Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
foxsdaddy67
GX Member

foxsdaddy67 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to foxsdaddy67
front brakes

the outside passenger side brake pad has wore out. all the others are good. any ideas why this is happening? I've notcied a creaking sound from that side when i step on the brakes. bad caliper?
foxsdaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Lube the calipers. Also inspect your lines also, one could have a bad spot and ballooning out
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
foxsdaddy67
GX Member

foxsdaddy67 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to foxsdaddy67
i cleaned them up and lubed them already. still wondering what the damn creaking noise is tho
foxsdaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
$hawn
GX Member

$hawn is on a distinguished road
The creaking noise is the caliper most likely, mine made the same noise, got new front calipers.
$hawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
My grand am only did that after the rain for some reason. But always stopped after a couple of days.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
mine always did it to, and if one side is worn more then the rest, you most likely have siezed up sliders, so might want to check that.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
the creaking is the piston. you have to use kluber fluid around the seal. its a TSB.

Brake Noise/Creak During Slow Speed Braking (Lubricate Brake Caliper)
1999-2003 Chevrolet Malibu

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero

1999-2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Condition
Some customers may comment on a creak type noise occurring when applying the brakes. It is usually heard only during slow speed brake maneuvers. If this condition exists, it should be able to be duplicated when the vehicle is not moving by depressing the brake and listening for the noise from the wheel-well/caliper area.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a caliper piston to seal interface issue during brake apply. If the caliper is removed and the piston is pushed back, the noise may be eliminated. This is usually only a temporary fix.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE CALIPER.

To repair this condition, lubricate the entire circumference of the seal at the caliper piston interface using Kluber Fluid and the following procedure:

Remove the wheel and reinstall two lug nuts. This will hold the rotor to the bearing surface so debris does not fall between the surfaces and cause lateral runout (LRO).
Remove the bottom bolt from the caliper assembly without disturbing the hydraulic system.

Swing the caliper assembly up so the caliper assembly is facing upward.
Thoroughly clean the piston boot with GM approved Brake Clean. Pay particular attention to the area where the boot interfaces with the piston.
Using compressed air, dry the piston/boot area.

Remove the cap from the tip of the bottle and carefully insert the tip, P/N 89022161, between the boot and piston, inward of the piston boot groove.
From the top side of the piston (reference diagram), inject the lubricant. With the caliper in the tilted position, the lubricant will flow down and work its way around the entire circumference of the seal. Let the caliper body assembly remain in this position for a minimum of 2 minutes to allow for the fluid to completely work its way around the seal.
Push the piston into the seal to ensure the lubricant is on both the piston and seal surface.

Important
Excessive fluid could appear as a failure and lead to a comeback. To prevent unnecessary future repairs, it is important to only use one bottle per side and make sure excess fluid is wiped away.

Wipe away any excessive fluid.
Reassemble the caliper to the vehicle. Tighten
Tighten the caliper bolts to 31N·m(23 lb ft).

Repeat steps 1- 9 on the opposite side of the vehicle, if necessary.
Pump the brake pedal to push the caliper piston back into place.
Reinstall the wheel and test drive the vehicle to verify repair.

Last edited by mastershake : 06-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
^x2 about the creeking noise. done it on my car a few times. i always used wd40 cuz im a cheap ass. as for the wearing of pads... iv found that these cars usualy chew the inside pads before the outers. if it was a hose you would have had two bad pads... or two pads that arnt doing any breaking. when something like this happens, go all out: clean rust off of the pads where they contact the brackets, clean rust from behind the tin slides, lube pads where they contact that brackets, verify you can ocmpress the caliper piston, and lastly make sure your caliper slides are in working order.