Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
MAF sensor

Feel absoululty free to laugh at me but where is the MAF sensor on the 2.4. I cannot find it anywhere. Just the Throttle body.
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
$hawn
GX Member

$hawn is on a distinguished road
The 2.4's don't have one they use a map sensor instead.
$hawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hawn View Post
and be very happy for that, eff MAF sensors
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
and be very happy for that, eff MAF sensors
And I suppose you have some reasoning for justifying that statement?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hawn View Post

I realized that about 10 minutes after I posted lol.
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
And I suppose you have some reasoning for justifying that statement?
They can't get dirty in the slightest or it throws everything off. Any minute change or problem in airflow will slaughter the car's ability to run properly. Maybe it's dirty, maybe it's faulty, maybe it's not even the sensor. Difficult to diagnose.

My car doesn't blow up if a charge pipe leaks or anything else happens between the MAF and throttle body.. a MAF based car has major issues. (My dad's Silverado even. I accidentally left the PCV hose disconnected from his air intake tubing. His MAF sensor is located way before that right at the filter. Tons of knock is generated and completely decimated the driveability under load.

They're just too touchy, and too prone to failure. I don't like them.

I get 31MPG, so don't say they give better mileage. Pressure based tuning can give precise results on speed-density systems.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
They can't get dirty in the slightest or it throws everything off. Any minute change or problem in airflow will slaughter the car's ability to run properly. ................

A well-calibrated MAF actually measures minute changes in airflow. Normally filtered air won't be a problem.

Quote:
My car doesn't blow up if a charge pipe leaks or anything else happens between the MAF and throttle body.. a MAF based car has major issues. (My dad's Silverado even. I accidentally left the PCV hose disconnected from his air intake tubing. His MAF sensor is located way before that right at the filter. Tons of knock is generated and completely decimated the driveability under load.

While the car blowing up due to a MAF leak is an exaggeration, any huge vacuum leak like that would be immediately noticed (as it should be, even without a MAF). It's good to be warned of a post-filter air leak. A MAF downstream of a blower, though, can be a potential problem, and crankcase fumes can dirty one up quickly.

Quote:
They're just too touchy, and too prone to failure. I don't like them.

I get 31MPG, so don't say they give better mileage. Pressure based tuning can give precise results on speed-density systems.

The MAF is a delicate device, but I never had one fail for a reason other than physical damage. Break it and the car is difficult to drive home.

I was testing the car on the road one time without the air filter, and left a rag in the engine compartment. As you might guess, the blower pulled it up into the intake, and it went FOOOOOMMMP! and took out the MAF. * Had the hood up in the middle of the intersection for only a minute, though, and limped home. Over time you get real good at failure-mode troubleshooting.

* edit: since then, I've run a stock-style "screened" MAF.

Last edited by AleroB888 : 04-24-2011 at 11:42 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
Ive only had one car where the MAF gave me an issue, it was a 95 5.0 Mustang, it had gotten dirty and caused it to run like complete crap. I pulled the sensor out, cleaned it, popped it back in and ran like new again.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
datwonguy
GX Member

datwonguy is on a distinguished road
i got a MAF sensor and it gives way better low end. true it does waste more gas but no other issues i know of other than that
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by datwonguy View Post
i got a MAF sensor and it gives way better low end. true it does waste more gas but no other issues i know of other than that
wtf? lol
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
oh god no... he went there
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
datwonguy
GX Member

datwonguy is on a distinguished road
works for me yo
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
Ion you get 31mpg and I get 34 mpg in my 2.4L non - maf car ( 5 speed of course ) but I do 50mph steady going to work for majority of the drive and then maybe 2 to 3 miles of city driving before I hit my work
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

and i have 2.5 times your horsepower

55 seems to be the best speed for mileage i've found in datalogging, at least for me
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
exactly my point too and we both have high mileage
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
34MPG? damn not me, I get between 16MPG and 22MPG city.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
I've gotten 32 on the highway at 65 with my LA1
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
and i have 2.5 times your horsepower

Where's the dyno sheet of said 375HP 2.4?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

Dyno numbers mean nothing to me. Quarter mile times soon, still buttoning up my cooling system.