Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Badly corroded battery terminals and other weird issues

So, last week I had one of my headlights burn out. Not a huge issue because I found a replacement in my garage but prior to that, I have noticed some strange electrical things happening.

For starters, my lights dim really low sometimes when I come to a stop after driving for awhile. Sometimes its at a traffic light and the engine sounds like its going to quit.

Secondly, I've had a random "service vehicle soon" light come on intermittently. One day it came on when I shifted from park into drive and my DRL's did not come on. I manually turned my headlights on and the light went off and when I turned the light switch off, the DRL's came on like they were supposed to.

Now, after looking around google, I read that corroded battery cables could be my problem. I looked at my cables and the positive terminal is covered in a thick white crust.

What should I use to clean this? do I need to disconnect the battery to clean it?

Also, I connected my battery to my charger and it's pulling a steady 3 amps of charge. I'm wondering if the corrosion is blocking the alternator from charging my battery?

If you can help with any of this, it would be greatly appreciated before I get stranded somewhere!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
best thing to do is remove terminals and clean tem with a wire brush or a battery terminal kit you can get at your local parts store, they also make "battery terminal cleaner" that you spray on and it "eats" the corrosion.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Baking soda will neutralize it so you can safely clean it up. Now, cheater way...lol, pour water over the terminal, it will disappear, then remove, sand and clean up, reinstall