposed to the OEM one, but back when I had my Alero I used this site along with others for parts lol. They still have some stuff on there and thought I'd share in case you're looking for more OEM stuff in the future and hadn't heard of it. Hope this helps some.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...ine-parts-scat
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
dbral
GX Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, that is a GREAT site. Just ordered an Alero E-brake ratchet from there. Thinking that the balance shaft chain or sprockets or something was discontinued and could not make a complete set from them unfortunately. Oh...and orders from there are being delayed 10-15 business days depending on location due to Covid-19 right now according to an email they sent out last week.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
That01Olds
GLS member

No problem at all and agreed. Nice and it wouldn't surprise me if they were given the age of the car. Sometimes you can find the same parts for a different car on the platform though that has the same motor. It just seems to all depend on what it is and I believe it. A lot of things are getting delayed or backlogged because of the shutdowns. Especially if you ordered anything internationally as everybody responded differently.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
dbral
GX Member

Yeah, was kinda rushed trying to get the parts in time for last weekend. Most likely could still find the GM stuff like you said.

...."given the age of the car" Yep, hard to believe these things are like 20yrs old now. Hopefully because GM made like a bazillion of these vehicles they will continue get plenty of aftermarket support at least.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, got my tires rotated and balanced today, and they were shocked to see a 1999 that had only 57K miles on it.

I once had a Cloyes timing belt put in a car ~1989, and it broke pretty quickly. Like in a month. Been using Gates ever since with good results. Timing belt components aren't something to cheap out on.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
dbral
GX Member

Dang! 57K on a '99....
Melling and Cloyes were the two companies that came up when I searched for an Ecotec timing set. Guessing GM did not make a "kit" but it looks like you could buy some of the parts individually thru GMpartsdirect and maybe make your own GM kit like 01olds suggested. Hopefully I have better luck than you did with the Cloyes parts. Used a Cloyes double roller timing chain in my off road Jeep back in the 90's. Beat the living crap out of it with with no problems so that's why I picked them.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #9
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbral View Post
Yeah, was kinda rushed trying to get the parts in time for last weekend. Most likely could still find the GM stuff like you said.

...."given the age of the car" Yep, hard to believe these things are like 20yrs old now. Hopefully because GM made like a bazillion of these vehicles they will continue get plenty of aftermarket support at least.

No I totally get that and right time has flown by lol. True and hopefully they will like you said.